Popup

Prybry

Adventurer
I've got one like it...

I've got one like it... It's a Bethany Pickupper made in the mid 70's
I had to rebuild some of mine due to dry rot and other mods I wanted.
Works great now...
Big advantage is nice open floor plan with a FULL height door!
When the sides are dropped you have room to sleep 4 (2 most comfortable)
I put in a new power panel/supply and pressure water system... also pulled the ice box for a 12v cooler or porti-potty and put in a 110v microwave for when I have shore power.
The canvas on these things wear like iron... vinyl coated heavy weight canvas. There is even a place in WI still making the tops for them yet.
Mine also has a two burner stove and forced air furnace. The thing was way ahead of it's time.
Here are a few pictures...
It even had the same "nice" plaid mattresses... swapped mine for futons:ylsmoke:

Pick it up... very rare and great platform to start with.
Pryrby

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP1337.JPG
    Copy of IMGP1337.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 262
  • Copy of IMGP1341.JPG
    Copy of IMGP1341.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 201

Prybry

Adventurer
Here is the original sales piece for it

It wasn't made by "monks"!
The Bethany College wanted to build a product which would teach a wide range of trades to their students... they built what many consider the "Cadillac" of pop up campers in the 60's and 70's.
The Pickupper was one of their last products developed before they sold the business to what is now Northwest campers...

I know... more than you wanted to know I'm sure.

Prybry

Attachments

• pickupper1.jpg
    pickupper1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 162
  • pickupper2.jpg
    pickupper2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 260

longjohn

Observer
It wasn't made by "monks"!
The Bethany College wanted to build a product which would teach a wide range of trades to their students... they built what many consider the "Cadillac" of pop up campers in the 60's and 70's.
The Pickupper was one of their last products developed before they sold the business to what is now Northwest campers...

I know... more than you wanted to know I'm sure.

Prybry

Prybar thanks for sharing i would love to have that one with the (not sure 74-76 ford) i am just stuck in the past:drool:

Prybry

Adventurer
ah yes the belt...

I showed this ad to my wife after I bought the camper... she asked if I was going to start wearing a white belt too!
Pretty hip... keep in mind that was shot in MN too!

As you can probably tell, I've done a lot of research on these campers...
My wife would say bordering on obsessed.
I just think they are totally cool...
The pop out sides always attracts attention... but the full height door makes everyone wonder why this didn't catch on.

I can count on one hand the number I've ever seen for sale or otherwise.

eugene

Explorer
I was going to suggets the same thing, was thnking I saw a popup truck camper that folded out the sides.
Putting a camper trailer on top would for one thing have to sit up slightly higher than the bed rails to be high enough for the front bed to slide out over the truck cab. Then you have a high floor and really high when popped up, lots of sway.

Buckshot62

Observer
Met a nice guy from Michigan with one of these on a trailer Memorial day weekend in Deadwood S.D. He took the time to show it to me and ask questions about my FWC Fleet.

Buckshot62

Observer
Didn't want to wake my wife and 6 y. o. daughter to get the camera.He and I were the only ones up at 6 a. m. in the campground.He said he bought it and redid the interior to his liking.I know it had a TV and a microwave in it,

Prybry

Adventurer
Not suprised to see them anywhere in the US...

I'm not suprised to see one in MO,
From what I've been able to understand, Bethany had quite a large national sales network. I've seen ads from PA, WA, and FL...

Looks to be in fair shape... maybe missing the bed cushions, but not a big loss:) They were undoubtedly covered with one of their wonderful flower prints or maybe the dreaded plaid :Wow1:

I pulled mine out and found a nice set of futons to use instead... much more comfortable.

Prybry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne