My Trailer

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
I bought this old trailer 2 months ago for $500. I'll post before pics soon. I love camping and fly fishing. If I use this trailer I plan on getting a At trailer, so i'm doing this on the cheap to see if I like using it. I think it's an old 40's Chevy PU bed??

I have a 9' long Outcast kick boat that sits right on top of the lid/rack that I had built from a local welder. I got the ideas from other members on this forum. I want to thank everyone who has posted pics as I have spend many hours sorting through the old posts looking at pictures.

Things I plan to use the trailer for:
-My camping / Fly fishing trips.
-Haul my Outcast kick boat
-Trips to Home Depot, etc...

List of things I have done:
-Had lid / rack built and installed $525.
-5 cans black spray paint.
-gas can / holder $60
-2 Water Cans $45 from fleabay
-2 mounts for water cans $35 from fleabay
-Axe from wallyworld - $22
-Shovel from Tarjay - $11
-Quick Fist's from fleabay $50 ??
-Tounge box from HF $80
-100 yd Roll of 1.5" Webbing straps $17
-Jack mount $20 from fleabay
-Jack $55 Trtr Supply
-Broom -$10
-Huge bag of SS bolts, screws etc.... $40
-stuff in my garage - FREE

Things I still would like to do:
-have new 3500 lb axle installed that is on order.
-new wheels/tires
-sandblast/repaint
-air shocks??
-lid hinge?? it's really heavy

I'll keep Posting!!

Attachments

• L1030251.jpg
    L1030251.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 817
  • L1030248.jpg
    L1030248.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 775
  • L1030253.jpg
    L1030253.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
It's awesome...love it!!

I like all the add-a-goodies on it...can't ever get enough of them as far as I'm concerned...good luck with it!

Pat

gasman

Adventurer
and you want an AT why ?? looks like you have all you need right there. xcept the rtt.. nice job.. (not knocking the AT)

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
I'm kinda a guy that likes to have the best of everything. Winston & Sage fly rods, Leica M cameras. Thats why I want an AT trailer. They are the best.

I have not decided if I want a RTT. My kick boat takes up all the space on top of the trailer. Maybe on my FJ?

I mounted an old Metal Cooler by drilling holes and mounting it to the trailer. I used rubber washers so hopfully it wont leak. If it does not a big deal anyway. The metal cooler was free. It was dented on the side you can't see. The red paint was faded, so a fresh coat of silver cleaned it up. Notice the bottle opener right next to the cooler and mounted on the cooler. Strategic placement!

I have a commercial sewing machine so it's no big deal for me to sew up some webbing. I made the nets and mounted them on the front and sides. Not sure I like them, they also move quite a bit the one time I have been on the highway. The blue bags, one has firewood and the other charcoal. Always stay dry and ready to burn.

Attachments

• L1030247.jpg
    L1030247.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 249
  • L1030256.jpg
    L1030256.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 260
  • L1030257.jpg
    L1030257.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Mounted the Mag light today. Not sure if they are waterproof and it may get stolen. Most everything else is bolted on or locked.

Attachments

• L1030255.jpg
    L1030255.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 143

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Just bought this last night at Wallyworld for $5. It holds my new Black Diamond latern, paper towels, small trash sack, and room to spare for other things. It comes apart and fits in an included small bag. I think it fits great!

Attachments

• L1030258.jpg
    L1030258.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 414

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
$2 Fly rod holder

It's nice to have place to hold your fly rods when you are taking a break. I had this stuff in my garage already. It seems to work great and holds 4-5 rods right under my kick boat. I wouldn't go down the hwy with them but it will work just going across town.

Attachments

• L1030285.jpg
    L1030285.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 155
  • L1030288.jpg
    L1030288.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 118
  • L1030260.jpg
    L1030260.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 280

TX_TLC

Nicely done! I just picked up a old Studebaker pickup bed on a home built frame for the basis of my at/camping/utility/work trailer. I love seeing these old beds re-purposed!

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
Here is Pic of what I started with. It has come a long way i think.

Attachments

• Trailer.JPG
    Trailer.JPG
    496.6 KB · Views: 180

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
I Need Advice!

I have been spending most my time on the top part of the trailer. Now I need some help. I have ordered a 3500lb from the local trailer supply. It will arrive in a couple of weeks. I really do don't plan on doing any off roading, just highway driving.

The slipper springs on the trailer are longer than usual trailer springs. Should I keep them or go with traditional trailer springs? The guy at the trailer shop said the current springs could break because they are old and brittle. Before I had the heavy lid put on there was a gap between the welded on spiral spring and the leaf spring. Now because of the weight the trailer has dropped about 1". When I stand on the trailer it does still have quite a bit of bounce.

Should I keep these springs? Should I get traditional trailers springs? Should I just add air shocks to what I have?

Attachments

• L1030254.jpg
    L1030254.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 86

Toyotero

Explorer
Those are quite long slipper springs, and they are rather flat. I don't think that you'd be able to put a spring and shackle without raising the trailer height by at least 2-3 inches. As long as you keep the slipper greased I think it would function equally well.

You are probably planning this for when you change the axle, but if that were my trailer, I'd disassemble the leaves, strip, paint and perhaps grease them. They look solid, but have a lot of surface rust which just creates friction between them.

I like the additional coil spring. I plan to do something similar on a trailer that I'm building by adding a progressive rate coil on top of the leaf springs to soften the ride. like this

- Toyotero.

The slipper springs on the trailer are longer than usual trailer springs. Should I keep them or go with traditional trailer springs? The guy at the trailer shop said the current springs could break because they are old and brittle. Before I had the heavy lid put on there was a gap between the welded on spiral spring and the leaf spring. Now because of the weight the trailer has dropped about 1". When I stand on the trailer it does still have quite a bit of bounce.

Should I keep these springs? Should I get traditional trailers springs? Should I just add air shocks to what I have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke