Macro Photography Picture Thread

Nikson

Explorer
I figured i would contribute a bit on my behalf...

05-24-2009%20Memorial%20Day%20Camp%20014.jpg

05-24-2009%20Memorial%20Day%20Camp%20031.jpg

05-24-2009%20Memorial%20Day%20Camp%20047.jpg

06-27-2009%2031st%20BDay%20Trip%20019.jpg

09-19-2009%20Lost%20Lake%20Drive%20082.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ditto. I've been trying to get something similar for years, but they never hold still long enough. :D

LOL, I've caught a couple...

What works for me is to compose the shot while they're on the flower using a small enough aperture that you can get some decent depth of field, then take the shot once they take off. If you're 'Lucky' (& I really mean that) you'll get a great shot.

To re-iterate, by 'Lucky' I mean it literally takes tens of attempts to get a good one of a bee in flight. It also really helps when shooting them if you're using a support (tripod/monopod).

HTH
:sombrero:

DSC_9812s.jpg

DSC_9823s.jpg

LilKJ

Adventurer
I just realized that I have a total of 2 macro shots on my computer... I never even think of shooting it.... strange...

My one fuzzy worm in Moab...
IMG_0241resize.jpg

Chazz Layne

Administrator
LOL, I've caught a couple...

What works for me is to compose the shot while they're on the flower using a small enough aperture that you can get some decent depth of field, then take the shot once they take off. If you're 'Lucky' (& I really mean that) you'll get a great shot.

To re-iterate, by 'Lucky' I mean it literally takes tens of attempts to get a good one of a bee in flight. It also really helps when shooting them if you're using a support (tripod/monopod).

HTH
:sombrero:

I'll have to get some practice in when the wind dies down. We've got a ton of bees/flowers right outside when it is calm.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'll have to get some practice in when the wind dies down. We've got a ton of bees/flowers right outside when it is calm.
Yeah the wind is a big factor. I was reading online where someone actually made a device to help hold the stem of a flower while shooting it.

Also, if you're not doing it already, deactivate your Auto Focus (AF) and Vibration Reduction System (VR, OS or IS) if applicable. You essentially have to 'catch' the flower or bee while it's in the focal plane. You rarely are able to get both in focus. If you do get both in focus, immediately go buy a lottery ticket <LOL>.

Usually with bee's I'll focus on a spot then fire a burst at high speed praying they move to that area when in flight. Mostly luck no matter how well you prepare though.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
The wife has been going crazy with the gardens this spring, and this morning we had overcast weather and some drizzling rain. So I thought I'd get out the Kenko Tubes and see what I could come up with

All of these were shot with a Canon 5D body, 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens and all three tubes stacked on. Some of them were so close, I had the flower in the lens hood of the lens to help hold the thing still.

It always amazes me how little of movement has to happen when you're this close to the subject to result in a blurry image. Really makes me respect the shots I see that are just stunning even more than I already do

891582726_ExTXu-L.jpg

African Daisy with rain drops on it

891584594_VtUiC-L.jpg

We dont know what kind of flower this is? Someone gave us the plant, but it sure is pretty

891587681_Rceps-L.jpg

We were over at a girlfriend of ours house who has a Magnolia tree in her back yard. The tree is covered with these seed pods right now and I was amazed at how frickin cool they look. I mean if I could spray this with a clear schlack, I'd hang it around a necklace! Mother Nature has some beautiful designs in her card book

891591114_nar5n-L.jpg

I never get bored with the Hibiscus in front of the motel!!

Ok, back to work, I just needed a break from cleaning rooms and the overcast skies were giving me some great lighting to work with

Wander

Expedition Leader
Nice rain drops on the yellow flower Pat.

The magnolia buds are cool looking but nothing beats there scent on a hot summer eve-you can get drunk on that fragrance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz