Swing out cooler carrier

bruzer1123

Observer
That is pretty crafty. Never thought to mount anything there...something to consider for a future project I guess! :sombrero:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Very cool ideal. Any pics w/cooler?

I don't have any with a cooler, but you get the jist. Front end is on jakstands, hence the tilt. I built it to hold a coleman 54qt

Attachments

• 0531002159.jpg
    0531002159.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 22

bruzer1123

Observer
finished pics

Well,

I got a break in the weather and was able to prime and paint the carrier. It turned out okay. If I was able to remake it I think I would go with a brass bushings on the pivot since there is some play when it opens. When closed, it is solid! I might add a pin to keep the carrier in place when the tailgate is open but for now it is "done". Next project is mounting 20mm ammo cans in the back. On to the pics!:wings:

bruzer1123

Observer
IMG_4606.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

Please ignore the rusting/dented bed! :smiley_drive:

bruzer1123

Observer
Yup. I wanted to make it removable but try to keep it in double shear (?). Not sure if it actually is or not, but this was all I could think of. There is some slop, but I think that it is because the DOM and tubing aren't perfectly sized. Glad someone else likes it! I wasn't sure of it yesterday when I finished.

In the future I am thinking about wrapping the bumper around and cutting off that portion of truck bed anyway.

bruzer1123

Observer
To clarify, the slop is only there when I open the carrier. There is no slop when in the closed position. I think the 3/4" threaded rod keeps everything tight. I was bouncing up and down on it and it didn't move. Yet to take it for a test drive though!

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I think it's cool. I would've wanted it to be removable too. Otherwise, everytime you came out of Wal-Mart you'd find empty soda cans, McDonald's wrappers, etc!

bruzer1123

Observer
I figured my wife (since she normally drives the truck) would prefer to have it removable. I did size it so it fits our single jerry can, or most of the stuff I carry for cutting wood.

As far as a stop goes. I had welded on an additional nut (with the threads drilled out) that lined up with the upper nut and secured the carrier in the "open" position with a little pin. However, I had messed up the alignment somehow and it was too tight against the tailgate. I will probably add that in the future. For now, the carrier hits the welded nut on top and keeps it from hitting the body.

Thanks for the comments guys! :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz