dumb tire question

mitssan

Observer
Hi All, I'm new here so I have to ask a dumb tire question to get things started. I tried searching for an answer to this but haven't had much luck.

I'm trying to decide on a final tire size for my '09 Frontier. It is pretty much stock other than bumpers and a 2" OME lift. I have not changed the upper control arms.

I want to run a taller tire, taking it up into the 33" or 34" range. Since I'm on a limited budget I've been looking at the 16" variety, hoping to fit them on my stock rims. This gives me two basic choices in upgrade size, the 255/85/16 or the 285/75/16.

I honestly like the idea of the skinnier tire. Everyone in Alberta goes wider, so I like bieng different. That said, there isn't allot of variety in tire choice with the 255 and there is a negligible price difference. The convenience of availablitiy and choice has pretty much made up my mind on the 285.

What I'm trying to figure out is: Will the 285/75/16 rub on the upper controle arm? I'm not worried about the inner fenders, heat guns are easy to come by.

I've read a bunch fo threads over the past hour or two and allot of people talk aobut the 285 on their "stock trucks" but there seems to be vareying levels of stock and the fact that much of the time these tires were on non-stock wheels (no way of seeing the offset).

So far I've found lots of great information here, this is a great site. Sorry my first question was a tire one.

Maurie

'09 Frontier, OME lift

mcm4090

Explorer
Maurie, there is no need for you to get control arms. The reason people get control arms is to reduce the noise with spacer lift or to get more suspension travel with coilovers.

silentsamurai

Explorer
I run 285/75/16 on a spacer lift from PRG. Fits fine with minimal rubbing. So with an aftermarket bumper you wont have any trouble. Just expect to pay about $165-180 a tire.

mitssan

Observer
How about a pic of your Nissy with the lift? Curious how you like it as well.

I'm holding off on the pic's until I get the bumpers on it.

I'm a big fan of the OME lift. It went together easy and there was no messing around, everything I needed was included (I hate getting a "kit" then having to chase down parts).

I ordered the springs and the struts. I couldn't find out how long the struts were, but I figured they'd be longer to allow for the lift, and I figured the struts would be tuned for the springs. Side by side the struts were less than 1/4" longer. If I were to do it again I would have stuck with my Bilstiens until they started leaking then bought the OME struts.

The ride is the same as factory, which in my mind is a good thing. I was worried that the new leafs in the rear would rattle the truck to death, but the travel is actually quite progressive. I'm most impressed with how it carries a load (no, that isn't a dirty joke). With 500 pounds in the box the truck use to sag heavily. The new spring pack doesn't sag nearly as much as the factory springs but at the same time the ride is supple and not harsh.

The front is a little stiff, but that is my fault. I decided to run the heavy springs up front and since I don't have a bumper or winch on the truck yet the front of the truck feels a little stiff. It's nice for off ramps, but not the smooth offroad ride I'm looking for (the bumper will solve that ).

Cheers

Maurie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles