The Arizona Strip, May 9-15 2009

DNTL740

Adventurer
Very inspiring, Thank you for the wonderful report, you have planted a seed in my brain that am sure will start to germinate sometime soon.

So what was your offroad range? on how many gallons?

Cristian

xpdishn

Adventurer
Very inspiring, Thank you for the wonderful report, you have planted a seed in my brain that am sure will start to germinate sometime soon.

So what was your offroad range? on how many gallons?

Cristian

Thank you for the props.

At 411 miles I added fuel. My fuel light was on, but what I know today, I had at least another 20-30 miles of fuel left. I averaged 11mpg, all off pavement, lots of 4W and quite a few miles of LowRange. I was quite happy with what I got. I feel I can go just about anyplace and get out without fuel trouble. It's a piece of mind not having gas on the roof.

Saline

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this! I have been curious about this area. Great photos too, I could almost smell them.

cnskate

Adventurer
Thanks for the write up. I was just considering a similar trip for this summer and you have strengthened my resolve. I might attempt a little less with fuel consumption in mind, unless I take the trailer.

I fly into Vegas all the time... and see these tracks down there, just waiting to be explored.

...if only it was not at the EXACT opposite end of the state from me!!! No matter!!

E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T report.... had me (almost) literally chomping at the bit to head out there!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Great report xpdishn. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us common interest folks. It looks like you really had a great time in those 6 days. A lot to see out there!

Two buddies and I made a similar trip in July 2009. We never did find SB Point though, but did find 100 Mile Canyon by accident. We back tracked to what we believed was the SB Point trail head on the way back from 100 Mile Canyon and followed it for a mile or so but were running low on fuel so we headed back out to Fredonia then up to Utah for a few more days. SB trail was very overgrown with trees and the trail wasn't clearly marked. A few times we were worried we were trailblazing. Being we just made friends with Ranger Todd at the School house near Mt. Trumbull (and he had our phone numbers, home addresses, email addy's, etc. Todd covers this entire area) we didn't want to get in trouble for not treading lightly! The big Super Swamper tires I am running leave a very obvious foot prints everwhere we went.

Over 1,400 pictures of our trip here…
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11889582@N08/sets/72157620771534282/

SPOT Adventure page (not sure what happened to all of our waypoint pictures though??) I think SPOT is suffering growing pains as their stuff seems to be good but not great…just yet. SPOTty describes their "Adventure" page services best at the moment…
http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=172579

Last edited:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
On my list

Very, very nice. I sent the link of this trip to my group of Desert Rats and asked them about taking it next year.

I've always wondered about this area as I drove through the Virgin River gorge.

Thanks for the time you took to document and share it with us.

Fred
Explorer 1

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I just now found this thread!

Thank You....xpdishn.....!

I have to say....this is now one of my All Time Favorite ExPo Trip Reports!

Awesome job!....:costumed-smiley-007

Keep Going!.....:victory:

xpdishn

Adventurer
For all those that are interested in gpx files and more details, if all goes well this will eventually be posted in the "Routes" area of the ExPo.com site. Right now I do believe the ExPo people are a little bit busy with the EXPO coming up.

Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier