Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '90 f150 build

90 with a 93 front clip? did you swap out the rear double windows as well?

I used to drive a 90 7.3L IDI 4x4, always thought it would look cool with the rear windows from the 92 and newer body style.
    01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 TRD access cab- Camburg uniball UCAs, OME 886 coils, 5100s
    Dynapro ATM 285/75r16 on American Racing Chamber teflon wheels
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

slow build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Hi. Stock these engines were set to 105 HP with no intercooler. With an IC, better turbo and turned up pump with stock injectors they have been dyno'd at 180- 190 HP and close to 400 ft-lbs at under 2000 rpm. I haven't touched my pump adjustment yet until I get the engine broken in. There are a lot of similar swaps that get 25 mpg plus, some claim they get 30+ but that is with 2wd I think. In double over I'll be turning 1650 rpm at 70, that is in the sweet spot on the torque curve so I'm hoping to do pretty good. Not sure on weight but suspect around 5000, I have to haul some demo mat'l to a landfill in a couple weeks so will find out then as they bill you by net weight. On the front clip swap, yes, I also swapped the rear side windows, never did like the look of the split windows. This project took about three times as long as planned and cost about 2X as much but I'm happy with the results but glad it's done! Looking forward to putting some miles on it now. Hopefully in a few years a FWC will be sitting on the back. I have more pics of flatbed construction, front end fabwork, etc if anyone is interested.
    1990 F150 with a '93 clip, Cummins 4BT, HE341 turbo, 366 governor spring, Dodge IC, M5R2 trans, BW1356 xfer, Gear Vendor OD, '79 D44 front, 9" rear, 3.50, TrueTracs F&R, Toyo 285/75/16 Open Country on ProComp alloys, hydroboost, '98 Explorer rear discs, boxed and plated hot dip galvanized frame, aluminum flatbed and bumpers, GM CS144 140 amp alt, KC 130w Dayliters

52wrench,

Kudos on a job well done. I do not envy your task of removing all of those frame rivets, they are a daunting task.

What did you use to reassemble the frame after the pieces were hot dipped? (The picture looks like nuts and bolts)

Cheers, Chris

Great looking truck. I like the newer style windows as well.

My wife was told many years ago by another friend/project widow to "triple the time and double the money every time." It has been pretty accurate so fart.

I really like the front bumper, looks smooth from the side, but aggressive from the front.
    Neil

Thank you for the compliments. Yes, removing all the rivets was a real joy. It was a combintaion of torch, plasma, grinder, chisel, punch, a BFH and some persuasion words. All of the holes were then drilled out to 1/2" in three steps using progressively larger bits so that the final bolt fit was very tight. The bolts are all black oxide Gr.8 flange bolts along with GR 8 flange lock nuts, the kind with mechanical interference, not the nylon insert type. Each bolt was then torqued to spec. The frame was held in alignment diagonally using the factory alignment pins on the frame as the cross members were installed then final torqued when it was all together. I did not galvanize the front crossmember under the engine, I did a lot of research on galvanizing and had some concerns with possible warping because of the three dimensional shape. Evidently I got it right because the alignment shop checked the rear wheel alignment and it was spot on. The front caster and camber was also right on so the toe was the only needed adjustment. Went to the Linex place this am and they had run out of product?? So much for inventory control, they said call tomorrow to see if it came in. Going for a ride now to put some miles on the rig. Had a leak on the PS system, looks like a hose end just needed to be snugged up. Keeping my fingers crossed..

Steve
    1990 F150 with a '93 clip, Cummins 4BT, HE341 turbo, 366 governor spring, Dodge IC, M5R2 trans, BW1356 xfer, Gear Vendor OD, '79 D44 front, 9" rear, 3.50, TrueTracs F&R, Toyo 285/75/16 Open Country on ProComp alloys, hydroboost, '98 Explorer rear discs, boxed and plated hot dip galvanized frame, aluminum flatbed and bumpers, GM CS144 140 amp alt, KC 130w Dayliters

I Like that 4bt, something to keep in mind for when my tired 5.0 takes its final breath which I fear will be sooner then later. Was it a pretty straight forward swap fitment wise? Availability of parts?

Great build!

Quote Originally Posted by hobobrando View Post
    I Like that 4bt, something to keep in mind for when my tired 5.0 takes its final breath which I fear will be sooner then later. Was it a pretty straight forward swap fitment wise? Availability of parts?
    I used the original hydraulic isolators that came with the engine then I modified the original engine brackets and had to make new frame brackets. Parts for the engine are not a problem, I got a lot of my stuff off Ebay. My engine came with a TH400 set up so I had to get the Ford trans adapter and flywheel. I used the original trans crossmember in the back. These old Fords are almost made to fit the 4BT. All the other stuff I did to the truck took most of the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12