Devinci Bikes

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Does anyone here have experience with Devinci bikes? I'm looking for a solid touring bike and this guy caught my eye at the bike shop today. The bike felt good, rode nice during my brief jaunt around the block, and I really liked the made in Canada sticker.:) Any input would be appreciated.

820410161_deuar-L.jpg

762X39

Explorer
I would go with your gut feeling.If the components are of good quality (you recognize the hardware) the bike feels good when you ride it and you like it, I say get it. The last touring bike I purchased was a Cannondale ST500 and they had just come out.At the time the only other aluminum framed bikes were by Klein.I still have that touring bike (s/n 0000006) and although it is dated, it still works for me.:coffee:

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I used to work in a bike shop that sold Devinci bikes a few years ago. Although I've never ridden a Caribou, owners really loved them. Great bikes, great quality, they were not as comfortable as steel touring bikes, but they had less flex, a good thing when climbing out of the saddle fully loaded.

All in all, I'd go for it. :)

mitssan

Observer
I own a Devenci Frantic DH bike. My buddy rides a Hectic. I know nothing about road bike geometry and I don't konw how much of there manufacturing crosses over from road to mountian but...

I am very happy with my frame as far as strength and fitment. It is strong and given me little problems other than a few maintenence issues with the pivots. Non of this factors in to a touring bike.

As far as contsruction goes the welds seem decent, although uneven at times; that is just the character of a hand made frame. Everything is square and true. The only issue that my buddy and I have had are with the bearing surfaces. They did not face the headset or Bottom Bracket surfaces. This is a minor beef really, but it did somewhat bothered me. My roomate had a shop do it after the fact and believe it or not the cranks spun more freely.

I'd agree with the above comment, if it fits right and is spec'd well buy it. I know road is different then DH, but a good fitting bike is not always easy to find. After you've ridden it for a while and it's ready for it's first major service have a reputable bike ship pull out the headset and BB. They can face those nasty surfaces to add that final fit and finish that a bike of that calliper deserves. Who know's maybe they do it on their road bikes and it's just the DH stuff they skimp on. After all, generally the DH market isn't looking for that same level of fit and finish.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers

Maurie

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Can't comment on Devinci, but for touring, have you looked at the Fargo? Discs, FAT tires, braze-ons, etc. And steel for a better ride.

3636861767_d9ab9f866c.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. I'm still looking around for new wheels. The Fargo looks really nice,...now if only I can find one to see in person.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Check on the Salsa website to see if you have any dealers near you. Also, if you're looking to do any snow riding, check out the Surly Pugsley:

adventure-12408-006.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Check on the Salsa website to see if you have any dealers near you. Also, if you're looking to do any snow riding, check out the Surly Pugsley:
]
Salsa and Surly are distributed through Quality Bicycle Parts. I truly can't imagine there's a bike shop in the US that does not have a QBP account, so any shop can get these bikes. That's one of the major reasons they're so popular...and cheap.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Salsa and Surly are distributed through Quality Bicycle Parts. I truly can't imagine there's a bike shop in the US that does not have a QBP account, so any shop can get these bikes. That's one of the major reasons they're so popular...and cheap.

Does it apply to Canada as well? The OP is in Ontario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz