78 GMC Pathfinder 4x4 build

Clay

Adventurer
Thanks Brad for the great information. I am sure you could use the rear bumper if you made brackets and possibly the front one as the shape is the about same but as I said you will have to fab up some mounts. I am not talking about using the Stock Van or Truck bumpers but some kind of after-market type. Just finding something that will fit these old GM vans is tough these days so something close (and possibly used) may still be cheaper than buying a new one or even building on from scratch. I am going to build two for a friend who just bought an 1985 Pathfinder GMC and we are thinking of doing it like Spencyg did on his 4x4 Ford Camper van (which is a very cool van and a great thread by the way it has tons of great ideas and pictures) by using the stock bumper ends and custom building the center sections to have tow hooks, protect the grill, winch mounts and other provisions for off road camping. I myself bought a whole Pathfinder Van just for the bumper and a 10k winch and now I have a bunch of spare parts as well.

As a thought for those who might like to build a bumper but either don't have a welder or are not sure of their welding skills. You could always cut and shape the parts your self and then have it welded at a welding shop.

Do you have a picture of the bumper?

Gvan

Observer
I only have a few pictures of the bumper before I removed it. As I am still working on my project I have yet to reinstall it. I liked this bumper when I fist saw it for my 1980 Nomad /Pathfinder Van project. While not as cool as the newer style bumpers it is very well made and goes good with the shape of the van.Plus since this Gray van is a 1979 and my Nomad is a 1980 and I am looking for a somewhat Vintage look for it this one is great.

Attachments

• van0003.jpg
    van0003.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 100

Clay

Adventurer
I only have a few pictures of the bumper before I removed it. As I am still working on my project I have yet to reinstall it. I liked this bumper when I fist saw it for my 1980 Nomad /Pathfinder Van project. While not as cool as the newer style bumpers it is very well made and goes good with the shape of the van.Plus since this Gray van is a 1979 and my Nomad is a 1980 and I am looking for a somewhat Vintage look for it this one is great.

Thanks for that! Every idea I can get helps!

Clay

Adventurer
Over the last several days I’ve been busy working on the van, getting ready for the summer camping season. So far, I’ve wired up dual batteries, an air compressor and a fridge. Things are coming along very nicely!

relay-300x168.jpg

battery-300x168.jpg

The wiring kit is from Warn Industries, after getting the box open I found out that it is actually for atv’s! The good thing is, that the only part that wouldn’t work is the battery box, so I replaced that for $15 at the local Napa auto parts and now I’m good to go. It only took about 2 hours to wire up, and the system works perfectly. When the ignition is on both batteries are in series, being charged by the alternator (a 95 amp factory unit) unless the main battery drops down below 12 volts, then the relay shuts off the auxiliary battery. When the ignition is turned off, the two batteries are separated so that I can run the fridge or inverter without worrying about being able to start the van up later.

compressor-300x168.jpg

Finding a 12 volt air compressor worth anything for under $500 is pretty hard. After a bit of research on Pirate 4x4 I found a compressor made by Puma that was 12 volt. Puma is a pretty big name brand in compressors, so I was glad to see that they made a 12 volt version. The cost was around $300, and it came with a 1 gallon tank as well. I was originally going to separate it and hard mount the compressor in the engine bay, as well as mount the air tank under the body. After a bit of thought I decided to keep things together. What I did instead was wire up a cord for it, then make up a connector so that I can disconnect it and use it in other vehicles. I found some solid connectors that look like they should hold up good. I’ll do a full function test on the compressor and write a review here in a few days.

I’ve been drooling over other people’s 12 volt fridges long enough. After some solid research I decided to buy an Edgestar 63 quart model. At $400, the price was right and hopefully it will hold up. It’s well built, and seems to look like it will be ok. I’ve got it wired up the same way as the compressor, a cord that goes to the cool connectors I’ve got. I’ll write a review on this after I get a chance to use it a bit.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Over the last several days I’ve been busy working on the van, getting ready for the summer camping season. So far, I’ve wired up dual batteries, an air compressor and a fridge. Things are coming along very nicely!

relay-300x168.jpg

battery-300x168.jpg

The wiring kit is from Warn Industries, after getting the box open I found out that it is actually for atv’s! The good thing is, that the only part that wouldn’t work is the battery box, so I replaced that for $15 at the local Napa auto parts and now I’m good to go. It only took about 2 hours to wire up, and the system works perfectly. When the ignition is on both batteries are in series, being charged by the alternator (a 95 amp factory unit) unless the main battery drops down below 12 volts, then the relay shuts off the auxiliary battery. When the ignition is turned off, the two batteries are separated so that I can run the fridge or inverter without worrying about being able to start the van up later.

compressor-300x168.jpg

Finding a 12 volt air compressor worth anything for under $500 is pretty hard. After a bit of research on Pirate 4x4 I found a compressor made by Puma that was 12 volt. Puma is a pretty big name brand in compressors, so I was glad to see that they made a 12 volt version. The cost was around $300, and it came with a 1 gallon tank as well. I was originally going to separate it and hard mount the compressor in the engine bay, as well as mount the air tank under the body. After a bit of thought I decided to keep things together. What I did instead was wire up a cord for it, then make up a connector so that I can disconnect it and use it in other vehicles. I found some solid connectors that look like they should hold up good. I’ll do a full function test on the compressor and write a review here in a few days.

I’ve been drooling over other people’s 12 volt fridges long enough. After some solid research I decided to buy an Edgestar 63 quart model. At $400, the price was right and hopefully it will hold up. It’s well built, and seems to look like it will be ok. I’ve got it wired up the same way as the compressor, a cord that goes to the cool connectors I’ve got. I’ll write a review on this after I get a chance to use it a bit.

I've had an edgestar for 3 yrs now. it works great. when we use it in the summer its on for 3 wks straight. only complaint is where the plug goes into the fridge. the plastic bracket that hold the female plug inside the fridge is a little weak

Clay

Adventurer
I'm glad to hear that it holds up. Is there any way around the plug connection, or should I just be super careful with it?

Clay

Adventurer
Updated Electronics goodies

radios-168x300.jpg

I’ve got my center console worked out for the time being. In the picture above I have from top to bottom:
Pioneer CD player
Radio Shack cheap CB radio
Coleman 800 watt RMS 110 power inverter
Yeasu ft-2800m 2 meter ham radio
First aid kit

The hole in the top above the CD player is reserved for switches in the future. I hope to wire up some lighting and other goodies with the ARB style rocker switches.

Over the years I’ve realized that if you travel on the freeway in the winter time a CB radio is a huge asset. To be able to communicate with truckers offers up valuable information, especially in storms or during accidents, many times in the past I have been able to find out what is going on up ahead. This can be important for finding a bypass to an accident, or even stopping at a small town to wait out a storm rather than sitting on a closed freeway.

The power inverter is more than adequate to run my laptop and our small portable DVD player at the same time. Often times I’ll need to do this when I am using a truck stops wi-fi, so the kids can keep busy watching a movie while I surf for directions. Other than this, I don’t really have anything else at this time to run that’s 110v. I’m sure that it will come in handy at some other point in time.

The 2 meter ham radio is a useful tool as well, because I can get weather, traffic and other types of information with it. It’s also my backup communications, since it has a pretty good range and calling for help with it when the cell phone doesn’t work may come in handy someday.

I found this first aid kit in Provo at Uncle Sam’s Army Surplus store. I like the contents, because it has a great bit of lots of things I use every day. I also like that it’s in a mini-pelican case type of thing, water proof and solid. The contents may change with time, but I’m sure the case will still be around for years.

sostahoe

75 Vandura

Cool stuff, I wonder how many of these are out there, I have a 75 Vandura that has been my partner in adventure for over 15 years. It have not used it much lately as it has a replacement (01 GMC). I have been contemplating letting it go as it has trans issues and a whole bunch of rust rot. I have busted two windshields now and many of the spot welds have popped. Has anyone here done any reinforcement work on the chassis ? I will include a link too a picture album, as you might get a kick out the rig. I modded the front leafs during a re-arch, so I could fit the 37 inch tires, (along with some metal removal and Big hammer work). It''s not pretty, but it sure works to get me into some out of the way places !!! Wow; a bit of work to gather up some pics for the album (Enjoy). I wish mine was in better condition. I would love too to see it in as good a shape as the others I see here.
Scott.

https://picasaweb.google.com/sostahoe/TheBFV?feat=directlink

Attachments

• DSC00660.JPG
    DSC00660.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 107

Clay

Adventurer
Nice van pics! Where's that at? I'm guessing that is the Truckee river?

I'm about an hour away from Tahoe. Always looking for new places to explore.

Clay

Adventurer
The van is still running good and keeping up well. Soon I hope to strip it down and do some modifications.

By chance, does anyone have thoughts on swapping a 700r4 into this thing? Since its got some different hardware than stock I'm not sure where to start on doing a tranny swap.

Clay

Adventurer
The little puma air compressor has been awesome. It won't run air tools, but it fills tires up and everything else I've needed it for with ease. I've had it for a few years now and I would buy another one if needed. They also make one with a larger tank, which would be nice.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Love the vans i have 1985 g20 . I hqve had it over year and have seen it 4 or 5 times. Yay! It been at my friends ,you is doing four link coil conversion , bumpers and some roof rack with bars to protect the tv top. Hopefully it wont be long. Im jonesing.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

barefoot boy

Observer
I believe you said you had the Turbo 350 transmission. Pathfinder used the factory 2WD transmission and adapted it to the Ford input NP 205 with a custom female 27 spline by male 31 spline spud shaft. They used a custom cast aluminum adapter housing to mate between the transmission and the transfer case. If you want to convert to a 700R4, the same spud shaft will work and so will the cast aluminum housing. The length of the 700R4 will be different, I believe, so you will most likely have to rework the mounting brackets for the transfer case and perhaps the driveshaft length(s). I have a 1988 Pathfinder that I converted from a Turbo 400 to a 700R4.

Clay

Adventurer
Thank you for that info. I'm very much in the beginning of the planning stages at this point. What year tranny did you use? What about computers and wiring?

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online