PC and Mount Setups Pics

Michael

Adventurer
For my 2006 Tacoma, I also decided to go with a tablet computer. No problems so far with durability, but I have everything backed up so a HD failure is not the end of the world. Having a computer screen in my view line wasn't desired and I was concerned about screen survivability when bouncing along washboard roads. I use a touch pen to access program commands or I can raise/swivel the screen for access to the keyboard. I chose a RAM mount because it seemed to offer the most stable platform without blocking the passenger footwell. For computer power, I installed a 12VDC to 17VDC boost converter in the dash void to eliminate the need for an DC/AC inverter. The computer platform will swivel to the centerline (shown) when I have a passenger but can be swung out over the passenger seat (preferred position) if I'm solo. I've run this setup now for over a year with no problems whatsoever. I run a wide variety of software, but prefer OziExplorer. For GPS input, I mounted a Globalsat BU-353 in the overhead above the headliner and tucked up near the sheet metal of the roof. The BU-353 has a magnet strong enough to hold it there (see photo). The cable runs down the passgenger A-pillar into the glove box. It uncoils from there to hook up with the computer. GPS reception is very good in that location and completely usable, but I later decided to drill a hole in the roof and mount an external MR-350 (I mounted my 2m antenna through the roof and once you have one hole ... :) )

I'm happy with this setup and don't have any upgrades in mind (yet).

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0687a.jpg
    IMG_0687a.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Fish

Adventurer
I got the idea to bend up some tube to follow the dash contour and use handlebar/u-bolt RAM mounts. They are extremely sturdy and keep everything out of the way. The problem with floor mounts were they just got in the way of everything. Having a bar across the width of the dash lets you mount things in any orientation you want.

I like that a lot, but it wouldn't work so well with an air bag...

targa88

Explorer
I have fooled around with a lot of mounts over the years and the best thing I've done is to switch to a tablet PC. Keyboards are pretty useless with mapping software and just waste space. There are plenty of cheap touchscreen tablets, even ruggedized, on Ebay that do the job. Mine (Itronix duotouch) even has a custom fit RAM mount for it.

I got the idea to bend up some tube to follow the dash contour and use handlebar/u-bolt RAM mounts. They are extremely sturdy and keep everything out of the way. The problem with floor mounts were they just got in the way of everything. Having a bar across the width of the dash lets you mount things in any orientation you want.

IMG_2443.JPG

More details please....cost of set up/ apps?

DjDrewDigital

Observer
I wired the video out from my Droid to a 7" LCD fro GPS. It's simple and powerful. The big screen is awesome.

74071_451403929101_698089101_5525587_1232021_n.jpg

On my phone I have 4 GPS programs to choose from (and they're all free):

Google Maps Navigation - Simply amazing but requires data connection: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY"]YouTube - Google Maps Navigation (Beta)[/ame]
Trek Buddy - Offline Topo and Satellite imagery from various sources. Uses Oziexplorer map format.
OruxMaps - Offline and Online maps
AndNav - Offline turn by turn directions with Open Street Map data.

Oziexplorer CE for Android is in development and will be available at the end of the year.

I used to have a fanless carputer built into my Jeep with startup/shutdown controller. It was great to have my entire music collection at my fingertips but in the end it was too complicated. Check out the write-up here: http://stu-offroad.com/gps/jeeputer/jeeputer-1.htm

jeeputer-02.jpg

Last edited:

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have fooled around with a lot of mounts over the years and the best thing I've done is to switch to a tablet PC.

x2 - I came to the same conclusion. Tablets, or a netbook that can convert to tablet form, work really well.

Craig

off-roader

Expedition Leader
WIN XP NETBOOK INSTALLED IN MY 96 MONTERO
2309803150104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

It's an original Acer One that comes w/ an 8GB SSD drive and an 8GB SD card (Class 6). I upgraded the card to a 16GB version and added a 2nd 16GB SD card to the 2nd SD card slot. OS runs on the 8GB SSD while the navigation apps are installed onto the SD cards. This way I don't wear out the SD cards with too many read/write cycles since they're really not designed to perform as many write's as a HDD..

Power for the setup comes from a simple 12vDC to 110v 450W AC converter that sits perfectly under the front passenger seat. Works fine even though it's not a 'true sine wave' supply.

THE MOUNT:
2449143270104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

I also installed it the same way in my 89 Montero but don't have access right now to any pictures of the install.

In both cases, its velcro'd (using two 7" pieces of 2" wide velcro strips) to a piece of 1/16" thick aluminum plate bolted to the dash. The mounting plate fits perfectly between the stock gauge pod and the dash although I did have to buy longer metric screws for it.

For software I've been running both NatGeo Topo CA (hi res topo maps) and MS Streets & Trips. If I didn't have Nat Geo I'd probably have Craig's Overland Navigator.

I do agree with Craig that a tablet is the way to go and I do have a WiFi iPad which Ram offers a car mount for, however... I still haven't jail broken it so I can use it with a blue tooth gps, nor have I been able to decide which gps topo & street navigation software to use with it. Unfortunately Overland Navigator is currently not available for the iPad nor is it something Craig's working on. :drool:

esh

Explorer
More details please....cost of set up/ apps?

That is an Itronix Duotouch tablet with windows xp mobile on it. Natl Geo TOPO! State Series maps (1:24k) that I had long before Overland Nav came out. Connects to a Garmin 60csx.

The tablet is touchscreen so you can use the pen or your finger to move around map screens.

Sch40 pipe was about $40.. I have a 2nd piece I am going to bend up and follow the dash more closely (harbor freight bender special), but if you take the time you can do it with a single piece. It attaches via some welded plate on bolts underneath. I use old rubber bushings to wedge against the dash lip to keep things from shaking. I had the pipe wrapped in foam insulation but need to rewrap it.

Tablet was about $400, software is $100/state. Misc RAM mounts about $50, but I have a bunch more for the phone and HH radio plus different length arms etc.

SAR Jeepster

Observer
Do you have any other pictures of this setup? Sounds interesting but I'm having a tough time visualizing it.

PS your dash looks like an aircraft cockpit :sombrero:

Sorry for the late response. I used 1 1/4" tubing and polyurethane shackle bushings from an early Jeep CJ to make the arms. I welded a short piece of 1 1/2" tubing to the side of my center console which is made of 10 gage steel. I drilled 2 holes and welded 2 nuts to allow the vertical arm to be tightened or removed. I used 2 horizontal arms to allow enough movement so the laptop can easily be adjusted for the driver or passenger. I made the table from a piece of 16 gage an 1/2" square tubing frame work. The top of the table I have changed several times to fit different laptops. I used pieces of a mouse pad cut and glued I place to protect the laptop. I use some small vinyl coated cable with a spring and a draw catch to hold down the front. For the back I made side in to a bracket so once it is in and the front latched the laptop can't come out. I added a brace for the power cord after breaking the outlet on the laptop and a bar behind the screen to hold it up when hitting bumps. I can adjust the rate of movement by how tight the bolts and nuts are.

I had a laptop mounted and running in the jeep during a high speed rollover in the Black Rock Desert. The laptop survived great much better than me, I was taken by life flight to the nearest Hospital about 100 miles away. When I made it home I turned the laptop on and it showed the location of the accident.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

targa88

Explorer
Jeniko laptop mount (best $50 spent) for my netbook.
Laptopmount.jpg

BU353 GPS puck with GPS Fransongate
Garmin Mapsource/Nroute

Set up works fine. But would prefer a touchscreen over the net book.
Ipad too pricey for this application - IMHO...

This is a great thread, I am trying to decide if I want a smaller net book, or a tablet PC. I currently do not have a laptop just use my desk top at home, so a net book might be the way to go. Seems a tablet might get annoying to use around the house.

For net books what you all recommend as the minimum requirements?

Thanks

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Lenovo and others make Netbooks that are convertible to a tablet form (convertible netbooks). In the truck I much prefer the tablets, but you are right in that they have limited functionality outside of the truck.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior