I just took my AT Horizon trailer out for a test run and the camp ground I went to provides power via a 120V-30Amp outlet -- 2 prongs in a v configuration w/a grounding prong below. So, I bought a 120V-30Amp adapter at an RV shop so that I could use a normal grounded 120V extension cord with it. The vendor "warned" me that I should watch out because I could "burn out" anything that I run with it.
My laptop and iPod charger seemed to work fine off of this connector, but the 10amp Guest Charge Pro Battery Charger feeding the AGM 31 battery in the trailer seemed to heat up too much and was acting "strangely" (alternating red/green lights). So, heeding the vendor's warning, I disconnected it. Tried the 120V 400watt inverter in my FJ Cruiser (which I believe only puts out about 3 amps) and the battery charger seemed to work fine. Also worked fine after I hooked it back up to regular AC power in my garage.
So, the question is: Will using the 120V-30amp power at a campground with a regular 120V adapter damage the battery charger (or anything else) and, if so, what do I need to do (or buy) in order to step down the power so that that doesn't happen?