2005 Frontier/ new flippac weight issues?

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Just got my flip pac installed at FRP yesterday. Awesome shell, incredible storage/ flexibility.

Problem is with the weight in my '05 quad cab Nismo Frontier. I measured my stock rear fender height with 285/75/16s at about 36". The clearance dropped to about 34 3/4" after install.

While driving from Riverside to SD I did not notice any real performance issues on city streets. The freeway was a different story. Lots of shuddering (bed rolling and vibrating a lot) independent of the cab.

I am currently running stock rear suspension with PRG load leveler spacers up front. Cosidering doing a new all around lift or possible a rear block or shackle kit from PRG with air bags for the load?

With full water/ gas/ beer/ firewood etc, I can only imagine I will be dragging *** literally!

Help! Thanks.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 136
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 316

Bella PSD

Explorer
You might have bigger problems if a Flip Pac drops it that much. That's less than 250 LBS right. My Flip is full size and is/was 300#. I guess are bags would be best but that big of a drop sounds off, weak springs? My .02

If it were me I would remove the Flip and have a 250# friend get in and out of the bed as you watch the springs moving. See if they are flatting out to quick, getting to close to the bump stop.... Does your truck spring pack have an overload spring?

Louie

Last edited:

mcm4090

Explorer
First off.....nice truck.

Spacers, shackles and blocks will not help you carrying a load. They are going to make it worst.

With the amount of weight you want to carry I would skip AAL and go right to replacement leaf pack like ARB's Dakar Leaf Springs or a custom leaf like from Alcan Springs.
ARB has a heavy duty and medium duty.
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/frontier-heavy-duty-rear-lift-leaf-pack-p-5937.html

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/frontier-medium-duty-rear-lift-leaf-pack-p-5938.html

In the front you would be off with stiffer spring or coilovers.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Old Man Emu on all 4 corners is what you need, I suggest the HD Dakars with the extra leaf and HD 886 coils up front if you intend to mount a winch bumper, if not go with medium :costumed-smiley-007

davidshourd

Adventurer
I have a 700# pop up camper in thebed of my truck. with stock spring and just longer shackles, the springs flattend out really quick. So I added the 4x4parts.com 3 leaf pack

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/frontier-leaf-add-leaf-pack-p-4195.html

in addition to the 1.5" longer Hd shackles. The end result is a little bit of a front rake to the truck without the camper, but with the camper in it is perfectly level with the total choas arms and RadFlo coils up front.

problem with bags are they kill travel/articulation when offroad.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I suggest the HD Dakars with the extra leaf
This is what I run, OME Dakar CS019R with a D6XL added in (essentially a CS020R). Total of 7 leafs in the pack. With regular factory springs my truck would be sitting on the overload. The springs were fine in that nothing was being stressed (e.g. under the rated weight), but that it squats. Putting in 1 or maybe 2 full length springs is just the ticket.

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Thanks for all the great info. I will be looking into both 4x4 parts and OME. I am thinking a rear replacement is better than add a leaf or air bags. Solution in stead of fix??

Are 4x4 parts making their own springs or do they carry other peoples stuff? The site is hard to follow.

I'm leaning towards the medium duty rear leaf packs from OME. I think the constant 880# heavy kit may ride too rough? I'm not running heavy bumpers, but between 300# shell and gear prob about a 500# weekend load. Any thoughts on heavy/ medium duty for this application.

As far as the front goes, ARBs site dose not seem to explain what is involved with the OME springs. Just a coil over replacement? Might to PRG Radflo possible control arms as well.

Thanks for all the info gents!

mcm4090

Explorer
Are 4x4 parts making their own springs or do they carry other peoples stuff? The site is hard to follow.
The AAL's are theirs. The leaf packs are ARB's[/QUOTE]
As far as the front goes, ARBs site dose not seem to explain what is involved with the OME springs. Just a coil over replacement? Might to PRG Radflo possible control arms as well.
There is a coil and shock replacement from ARB.

There is also Prerunnerpart. They are have a combo deal on icon coilovers with Total Chas control arm.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I'm leaning towards the medium duty rear leaf packs from OME. I think the constant 880# heavy kit may ride too rough? I'm not running heavy bumpers, but between 300# shell and gear prob about a 500# weekend load. Any thoughts on heavy/ medium duty for this application.

I wouldnt play around with the rear springs, I recommend the HD Dakars with the extra leaf and OME shocks. You'll end up wanting the higher carrying capacity, I did. Do it right the first time :ylsmoke:

SD_Nissmo

Observer
Ok bit the bullet...made up my mind after all of your input and experience. I called ARB, 4X4 parts, and Greg at PRG. All three agreed on one thing: custom spring pack would suit my needs best; but offered these fixes.

ARB advised me to get the OME Dakar Heavy Duty (as you said Tacodoc).

4X4 recommended their three leaf AAL as the best cure.

PRG recommended his Deaver AAL coupled with airbags. Greg then suggested that I go to Deaver Spring in Riverside, or National Spring in San Diego for a custom leaf pack.

Long story short, I loaded up my truck with 15 gal of water all of my gear, tools, and limited recovery stuff and headed to National Spring (Im in SD). They took measurements and will form spring packs to ride at the right height (matching the front lift) and handle the load I specify. I informed them I would likely be carrying as much as 200# more than I have loaded in the truck. They will be using part of my stock leaf pack while adding more and forming the pack to suit the lift and needs. They will stand behind the springs and do all of the labor (including install, with new hardware etc) for close to the same price as the rear springs and shackles from ARB/ OME.

The way I see it experts are doing the work, no paying for leaf springs to be shipped around, and no worrying about leaky air bags. Oh yah and It will be ready in a day!

Cross your fingers for success! Any thoughts?

P.S. excellent customer service from Greg at PRG and Ben at National Spring. Pictures soon!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My springs are considered OME Dakar heavy. I also run the heavy shocks. Don't worry, 'heavy' is relative when talking about small trucks. A heavy load would be approximately a constant 500 lbs up to the GVWR and a FlipPac + camping gear gets you there. If you take the camper off the truck will ride rear high and sorta bouncy, but I don't find it too bad. Although if I took it off a lot it might get irritating, but it's fine for the occasional times.

gr8wrk

Observer
I have an '09 Tacoma. and also drove from SD to LB for the install. Same experience as yours on the way back. I installed OME Dakars with the extra leaf and even with all my camping junk, inc. on board water, I'm at least at stock height or a little above and the bed no longer moves around. They've worked great for me.

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
Hi gr8wrk.

When you say the bed no longer moves - do you mean that the truck overall is alot stiffer now?

I have an 09 Tacoma with a FlipPac on it and the box moves independently of the cab on the highway/bumps etc.. enough that I can see it in the rear view and more than my old '89 Toyota Pickup used to with a wildernest on it.

-a

I have an '09 Tacoma. and also drove from SD to LB for the install. Same experience as yours on the way back. I installed OME Dakars with the extra leaf and even with all my camping junk, inc. on board water, I'm at least at stock height or a little above and the bed no longer moves around. They've worked great for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles