Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysol

Explorer
I sometimes have a weapon and sometimes don't. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I will probably have one. I don't however tell anyone (wife excluded) I have it so only I can get to it. I don't carry on my person though. It's locked away most of the time and if a situation gets a little hairy, it gets unlocked. I used to always worry about having protection on my all the time, but I found that avoiding bad situations is easier and if I accidentally get into a bad one, I can up my bid and make my access to a weapon easier. That's just my approach. I don't claim to be a navy seal everywhere I go and don't want to be. I wouldn't be able to relax if I was always worried about everyone. I don't look down on someone who wants to safely and professionally protect themselves and their family. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't look down on someone who carries until they tell me they do... That in itself defeats the whole purpose of it and says a lot about the person that they will show their "hand" at a moments notice. I normally don't hang out with these people. If someone is responsible enough to carry a weapon, they should be able to do it on their own and not rely on someone else "knowing". But that's just me.

Harmgrissom

Observer
While in the wilds I always have a firearm on me. Am I paranoid? No, I'm not worried about anything, but I've planned as much as is possible. Further I've been stalked by mountain lions on at least 3 separate incidents. So I'm cautious. I also have my children with me and on two occasions have encountered individuals involved in illicit activity. Specifically drug smuggling (they fired at us) and marijuana farmers (they threatened us). I'm more cautious of other people than I am wildlife, but I'm prepared for both.

But I've needed a firearm in 'civilization' more than I have in the wilds with people or animals. But the best solution I had? Move.

That an a Newfoundland. For some reason a 200lb black dog scares folks.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Just a reminder to both sides of the debate to keep it civil and on-topic.

I prefer the practical approach: carry up to what the law will allow, and what conveniently fits in the kit. Tooling around Arizona that might mean a pair of trailer-mounted UA 571-C Automated Sentry Guns. In Colorado that might be just a handgun and low capacity magazines. Walking around abroad just a phone and a big stick (where big sticks are legal, of course). If you're really worried about security consider some level of formal awareness and self-defense training. Knowledge and experience safely holstered in the brain are legal everywhere, and very easy to carry.

In the end, going is more important than carrying.

Carry everywhere, all the time....it's not that hard. I leave the house every day with my wallet, phone, keys and sidearm. ...just like I leave every day with a spare tire and insurance card.....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Scott Brady

Founder
What could my response be after you broke my finger for invading your space.

Did you read my whole post or did your emotions get the best of you?

BTW, Don,t travel much huh?

Why do these conversations degrade to childish banter?

I travel (internationally) constantly, yet concealed carry when I am in Arizona. Your assumption that me carrying a gun will result in me shooting you for cutting me off on the highway is laughable. Statistically, shootings like that are extremely rare and most often perpetrated by non-law-abiding individuals. The use of a gun must coincide with mortal danger. Your wife bumping into me will most certainly result in a pleasant appology from me. If you stuck your finger in my face, I would first warn you to stop harrasimg me, then I would break your finger if it continued. No different then how I would behave in Tajikistan.

Anti-gun, anti-concealed carry has a direct correlation to that person's experience with the tool and method of self defense. I am prior military and well trained. The gun is simply a tool, and it improves my ability to defend myself and my family from nearly any threat. The gun is much like the winch. The likelihood of using it is low, but when you need it, few other tools solve the problem. The winch is also dangerous, and requires training, practice and experience for its safe use. . . But when you need it... Installing a winch on my vehicle does not make me paranoid, it makes me prepared.

GregSplett

Adventurer
Why do these conversations degrade to childish banter?

I travel (internationally) constantly, yet concealed carry when I am in Arizona. Your assumption that me carrying a gun will result in me shooting you for cutting me off on the highway is laughable. Statistically, shootings like that are extremely rare and most often perpetrated by non-law-abiding individuals. The use of a gun must coincide with mortal danger. Your wife bumping into me will most certainly result in a pleasant appology from me. If you stuck your finger in my face, I would first warn you to stop harrasimg me, then I would break your finger if it continued. No different then how I would behave in Tajikistan.

Anti-gun, anti-concealed carry has a direct correlation to that person's experience with the tool and method of self defense. I am prior military and well trained. The gun is simply a tool, and it improves my ability to defend myself and my family from nearly any threat. The gun is much like the winch. The likelihood of using it is low, but when you need it, few other tools solve the problem. The winch is also dangerous, and requires training, practice and experience for its safe use. . . But when you need it... Installing a winch on my vehicle does not make me paranoid, it makes me prepared.

They turn to child like banter for the same reason left wing Talk shows always fail.You can not debate emotions.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I sometimes have a weapon and sometimes don't. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I will probably have one. I don't however tell anyone (wife excluded) I have it so only I can get to it. I don't carry on my person though. It's locked away most of the time and if a situation gets a little hairy, it gets unlocked. I used to always worry about having protection on my all the time, but I found that avoiding bad situations is easier and if I accidentally get into a bad one, I can up my bid and make my access to a weapon easier. That's just my approach. I don't claim to be a navy seal everywhere I go and don't want to be. I wouldn't be able to relax if I was always worried about everyone. I don't look down on someone who wants to safely and professionally protect themselves and their family. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't look down on someone who carries until they tell me they do... That in itself defeats the whole purpose of it and says a lot about the person that they will show their "hand" at a moments notice. I normally don't hang out with these people. If someone is responsible enough to carry a weapon, they should be able to do it on their own and not rely on someone else "knowing". But that's just me.

EXACTLY!

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Both are pathetic. . .

Agreed. And just to clarify my own thoughts on carrying while camping (from my previous post back there somewhere) I do not feel the need to carry while camping... I usually do because I can, and, I think it's probably a good tool to have with my gear. Some might say I'm parsing words but I think there's an important difference, since "need" implies I cannot function without it. And just to clarify even further, when I say carry it means it's in the vehicle 90% of the time... I rarely have one on me.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing most here that feel the need to be armed were born after 1980??

Anybody have stats. Not trolling, serious question.

What an odd demarcation. Did you mean BEFORE 1980? What's the significance of 1980 with regards to going armed?

/and I was born well before that year.

rayra

Expedition Leader
What happens if I cut you off on the road and then flip you off? What if you are drunk and bump into my wife in the parking lot. And I tell your drunk *** to "blank" off. And then stick my finger an inch from your face? You consider that an assault, a mortal threat or just appropriately invading your space. What's your response? Yours maybe measured and appropriate but don,t for one second that the narcissistic gamer generation will respond appropriately.

Should I go around wondering if someone carrying a pistol just lost their dog and broke up with their girlfriend?

Scratch the surface of a human and you get not much more than a pissed off chimp. Now let it walk around with a gun all the time.

This is a waste of time.

The logic goes, well he is armed so I gotta be armed.

Brilliant.

Blah, blah, blah.

ah, nevermind. Only took you three posts to reveal yourself.

rayra

Expedition Leader
This is a fine example of how some peoples thought process is controlled by their emotions.This person lives life thinking everybody around him is like himself and can not make decisions past his emotions.No critical thought process and spends his life gripped in fear that everybody around him is like himself.

news flash....they are not.

Exactly. It's classic fear-driven and projection. He's afraid so we must be as lacking in self control as he is. He can't trust himself with a firearm so won't trust anyone else to have one around him. WE're supposed to be limited and constrained in our Constitutional rights because of HIS fears.

MOguy

Explorer
I think you may be jumping to conclusions here and I suggest you may be assuming a lot about a person based on a short online comment.

A lot of people would endanger themselves to help someone else and I don't find that particular dangerous. It sounds... human.

Not sure how that makes sense.

I conceal carry to protect my family and myself. I am not a cop and do not want to be one. If I did every have to use my gun for protections it could lead to trouble even if I am doing it within the law. I am not willing to but myself at risk for others if it could cause hardship to my family. For me my family comes first, not others. However chances are if we are in the same area we would face the same threat so I guess I might be protecting others.

I live in a very rural wooded area. A couple years back we had a large rabies outbreak. I had a neighbor that had to be treated for rabies and that is nothing I want my family or myself to have to go through. It isn't as bad this year but rabid animals (feral dogs and cats) are a concern for me more than humans.

If you feel the need to protect yourself or your family that is your responsibility, not anybody else's.

As far as carrying while camping, I do carry for the same reasons I carry anywhere else.

Last edited:

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Not sure how that makes sense.

Yeah, it's not real clear. First, "particular" should be "particularly." Second, the context was my reply to someone who basically said a person who inserts himself into a situation where he or she is not directly involved was extremely dangerous and reckless. I was trying to say that I don't think somebody intervening in a situation is necessarily a dangerous and reckless person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior