Need to decide what tires and lift to run on my '03 Tundra

Petrolburner

Explorer
First off let me apologize for bringing up an endless topic of conversation.

I live in Florida, hopefully moving to California for a new job and then hopefully back to Phoenix soon after but may end up in Salt Lake City. So a large variety of terrain to run on.

I ordered Bilstein 5100s today for the front only. I would rather not lift the rear since I run a motorcycle up a ramp into the bed and it's already a pretty steep angle. I also sort of like the baja look so I don't think I will mind if the front is slightly higher than the rear. Measuring the fender to ground I need a lift of 2 inches up front to make it even with the rear.

I am undecided on which size tires to run, but I think I would like the 285 75 16 if they fit without lifting the rear end which I think they will from what I've read. I think the 255 looks too skinny and I may be unhappy with the look of it. I was previously set on getting the 265 75 16 but am thinking I would regret not going big in the first place.

I had Mickey T Baja Claws on my 84 and really loved them except for the terrible tread life. Loved the look, and sound of them. Mickey T Baja MTZ is pretty high on my list for the Tundra. Also like the Dunlop Rover MT Maxx Traction, especially the price.

Anyone have any meaningful advice?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Sounds like you need a good all-terrain. Look at the Nitto Terra Grappler. Also, check out what Tread Wright has to offer.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
To fit the 285s on the front your going to have to use the 2.5" setting on your Bilstiens. Plus planning on doing some hammering on the pinchwelds of the inner fender and losing the front mudflaps. With the DC Tundras there is no need to hammer as the front fenderwells are 1/2" longer than the AC though the front mudflaps still have to go. Wheel backspacing should be 4.5". The 255s will fit with only 1.5" of lift and pinchweld hammering. With the 2.5" lift if you don't lift the rear it will be significantly lower than the front for a pretty unappealling front to rear rake.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have a 03 tundra limited and wanted to level it out. I went with the bilstein coil overs and it worked great until I put on a ARB bumper and winch. I was running stock tires and had no rubbing issues. I now have RCD 6" lift and BFG's 33" and have not looked back. I love the BFG's and never had a problem with them.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I would look at BFG KO's and Goodyear Dura Tracs. I wasn't a fan of Nitto TG's in snow. BFG's are solid in snow and I hear GY Dura Tracs are, too.

BTW, out of those cities, I think you'll like Salt Lake the best. :D

Petrolburner

Explorer
The front of my truck is already 2 inches lower than the rear, maybe my rear springs have never done any real work (pretty much the case from what the PO told me)

I am thinking I will put the Bilsteins in at max lift, beat the pinchweld if necessary and install the Treadwright MTG with kedge grip in a 285 75 16. They are basically a good year MTR but with crushed glass and walnut shells in the rubber, creates tiny pits when they wear for extra siping. I had a set of Green Diamond snow tires when I lived in the UP and they were the same but with carbide granules in the rubber, worked amazing.

If I decide to throw in an add a leaf for the rear later I'm ok with that, but the main question is will it rub at full stuff if I don't?

My brother is looking to move to Denver, so SLC would be closer to him, and I'd like to give that a try. How's the wheeling there? Lots of public access trails nearby?

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
You can (if you have reasonable access to a quality spring compressor), set them Bilsteins at 2", do the pinchweld mod, and see if it rubs....I think it will, though. (Devinsixtyseven may know for sure) Maybe not on the road, but quite likely if you get flexed at all. If you pick up a wheel with less backspacing (mine are 3 3/4") it will help.

If it rubs, you'll have to press the spring enough to move the C clip up to the next notch. Easy if you have a friend at a Midas shop. If you're doing this yourself, in the driveway, set it at 2.5" and do an AAL for the rear, and live with the slightly steeper ramp angle.

Good luck!

BTW, I'm certain the 285 can live in the rear wheelwell without a lift.....

Petrolburner

Explorer
I guess it didn't take me too long to decide, ordered the Bilstein 5100s and just ordered a set of Treadwright MTGs with kedge grip on GoodYear MT/R casings. With shipping came out to $147 per tire. Big thanks to CA-RJ for pointing me in treadwrights direction. I surely would have spent more money on a set of new tires otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles