What is your setup?

mitssan

Observer
If you have a limited amount of time skip down to the end... I do have a questions... Otherwise here is the life storey of my '09 Frontier and wheel shopping.

I've re-visted my project list for the year; the winch is going on the backburner and I've decided new wheels are in order.

Factory replacement wheels are $900 cdn a piece. I'll feel like a sucker if I dent one and have to replace it. I've decided on Hankook MT 285/75/16 that will be mounted to steel "Unique 297" rims. I like steel, if I dent it at least it can be hammered straight on the trail (keeping a functional spare). I actually wanted to run 255's but I've decided on tire size that has more availability, you can get 285's from any manufacture.

The rims are 16x8 with a 12mm offset and a 5" backspace. According to my math (correct me if I'm wrong) this will move the centre of the tire out, componsating for the extra width and filling up the fenders better, but still shouldn't rub (on the outside or inside).

I've been researching the heck out of wheels but haven't had much luck on what does and doesn't fit so I'm hoping my poor math skills don't fail me. There are tons of guys who have done wheels on Clubfrontier but they never post the rim dimensions, they just post pictures (argh!). I've found allot of infomraiton there on stock sizes so that is what my math is based on. I have read that a minimum offset of 10mm is required, so at 12mm I'm cutting the offset a little close.

Allot of people run the American Outlaw wheels which have a 17mm offset. I don't think the extra 5mm will change the look or functionality of the wheel that much.

I will not be running TPMS sensors in these rims. If a rubber valve stem hits a rock it'll bend, worse case it'll pull out. Although not easy, a valve stem on a steel rim can be fixed on the side of the trail. What happens when a metal valve stem hits a rock? A snap, a his, and you are now out of wheels, only to get back to the dealership and find out its a $140 bill. Frankly, those sensors are just another reason for dumb lazy people to not maintain there vehicle. Not only will people say "I had oil in it 'casue the check engine light wasn't on" They will also say "I had the right air pressure, the tire light wasn't on". Add that to "I didn't know it was lake, the GPS told me to turn right". This is a truck that will be used off road, it will be aired down, and the light will be on anyway. My next project will be figuring out how to de-activate that stupid system.

So the point of this long explanation was to ask a questions:
What wheel sizes are you guys running (offset, backspace, width)?
How do you drive those wheels and do you have any major rubbing issues? In other words, when you stuff the front tire into the fender while lifting another wheel into the air does it hit your fender or is it just a matter of some minor inner fender rubbing?

I'm hoping that someone will tell me they are running these wheels, or wheels with similar dimensions.

Cheers

Maurie

'09 Frontier with OME lift

mcm4090

Explorer
this is what I have.

1. Brand: American Outlaw Wheels
2. Model: Colt
3. Size: 16x8 6-114.3
4. Backspacing:4.25"
5. offset-6mm
6. hub bore is 71.5mm

All the 16" American Outlaw wheels are 8" wide with a -6mm offset. They sick out about 2" further then stock. I know the 17" American Outlaw wheels are 9". Can't remember with the offset was but a think it was -10 with 5" backspacing. The 17" do not stick out pass the fenders.

XterraVT

Observer
Pro Comp 7089

*6 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern
* 16x8
* Backspace = 4 in.
* Offset = -12mm
* Hub Centric = No

My 33s just clipped the center of the fender lip. I added 2" B/L and run 35s now and have yet to catch the fender lip.
I did how ever need to do a good amount of trimming on the lower fender ( where you do the Melt Mod. Cut about an 1" of sheet metal so that the 35 would not rub while turning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles