African Outback Rack install on 2005 4Runner

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Yesterday I had a late start on this project and with various delays it stretched out over a 12 hour period.

Rack-In-The-Box

Brand new African Outback Rack still in the pine crate. I'll get the half rail cut to size later and mount it up.

Off comes the stock roof rack to go into storage

I took the time to clay bar and wax the roof

We can all guess at how long it will be before I'll have that opportunity again!

Two giant 7/16" holes in the roof of my 4Runner for the Nutserts. Sigh..... two more to go.

I painted the edges of the holes with some touch-up paint to minimize the chances of rust. These Nutserts add additional strength for mounting the AO Rack's mounting channel. 4Runners only have 4 stock mounting points. Prados have 6.

Before I installed the 8mm Nutserts I put a light bead of RTV under the lip of each one to help seal that contact area. I also cut some 9mm vacuum hose to make little water barriers and RTV'ed those above all 12 holes where bolts go into the roof. The roof track for the AO Rack holds them in place.

As I put each of the 8mm bolts into the roof I put RTV on the threads and on the bottom face of the bolt head

Final assembly of the rack's feet

Nice Rack!

It took a while to get all of the mounting feet positioned and all 42 of the bolts & nuts tightened.

Next I set up a Thule fairing to minimize drag. Thanks to Tex-Gx at Toyota120.com for the idea..

Out on a quick test drive

Thank you to Slee Off Road providing such a great price and fast shipping on the AO rack and accessories.

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
teotwaki,

I am here as well. The rack looks great. I look forward to seeing the half rail installed.

TexGX

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Updates to the AO rack.

I did not like the crude home-made looking hinges on the sunroof hatch. I don't need hinges and I don't want them digging into things I lash down so they gotta' go.

You can spot them sticking up a mile away...

Gouging a couple of simple plates out of aluminum sheet.

Comparison of new to old

Installed, nice and clean profile

Can hardly be noticed now

I also made new mounts for the Fiamma Awning using 1" square aluminum tubing. I took advantage of the bolt channels on the bottom of the platform and left the top area uncluttered.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
That looks great. Do you mind if I ask how much and where? I'm assuming either they make one for a 100-series LC or the one that you have will fit.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
For those who install the AO on a 4th Gen 4Runner you'll need these, about $30 shipped from McMaster-Carr, for the adding in four bolts for the two center mount point of the rack's mounting rail.

* Nutsert tool from mcmaster.com part # 96349A815
* 4 nutserts from mcmaster.com part # 97467A693 (pack of 5)

You can also order addtional square nuts from McMaster-Carr. They don't have the sharp little ponts that the AO ones have.

There are two different sizes.

The slot around the perimeter will accept an M8 (8mm thread) square nut, part number 96887A322. The nut is 13mm square and comes in bags of 25 for $6-ish

The slots in the floor slats will accept an M6 square nut, part number 96887A319. The nut is 10mm square and comes in a box of 100 for $12-ish

About $30 bucks to my door.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The extra nuts are for where I fabbed some of my own mounts and I am using plain metric bolts to hold them down. Mostly used odd bits of aluminum angle and tube along with other things. Still need to be painted.

One of two shovel mounts using a Quickfist mounted in Al channel

One of two Hi Lift mounts on Al angle stock

FireGuy

Adventurer
I love my AO rack. Works great with a RTT. I will not be going back to a ground tent....EVER.

MojaveRd_NVTTORAApril2010-018.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Simple Fiamma Mounts

The AO rack has T-channels on some of the rack's bottom area that can be used for selected mounting applications. This approach will help to keep the top surface clear for other items.

I took some short lengths of 1" square aluminum tube and drilled 3 holes in them and mounted them like this

The foam in the ends was just to keep them from whistling in the wind.

I leave the tubes on there all the time and just throw the awning on there as needed as it is a quick and simple task.
4runnermar100462.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles