Cooper Discoverer STT in a 255/85-16?

Would you purchase Discoverer STT 255/85-16?

• Yes; they'd be perfect for me!

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • No; I love my (reply with brand and size)

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Yes; if they came in at a good price point

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Maybe; (explain)

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If the beloved Cooper Discoverer STT came in a 255/85-16, would you buy a set?
How likely?

I'm in the market for tires in that size and, as you all know, the options are limited. The Toyo Open Country MTs are on "galactic back-order", leaving BFG KM2s, the Cooper ST, Maxxis, Trxus, and a few Cooper offspring.

The Toyos appealed to me the most but I can't get them. My back-up plan includes the STT in a 285/75-16 and I emailed Cooper to see how much they weigh; I also queried the possibility of a future 255/85.

Their response:

Pam from Cooper Tire said:
The Cooper Discoverer STT size LT285/75R16 weighs approx. 56 lbs. Will
we ever offer size LT255/85R16? If the market demands the size Cooper
will build it, currently the market doesn't demand it. Feel free to
check back with us. The market is always changing.

Pam
Consumer Quality Systems
Cooper Tire & Rubber Co.
800-854-6288 M-F 8-5 est.

Please answer the poll and contact as many people as you can that might be interested. I'm going to reply to Pam and ask her to monitor this thread. I personally feel this would be the perfect tire for people like us; an affordable overlanding tire.

CooperDiscovererSTT.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What is that in non metric??? I'm running 35x12.5x15 And Love them.

About 33x10" --- on long trips, it's light, narrow, but still tough and aggressive. Better fuel economy when it counts (far from fuel...) ---- tough enough for rocks, digs down in mud, not so big that you need a hoist to change a tire...

Lots of benefits to this size tire for expedition travel.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Only 3 votes so far? Dang.

I just ordered BFG KM2s in the 255/85-16 from Disount Tire down the street; 5 for $930. Not too shabby.

But I'd rather they were STTs..... :smiley_drive:

JackW

Explorer
I run 235/85R16's on my Defender - I'm running the BFG Mud T/A Km2's now but had Cooper STT's previously. I liked the Coopers except I didn't see the tread wear I expected out of them - somewhere in the mid 20K range. I've been spoiled by BFG where I get mid 30K to 40K out of them for around the same price as the Coopers. Your mileage may vary...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I would love to see (and would buy) another set of 255/85 treads. Though being a realist I would be very suprised if we can generate enough interest to even become a blip on the Cooper radar. I think they would have to have more call for their 255/85 S/T and more sales of 255/85 industry wide for Cooper to make a 255/85 STT. But I didn't think Toyo would ever make their Open County MT in a 255/85R16 and thankfully they proved me wrong.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I would love to see (and would buy) another set of 255/85 treads. Though being a realist I would be very suprised if we can generate enough interest to even become a blip on the Cooper radar. I think they would have to have more call for their 255/85 S/T and more sales of 255/85 industry wide for Cooper to make a 255/85 STT. But I didn't think Toyo would ever make their Open County MT in a 255/85R16 and thankfully they proved me wrong.
I think it was a strategic error to make the ST in that size ---- I mean, it's nice to have an AT lots of times but the STT is more useful when you'll be encountering a wider variety of surfaces.
I posted the poll on MUD also and they seem to be ignoring it pretty well....
Maybe I was wrong; maybe there are enough already.

smittycrusher

Adventurer
Bill,

I will side with Jack on this one. I have seen his Cooper's after the "mid twenties" mileage and that scared me away from them. I went with the Maxxis bighorns that you saw on my rig a few months ago. I have about 10k miles on the big horns (315/75/16) and measure them to 15/32nds (I think 19/32nds is new). Obvioulsy the Bighorns wear like an M/T as well. I am not sure what the perfect tire is. I have thought long and hard about the 255/85/16 for the cruiser but decided they looked too skinny for my tank. The Maxxis have the price advantage and also seem to be a darn good tire. Mine balanced with veyr little weight.

Hope this helps,

Smitty

Scott Brady

Founder
Chris had success with these tires, though they did have a shorter than average service life. Not necessarily a bad thing, as the rubber is likely softer and will provide better deformation and adhesion.

TNxterra

Observer
I would really love to have the 255's on my xterra. I think they would be the perfect size and I also think that there should be more options in this size... I mean come on goodyear, general, firestone, bfg... they dropped the ball on that one. I would love to see some at's, at/mt crossovers, and some more mt's in that size. I mean why get the super wide tires if you aren't making it a dedicated trail rig. If you are just "day wheeling" then an old jeep or a cab truck with 40's would be a great setup then...

jim65wagon

I think it was a strategic error to make the ST in that size ---- I mean, it's nice to have an AT lots of times but the STT is more useful when you'll be encountering a wider variety of surfaces.
I posted the poll on MUD also and they seem to be ignoring it pretty well....
Maybe I was wrong; maybe there are enough already.

Strategic error? I don't think so (not that I'm biased or anything) Since it's one of two AT's in THE size. Not to mention the ST was out quite a while before this version of the STT came out.....the strategic error is other tires NOT being available in 255/85. The ST is aggressive enough to be highly useful in an extremely wide variety of surfaces....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have to agree. I think the ST is a great and versitile tread. As long as the 255/85R16 is still made there is a good chance Cooper will make at least one. I would guess that Cooper actually sells many more of these tires/casings in 255/85 in the Dean SXT MT pattern through Les Schwab Tires than they do of the regular Cooper ST version.

Strategic error? I don't think so (not that I'm biased or anything) Since it's one of two AT's in THE size. Not to mention the ST was out quite a while before this version of the STT came out.....the strategic error is other tires NOT being available in 255/85. The ST is aggressive enough to be highly useful in an extremely wide variety of surfaces....

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
There aren't any Les Schwabs around here...

And Georgia mud laughs at ATs. Hopefully the BFGs will work; they went on last night.
They're so much lighter than my old tires. It's extremely noticeable; fuel economy started to climb already. Easier to steer. Less bump steer.
But they do look odd on a Jeep.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94