HMMWV double beadlocks wheels on a Ford Superduty

Bella PSD

Explorer
I was thinking the same thing but the pressed only gets me 3.5" backspace max. I think I am going to need 4.5". I have 4.5" backspace with 16x10 rims now and its just about right, maybe I could get by with 3.5.

Who did the centers on your friends? Why was the ride so bad, out of round?

Louie

cocco78

Adventurer
I would never run a flat center, they bend to easily. The pressed centers are alot stronger but do limit you to the 3.5" backspaceing.

I love mine! But only run them on wheeling trips, I have a set of 37" Toyo Mt's on chrome H2 rims for daily driving and overland trips.

a1hfd3.jpg

Guinness44

Adventurer
If you are going to the H1 rim: the 8 bolts are designed for a lot less airpressure than the 12 bolts, or 24 bolts. So be carefull, esp. running fullsized trucks. Also the assembly torque specs must be followed perfectly, or the bolts let go. Needless to say, you do need to carry spare bolts and nuts, if one goes (check every time you fuel), the ones next to it also must be replaced, AFTER airing down to 0 psi. Its a great set up for fieldmounting, but follow the shopmanual by the letter, get the right tools and parts. Or go simple: GT Inc. aka Cepek rims (hummerproducts.com) makes a great wheel, that holds a bead very well at low pressures. (Bolt patterns and backspacing avail for a lot of different makes).

hojhauler

Observer
Bella,

I think I am going to need 4.5". I have 4.5" backspace with 16x10 rims now and its just about right, maybe I could get by with 3.5.

I am in this same boat with you on the backspacing but remember you will be getting 3.5" backspacing on a 9" wide rim so you will probably end up with the outside of the tire relatively close to where your 4.5" backspaced 10" rim is. BTW, like said before, on a truck as heavy as yours don't go with anything other than the 12 bolt which were made for radial tire pressures...unlike the 8 bolt version made really for bias ply tires only.

oltmann

I'm a big fan of the H1 rims, ran one set into the ground and bought a second and added rock rings to them for my jeep. I have thought about running them on the tow rig as well. Backspacing, tire availability and weight are all problems to be dealt with.

One option is to run spacers with the H1s. Either 'dually adapters' that are normally used to run wider tires on dually axles, or the factory adapters for single wheel front axles on dually trucks(but run all the way around in this case)

Or you could just run big enough tires to make up the stance. I think my jeep is about 82-83" outside to outside as it sits now.

wheelin042gw6.jpg

Fullwidth(69.5 wms) ford front 60, with 2" dually spacers on each side and the H1 rims with original backspacing. The tires are the 42" rocker, really like those too, btw.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I was thinking the same thing but the pressed only gets me 3.5" backspace max. I think I am going to need 4.5". I have 4.5" backspace with 16x10 rims now and its just about right, maybe I could get by with 3.5.

Who did the centers on your friends? Why was the ride so bad, out of round?

Louie
He and a friend of his made them. They were made from laser/water jet cut plate, machined where needed and set up on a truing stand to be trued, tacked, and welded. My friend is an ME and his friend has done more than a couple sets of these.
I suspect that the ride quality problem is the weight of the flat plate. This it the truck that they are on:

74with37s.jpg

Bella PSD

Explorer
Thanks so much for all the replies. Looks like my ride back from Moab is going to hit KS to late for a pick up on Saturday:(

So I have some more time to double check some things. I am running 16X10 rims with 4.5" backspace (-25 off set). The 16x10 are mounted with 35x12.5. The HMMWV rims will be 16.5x8.25, pressed center with 3.5" back space (about -30 off set) Right now with the 16x10 4.5 BS I have no contact with the springs but just a tiny bit with the back of the inner fender when fully flexed. Looks like the 8.25" HMMWV rim with 3.5 BS should put the rim about the same spot as the 16x10. Add the 35 to 37" tire and I am going to need more than 4" lift that I have now or trim the fenders. I am looking into cut out flares. I don't want it ANY taller lift wise. But there is no getting around the fact that the new backspace and tire size will cause more contact on the inner fender.

Anyone want to jump in here? It seems like this should work fine with Bushwacker cut out flares.

So to recap; thinking of running 16.5" HMMWV rim 3.5" backspace with Goodyear 37"x12.5 MT AND cut out flares.(with the existing 4" lift)

Bella PSD

Explorer
37_beadlock_cut_out.gif

I have looked the WWW over and I just don't think to many people have done what I am thinking of doing. So I photoshopped this GIF today. Its the 16.5" 12 bolt double beadlock HMMWV rims with 37" MT AND cut out flares with the 4" lift. The other image in the loop is the black rims with the polished lip that I want to replace. The old black rims are 16x10 with 35's, same 4" lift.

I think its pretty close to what it will look like.

Louie

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
these are what i want to put on my suburban

h1's with gussetted center section, diy4x
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266151

about 200 a pop without shipping, kert does mostly chevy stuff but i am sure he could do a 8x170mm bolt pattern for you

oh and i would stay away from the mil goodyear, noisier than a swamper in an annoying make your ears bleed way and poorly made.

parnelli jones dirt grips are e rated, 16.5, and an all terrain up to 38"s

Attachments

• hummerassembly.jpg
    hummerassembly.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 71

Bella PSD

Explorer
Yep, I would only get the 12 bolt wheels. I need to run pressure much higher than 30 psi (max for 8 bolt). I run 45 front and 32 rear unloaded. With the camper on road I run 45 rear. The 12 bolt are good to 50 psi.

I am getting close to doing this. Looking at Bushwacker cut out fender flares this week. Then make up my mind on the wheels...Thanks for all the help so far! Still want to see Ford Superduty pictures running this set up.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You could also look at some of the baja 'glass stuff.....they generally have pretty darn big openings and are flared to cover the tires. You could sell your front fenders then for a little extra money instead of cutting them. The bed does generally get heavily modified for bedsides, but cutting them out for the bushwackers is going to do the same.

Just an idea.

I would think you would be able to run no lift with 37s and decent body panels. If you already have the lift its not a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles