Drifta Camp Kitchen

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I have been looking at the Drifta products for a couple of years. Yesterday I e-mailed the owner asking if he had a distributor in the US. The bad news is no he dosen't. The good news is he would support a group buy.
I was interested in the Car Back Kitchen but the Drifta 100,200,300 also look cool. He has a lot of other styles like one that attaches to a trailer tail gate, or one that pulls out of a trailer.

Anybody interested in a group buy on some of his stuff?

offroadchef

Adventurer
I looked a while back and there was a address in Washington or somewhere..

United States Orders/Enquiries

Contact Bob Curtis
Okanogan WA* * Ph: 509 422 4733

with the group buy what price is he looking at.

Markus

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
He said that he was removing the guy in WA from his website. Seems the guy got into other things.

I haven't talked $ yet just wondering if there was enough interest to get to that level of granularity.

offroadchef

Adventurer
Did he sound interested in setting up with someone new or just take care of it myself. To bad that I wasn't very good at working with wood, my dad has a nice wood working shop. I had the thought about building one myself.

offroadchef

Adventurer
durango_60 said:
Looks like a great package, I'd be interested in the group buy if the price was right...

Which model would eveyone be interested?

I would be looking at the 100 or 200

durango_60

Explorer
offroadchef said:
Which model would eveyone be interested?

I would be looking at the 100 or 200

Ideally the 200 but the 100 would be an improvement over my current situation and would probably a lot cheaper to ship...

SLOwag

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this up Rusty. I'm interested in the Car Back product, but I need to spend more time reviewing the specs and measuring my rig.

Good luck, it usually is tough to oraganize a group buy on larger/pricier items.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
SLOwag said:
Thanks for posting this up Rusty. I'm interested in the Car Back product, but I need to spend more time reviewing the specs and measuring my rig.

Good luck, it usually is tough to oraganize a group buy on larger/pricier items.

Combining all the places I've posted this up I don't see enough interest to warrant spending much more time on it. Given the base price of the Car back $590 AUD ($465 US) there would need to be a lot of interest to get the order #'s high enough to compensate for the shipping $. Even if they went by container.

If I figure this one out I'll post up.

offroadchef

Adventurer
rusty_tlc said:
Take a look at this.

Shipping would be cheaper.

Look at these examples. I can get into a woodshop, but I am not the woodworker/craftsman. I also sent a email to Drifta, will post the reply tomorrow.

Markus

offroadchef

Adventurer
This part of the email I got back from Drifta Kitchens:

It’s possible to set something up, freight of course is the problem. I’d have to send full pallets of kitchens to make it worthwhile, then they would have to be paid for before they leave. You’re not going to be sure you can then sell them. I have so many different types also. Everybody wants something different. Maybe I could send over though some DCB’s, that was what Dan was interested in. say if I sent 6 or so, you might be able to get a few people interested. Or say if I sent 10, you could find buyers for 5, then maybe you could fix me up as the others are sold. Once a few people get them, often their mates want them. There is definatly a big opportunity in the us, I really think it needs to be made there though, to our specs/design with our logo’s etc. ply is cheap there, freight to there is not needed, etc. but then that is a big job to set up. it needs someone there to do what I’ve done here. Who ever sells them , really needs to make them. unless they are made in china, it’s hard to make them cheap enough to w’sale them, as wholesalers generally want a large markup. So we sell mostly retail ourselves, thru the internet. I can wholesale them, but say the DCB would cost you w’sale $450 aus, sells for $650. plus freight over there. That’s not enough markup for shops. But with the internet, you can bypass the shops. Anyway, there something to think about, give me a call if you like, talk to you soon, rgds Luke

Luke Sutton

Manager

Drifta Camping Kitchens

p/f: 02 6558 2328

mob: 0412 640 417

www.drifta.com.au

Any words of wisdom.....

rusty_tlc

Explorer
$650au = $503 US
$450AU = $348US
+Freight???????
I'm not sure the market would bear that.

If I had the energy and the inclination I would consider hunting down a cabinet shop to do the work.
Without putting a pencil to it it's hard to say what the Materials + Labor $$ would be.
I'll check with a retired cabinet maker friend of mine. He might have a good idea.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles