Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I hope this is the appropriate forum to discuss this. I did a search and found a lot of posts in the gun forum, but I'm not necessarily thinking of guns per se.

When I'm camping in the backcountry I sometimes wonder if I'm being naive for not having some sort of defense mechanism other than my fists or whatever crude object I may be able to scramble if awoken to some threat. I generally like to live my life free of fear but I also always like being prepared.
I've been researching guns, stun guns and knives recently and I'm curious what others are doing.

I know this is a touchy subject but I value all the input on other gear and usefulness of it, so thought I'd see what you guys are doing. I really never felt the need for any kind of weapon when I was by myself or with friends camping, but now that I have a family, protection comes to mind.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kye

Yes. I/We do have firemarms when in the outdoors. Why..because we have that right and that's just how I/We roll :coffeedrink:
It all personal choice. If you feel comfortable doing so, then do it. If not, then don't.
I don't try to push my Constitutional rights on anyone, so please don't try to take them from me because you don't brlieve in them.

Have a Great day and God Bless Everyone:wavey:

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
When I'm camping in the backcountry I sometimes wonder if I'm being naive for not having some sort of defense mechanism other than my fists or whatever crude object I may be able to scramble if awoken to some threat. I generally like to live my life free of fear but I also always like being prepared.

You are not naive. I have had a hyaena walk up to within 15 feet of me when I was by myself, armed only with a Mag light. My husband chased off two would be thieves from our truck, armed with a tent pole. We chased off baboons by pretending to have a sling shot (clearly they have had encounters with the real thing). But we've also packed up camp in under five minutes and left when things just didn't feel right.

You are not naive, but if you are uncomfortable you should check into "some sort of defense mechanism". As long as you are familiar with local regulations, and proper safety, I see no problem with it.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Oh please. For somebody so intelligent to submit such annecdotal evidence for consideration in this debate... It's rididculous.

How about this, you Google Shannon Hannah. This story is still unfolding as it only occured last Friday. Dean Brown dated Shannon for 4 years before breaking up with her a month ago. On Thursday night, for reasons as-yet unknown, the mother let Dean into the house to stay over. Shannon's father was working the midnight shift. Shannon's father is a hunter and presumably had guns in the house.

Something happened that night, and Dean shot and killed Shannon's mother and sister, and shot but did not kill Shannon, then fled. The father came home from work and discovered the scene. It is believed that Dean used the father's gun to commit the crime.

I wonder how Mr. Hannah feels about his 'lawful' choice today?

Well, we don't know how firearms (if any were there at all, hunter could be bow hunter, black powder hunter, trapper) were stored. It sounds as though he had literally no impact on the events, except to have gone to work. The mother seems to have demonstrated particularly poor judgment in that case. BTW, WTH is an 18 year old doing being the 'boyfriend' of a 14 year old girl?

On the other hand, Mr. Carpenter took the state at it's word, that they would be responsible for defending his family. So did Mr. Hannah, but he lacked any frame of reference to a society where he had the right to defend himself, as we enjoy in the United States. Three of Mr. Carpenters children were killed while a fourth, who could have stopped the carnage, was denied by the state from having the resources to do so. Maybe she wouldn't have stopped it: Maybe she would have been killed as well. But one thing is certain, a 14 year old girl was outmatched by a grown male with a pitchfork, and because the law mandated that the guns be locked up so a competent person couldn't get to them, three kids died.

And such laws do very little to protect anyone, even absent the massive failures such as this. Very few children are accidentally killed by firearms. Every such death is a tragedy, but if our goal is a completely safe society lets do away with bath tubs, swimming pools and 5 gallon buckets, all of which are responsible for more accidental child deaths than firearms.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't try to push my Constitutional rights on anyone, so please don't try to take them from me because you don't brlieve in them.

This is the problem. Why does this discussion INVARIABLY lead gun owners into thinking somebody wants to take their guns away from them? That is NOT the point of this thread.

baca327

Adventurer
Yes. I/We do have firemarms when in the outdoors. Why..because we have that right and that's just how I/We roll :coffeedrink:
It all personal choice. If you feel comfortable doing so, then do it. If not, then don't.

Have a Great day and God Bless Everyone:wavey:
Amen...:clapsmile Children make things different they arent as strong willed as full grown adult. They get scared and animals can sense it, that is the reason most carry firearms in the wilderness not for themselves but for their family.. A human causing trouble most likely wont bother you if your open carrying, but a large predator doesn't know the difference.

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
This is the problem. Why does this discussion INVARIABLY lead gun owners into thinking somebody wants to take their guns away from them? That is NOT the point of this thread.

You obviously don't live in california...we are not only in a fight for our firearms, but our vehicles ,outdoor enjoyment and fishing. It's getting tough to be an outdoor sportsman in cali.

:coffee:

baca327

Adventurer
http://www.kpho.com/news/15557876/detail.html A firearm may have saved his life. Like many, my little ones are worth more to me than my own life. A firearm is a tool yes a tool to respond quickly to a life threatening situation. A firearm is worth its weight in gold in the wilderness when your families life is in danger. A full grown couple is less likely to be attacked than say two adults and their two children. I know we have all seen animals hunting and well I have never seen them attack a healthy adult its always a adolescent, weak, or injured. I hope those of you that don't carry a firearm and have children never encounter a large predator.

Edit another link to this story
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/23592238/ns/today-today_people/ If you read you will see his uncle fired one shot with his handgun, killing the animal.

No response, a mountain lion walked past 10 adults, straight to the children. 10 full grown adults....

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well, we don't know how firearms (if any were there at all, hunter could be bow hunter, black powder hunter, trapper) were stored. It sounds as though he had literally no impact on the events, except to have gone to work. The mother seems to have demonstrated particularly poor judgment in that case.

On the other hand, Mr. Carpenter took the state at it's word, that they would be responsible for defending his family. Three of his children were killed while a fourth, who could have stopped the carnage, was denied by the state from having the resources to do so. Maybe she wouldn't have stopped it: Maybe she would have been killed as well. But one thing is certain, a 14 year old girl was outmatched by a grown male with a pitchfork, and because the law mandated that the guns be locked up so a competent person couldn't get to them, three kids died.

And such laws do very little to protect anyone, even absent the massive failures such as this. Very few children are accidentally killed by firearms. Every such death is a tragedy, but if our goal is a completely safe society lets do away with bath tubs, swimming pools and 5 gallon buckets, all of which are responsible for more accidental child deaths than firearms.

I know very well how long it takes the police to get there.

Years ago I was sleeping over at my wife's parent's house. My FIL is a cop. In the middle of the night, some kids from "the project" went into his back yard and stole his patio furniture. He woke up, and took off after them with nothing but his tighty whities. He caught one and took him down. I was up at this point, and instructed to go back into the house to get his duty belt so he could cuff the kid, and my wife called the police. who instructed them an off-duty officer had detained a theif and needed assistance.

After handing over the cuffs, I realized I was standing there in the open, holding a belt with a gun I didn't know how to use, with an unknown number of delinquent youths lurking around, watching their friend being cuffed by a large naked man. I back up against a wall as my only defence against being jumped from behind.

It took the police 5 minutes to show up.

Even if I'd known how to use a gun and drawn it, I'm still standing there, in the light, them in the darkness, and now it's a gunfight. I did NOT feel safer holding that belt.

As for the Hannah case, I'm working off of local knowledge not yet published in the media.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Amen... Children make things different they arent as strong willed as full grown adult. They get scared and animals can sense it, that is the reason most carry firearms in the wilderness not for themselves but for their family.. A human causing trouble most likely wont bother you if your open carrying, but a large predator doesn't know the difference.

How does this reinforce use of guns for defence?

A predator doesn't know the difference. They're also very likely to grab, or be very close to your child before you know what's happening. Are you REALLY going to shoot if said predator is close to, or has a hold of your child? You certainly can't talk down a predator at gun point. So what options are you left with?

At least with pepper spray, you could hose them all down, they are most likely to drop the child and flee, and then you can seek medical attention for your child. Not the best situation in the world, but beats the alternative. Standing there with a shotgun, while your child disappears into the bush.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer

Years ago I was sleeping over at my wife's parent's house. My FIL is a cop. In the middle of the night, some kids from "the project" went into his back yard and stole his patio furniture. He woke up, and took off after them with nothing but his tighty whities. He caught one and took him down. I was up at this point, and instructed to go back into the house to get his duty belt so he could cuff the kid, and my wife called the police. who instructed them an off-duty officer had detained a theif and needed assistance.

After handing over the cuffs, I realized I was standing there in the open, holding a belt with a gun I didn't know how to use, with an unknown number of delinquent youths lurking around, watching their friend being cuffed by a large naked man. I back up against a wall as my only defence against being jumped from behind.

Even if I'd known how to use a gun and drawn it, I'm still standing there, in the light, them in the darkness, and now it's a gunfight. I did NOT feel safer holding that belt.

As for the Hannah case, I'm working off of local knowledge not yet published in the media.

Five minutes is pretty good, actually. Some department in Tennessee (Knoxville?) was in the news last week with a 13 minute average response time.

How long does it take to pitchfork, stab, bludgeon or shoot someone? Thats why depending on the state to protect you is folly: When seconds count, dial 9-1-1! The police are only minutes away.

Here is a blog that documents civilian self defense use of firearms, they don't lack for material: http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/

johnnyrover

Observer
When in polar bear country, then at least one person in the group has a firearm with most others carrying bear spray on their person at all times.

I have experienced a number of bear encounters, but a full grown male white fluffy at 50 feet is by far the most hair raising.

Otherwise, don't carry a firearm camping.

Despite the fact I have climbed out of my tent to grizzly and wolf scat at my doorstep or a full grown bull moose at 25 feet.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

Crazy story...Glad that nothing happened and you both are safe.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

A predator doesn't know the difference. They're also very likely to grab, or be very close to your child before you know what's happening. Are you REALLY going to shoot if said predator is close to, or has a hold of your child? You certainly can't talk down a predator at gun point. So what options are you left with?

At least with pepper spray, you could hose them all down, they are most likely to drop the child and flee, and then you can seek medical attention for your child. Not the best situation in the world, but beats the alternative. Standing there with a shotgun, while your child disappears into the bush.

Whem I'm out in the woods, my kids are never out of my sight, but yeah, if a mtn lion grabbed one of them, I honestly don't know what I could do to stop it...(This is hard to type..what a horrible thought)

I think my best choice would be pepper spray, a handgun or physically retaliating with a knife or my bare hands...anything that I have on my person and can put into play. There would be ABSOLUTELY NO TIME to deploy an unloaded/shouldered shotgun, let alone something that you have "not on your person".

I wouldn't mind at all, if I got tore up in the process of saving my kid.

baca327

Adventurer

No I would not use pepper spray, what if their child is asthmatic and could be die from inhaling any animal strength spray. Have you ever been sprayed with OC on any military grade(animal grade is close or more potent)? Those that use firearms and respect them usually visit a range. Practice is the key I'd rather run up the animal which any child being attacked the parents usually run up on it. A put the animal down before any more damage can occur. If you have children and hiking in the wilderness in something known as condition white which is carelessly walking and your children are not in view you will get a harsh reality check if a predator catches you slipping. I'm always scanning the surroundings looking for any possible threat. Those who have children will understand me. I would rather fire a warning shot and scare the animal on the approach than try and scare or throw sticks to no avail. Have you ever been stalked by a mountain lion? I tell you a mountain lion is not like a bear or pack animals but they hunt with stealth. If you have seconds to react I would take a handgun to put the animal down. What if the winds blowing and pepper spray is blown right back in your face. Is your child safer with you incapacitated and their head in the animals mouth. Practice, is what those that carry should do. It takes no longer than 5 seconds pull my pistol and be aiming, most likely even less. How long does it take you to dig in your pocket for your spray or do you carry it on your hip like Dog the bounty hunter. If you have children and carry unarmed, I pray for you and their safety and that wind is in your favor.

Edit: I don't know where you come from but I have never seen a fellow hiker carrying a shotgun. I have seen many carrying a pistol.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
So, the 49 hookers in Van shouldn't have been there? The 3 that Homolka/Bernardo killed were just crap happening? The 14 Women in Motreal had it coming for being in an engineering class? The guy who killed the cop in Ottawa (and articulated that he was going over to Tims to kill someone else) didn't mean it? BTW, sitting in a patrol car is NOT having a firearm handy - try getting a wallet out of your rear pocket, a handgun isn't quite that easy because of the weapons retention design of the holster.

No, maybe if they were out camping they wouldn't have been abducted or stabbed? See... I can be ridiculous too. You are throwing red herrings to see what sticks.

You can depend on the state to defend you (and that works really well, in the US, in Canada, in Armenia, in Russia, in Georgia.....Rwanda, Sudan, Kosovo) or you can take steps to protect yourself. Your choice.

There's the rub. It has nothing to do with the State. I don't feel the need to carry around a useless tool for an eventuality that isn't going to happen. I don't carry around a operating system install disk when I'm at the race track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne