OME Suspension Service Life

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I've never actually owned a lifted vehicle long enough to replace worn out components, so forgive my newbie question.

How many miles should my OME shocks last? I'm currently at 75k miles.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
While a cut & dry number would be convenient, it will have far more to do with the type of life and maintenance the parts have seen. Shocks can easily hit the 100k mark. I just swapped a set of shocks on my old Tacoma that were ~100k old with very, very hard miles between the owners. I've got local customers that have 10+ year old OME suspensions on daily drivers (Jason Day for you local guys), can't beat that.

Just to give you an answer, at 100k I would start planning to replace.

AlexJet

Explorer
While a cut & dry number would be convenient, it will have far more to do with the type of life and maintenance the parts have seen. Shocks can easily hit the 100k mark. I just swapped a set of shocks on my old Tacoma that were ~100k old with very, very hard miles between the owners. I've got local customers that have 10+ year old OME suspensions on daily drivers (Jason Day for you local guys), can't beat that.

Just to give you an answer, at 100k I would start planning to replace.

I'd agree with you 5 years of 20k a month, so at 100'000km (65'000mi) I'd replace them. This does not means you have too, you may have another 50k on them, but I'd do as a maintenance service.
In my personal case I come up with some mods which envolves parts replacement way before they are out of their service life, so I'm not worrying about running out of the lifespan of parts...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles