Windshield Protection

dzzz

Anyone give much thought about protecting the windscreen? The huge U500 front window just begs to be broken.
Here's a truck from one of Doug Hackney's interviews. I was thinking screen, but this looks like plexi.

Full Interview

Attachments

• 2008-10-19-SD870%20IS-8006-800.jpg
    2008-10-19-SD870%20IS-8006-800.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 299

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Turtle IV has a flip up mesh gaurd.
Those are abundant in the Outback,Australia. They called them "stoneshields". They also had Roo Bars that completely surrounded the vehicles. I hope I got the terminology right. It's been 31 years since I was down there.

Last edited:

DLippke

Observer
I've been contemplating same -- that $$$$ U-500 heated windshield is just begging to be broken. I think when the Van Pelts spent their year in South America with their U-500 they took a hit but were fortunate to be just a few miles from a place that could repair it before it spread. They reported that it was a substantial fear much of the time. Mike said that he'd often pull to the side of the road or sometimes he'd steer towards the middle of the road to physically block / scare the oncoming bat-out-of-hell traffic into slowing down. He probably didn't want me writing that last, tho ;-)

In any case, I've been wondering what the appropriate screen size and material might be. I see border patrol vehicles running around these days with full window guards with what looks like about 1/2 inch grate -- but that's to address large stones actually being hurled at them. Plus I've had smaller rocks than that take out a windshield. Could it be that "clear bra" adhesive material might offer enough additional protection? It'd certainly be the simple and relatively cheap but I don't know how that interacts with wipers and what it's like to look out through the material vs just through it to paint.

Interested .. /David

dzzz

Windshield repair kits are about $10. While maybe not as clear as the two part professional system, the repair is probably as strong. The use of a do-it-yourself kit precludes later professional repair.
Anyone have a link to a professional kit?
I'm thinking about a stainless steel screen covering the bottom ~40% of the windshield. A full screen would be very tall, and I expect I would leave it off. Bottom 40% coverage may reduce impacts 75%. I've never had a rock hit high on a truck windshield.

I have about 6 rock dings and a crack that is horizontal a couple of inches above the bottom that angles up on the passenger side, therefore doesn't affect vision for the driver at all.
I have a spare heated windshield I plan to install after I return to Alaska. Got it for $300 + shipping from Unimog's amazing "out of business" sale (also alternator, rectifier, air compressor, special tools...)

Charlie

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The common thing here in Australia is to have the lower third covered with a 10mm mesh screen - most trucks in the outback have them and I would not be driving something like a U500 without one - not unless you have a couple of spare windscreens in the back. Road trains throw up a tremendous amount of rocks when driving at 120kph down a dirt highway - and they are much bigger than even a U500 - 90 tons of truck has right of way regardless so you have to move over for them.

When you come over Charlie, talk to a truck supplier or truck service place, they should be able to get one that can be made to fit, alternatively get one made up before you ship it across.

http://www.roofrack.com.au/viewproduct.asp?prodID=33&subcat=12

Roo bars are what you guys call bull bars or brush bars - the main difference is the size and the angle when fitted on a truck - here they are made to push the animal under the truck - so they have a forward rake - you don't ever want an injured roo through your windscreen

On an aside - roo bars on their ute is a "must have " for your average outback jackeroo, a 5 post roo bar and a RM Williams or Caterpillar sticker, massive bull lights on the roll bar and big mudflaps right across the back are supposed to drive the outback girls wild with desire :)

Attachments

• P1260136-2.jpg
    P1260136-2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 197
  • P1260138-1-1.jpg
    P1260138-1-1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Windshield Tear Off

I installed windshield tear off for a trip to Alaska that worked great. Its used in the racecar business and comes in several layers. Mine was a 5 layer product. It washes and cleans and when it is to scratched to bad to use you tear off a layer and its as good as new. Its mostly good for flat windows or has to be pre formed to fit your windscreen which comes at a cost. I used a piece from a stock vehicle so I didn't install it on the whole window only the lower vulnerable parts but it didn't matter. it cleaned the same as glass but I had to hand wipe after the squeege because of the edge thickness.

I installed screens over the headlights in S.A but often just slowed or stopped if traffic was to fast and as noted above sometimes tried intimidation. (Intimidation is easy in a Unimog) If your vehicle is not moving you seldom get the rock.

dzzz

Michael, that's an interesting approach. Will you continue to use the sheets?

You make a good point. Rocks don't usually hit windsheilds. Vehicles hit rocks thrown in the air.

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Windshield Tearoff

Its an expensive product and not easy to get but I liked it. However for S.A I just chode to go on the defensive and slow or stop. For me its what's outside the windows... slowing down to enjoy nature is best for my personel preference.

dzzz

Here's an image I probably stole from Doug Hackney.

Note the front corner protection above the bumper. Nicely done.
Is there any advantage to the sun visor as compared to a tint strip at top?

Attachments

• 2008-02-06-SD870 IS-IMG_1772.jpg
    2008-02-06-SD870 IS-IMG_1772.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 234

skysix

Adventurer
Low and middle, surprisingly mostly on right side and middle.

Charlie
If you are driving "normally" (ie: not RHD lke UK) I would expect that. More small gravel and loose rocks on the shoulder and between the most commonly used area of the road - the ruts if you will - in the tarmac) than elsewhere so more likely to get picked up and thrown...

dzzz

Any U500 owners interested in a "group buy" on a windshied screen? Perhaps an Aussie company already making screens, or a U.S. custom shop. I'm not aware of any Oz U500, so that may be a problem getting it from "down under".

I'm thinking the best attachment points are where the snow plow lights mount. It seems that it should be possible to attach both the screen and the lights. The one custom attachment point probably should be centered (below the windshield). Height to be discussed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles