Will I hate a tandem axle?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I found a deal on a small 5x10 tamdem axle trailer. I need one to hual dirt bikes and camp gear. I may possibly use it to fetch a broken dirt bike out of the ruff. Will I hate the tandem or should I continie my search?

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Tandem axles on a 5x10? That sounds awfully small. The smallest I think I've seen tandems on before is a 6x12, other than equipment trailers (generators, water, etc). That said, as long as the trailer is well built, it should handle mild off roading, and conceivably give a little better break-over and departure angles. But the tire scrub and weight will probably make it pretty difficult offroad.

On road, it will probably handle just as well or better than a single axle. Regardless of load, I will often pull my tandem axle 7000lb 6x12 instead of my 2000lb 4x8 trailer just because it rides better and has brakes.

-

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, it'll be practically impossible to move that thing around by hand, and definitely harder for the truck to turn it in a tight turn on a trail. Is it un-usable? I dunno, never tried.

Ireland

Adventurer
It will be fine, such a small box is not going to affect your turning ability having dual axles... I am considering lifting and extending (to store a quad up front) a tent trailer right now and fully intend to go with dual axles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online