Hi-lift jack points?

HenryKrinkle

Observer
I'm seeing photos of Rovers and others with no rocker rails and stock bumpers with HiLifts mounted on the roofrack. Is there something I'm missing here? Shouldn't there be some reinforcement around the perimeter to put that jack under? How are they going to use the jack without tearing the crap out of their sheet metal?

Layonnn

Adventurer
I'm seeing photos of Rovers and others with no rocker rails and stock bumpers with HiLifts mounted on the roofrack. Is there something I'm missing here? Shouldn't there be some reinforcement around the perimeter to put that jack under? How are they going to use the jack without tearing the crap out of their sheet metal?

A Hi-Lift jack can be used to lift a corner of the vehicle by attaching a Hi-Lift accessory on to the wheel then lifting, it can also be used on normal steel bumpers using an accessory bracket from Hi-Lift that attached to the lifting jaw. Can also use the hi-lift on other vehicles when out on the trail. So far, the only times i have had to use mine was on the trail was on other vehicles.

However, i agree, the best way to take full advantage of using the hi-lift is to have sturdy steel bumpers and rock rails.

However, the poster above makes a valid point. A lot of people new to offroading by them and throw them on their roof as "bling" when they really have no use for one due to the state of their rig. When i see a newer style vehicle, with plastic bumpers and no rock rails with a hi-lift on the roof, i just laugh.

leman

Adventurer
i dont have a winch yet and have used it as one. i already had it before i got the the jeep though. and on my old pathfinder i had steel bumpers and sliders. its just one of those things i would rather have and not need than need and not have.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Winching application is one application. I bought my jack mostly as a winch, before I got my real winch. They could also use the jack with one of these:

liftmate.jpg
liftmate_l.jpg

Or this:

BL.jpg
BL_l.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: the HiLift can even be used on the "JEEPS" plastic bumpers, as long as you be sure and place the "foot" directly on the frame corner underneath the plastic

Not the best, but will work in a pinch/emergency, before mods !!

:costumed-smiley-007:costumed-smiley-007 JIMBO

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
As luck would have it, I stopped to help an elderly couple today with a Chev Colorado who had a wheel come right off. I guess they didn't tighten the lug nuts. Anyway, they couldn't get the drum up off the ground with the factory jack. I was able to get it up by jacking under their drawbar in the reciever. Piece of cake.

alixolson

While reading the Christmas Catalogue from TJM I noticed that they now have "T" sections cut into the front of the bullbar for high lift jack points.So out to the w/shop,fired up the drill and jigsaw and 1/2hr later Ive got two rock solid high lift jack points on the bullbar and am planning to mount some "T" sections on the rear tow bar as well.
So any one looking for good ,solid jacking points these seem the go.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
When i see a newer style vehicle, with plastic bumpers and no rock rails with a hi-lift on the roof, i just laugh.

Oh yeah... when I see a newer style vehicle with 'heavy' steel bumpers, rock rails and a winch, I just laugh.

OK not really, I don't laugh ...but most everyone knows that crap on newer vehicles is mostly for bling. And that's a good thing, spend some money, the economy needs it.

I keep my high lift mounted out of sight, on the inside of my 100% stock Rubicon Unlimited. And don't plan to do anything else to the Jeep. Can't see the point, the thing is amazing in stock configuration when compared to older modified jeeps.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
While reading the Christmas Catalogue from TJM I noticed that they now have "T" sections cut into the front of the bullbar .....

It works great! My front bumper on the XJ is angled, with no where for a Hi-Lift to grab.

I made a "T" pattern out of cardboard that would fit over the 'foot' of the Jack, traced it onto the bumper, then used the Plasma-arc to burn a "T" into each side of my bumper.

stevo

Observer
We should all remember that when the dealer sells a new "4x4 All Terrain-Go Anywhere" vehicle, it is neither his responsibility, nor is it within his capability, to provide the buyer with with even a miniscule amount of "common sense". Most of us have seen the results of trail stupidity which often times end tragically. Unfortunately you can not give a neophite the "common sense" that is sometimes required to keep us alive and well in our chosen area of recreation. Many "newbies" get a new vehicle and immediately drive off into the unknown without even a thought of the dangers which abound out there. That's why it is important for the rest of us remain prepared so that we might be able to help those who need it; hopefully they will mature and learn with each new experience.
Cheers, Stevo

Brazos609

Observer
I have pulled over to help people with a flat before who had a scissor jack allt the way up wondering why the tire hadn't come up when all they had done was crush the plastic bumper cover or rocker pannel and not lifted the frame at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior