Camper and Truck Photos

Gekkgo

DIY Popup

HHDP.jpgHHUF.jpg

This was a last minute project.. but I'm really happy with how it turned out.. its a work in process now.. but its functional as it is.

downside! All wood (heavy)

UPSIDE it cost under $500 (with the AC/Heater - thank you ebay)

Popup is manual.. dead lift rear and farm jack the front up.. but the mech is simple and secure..

bones.jpg

GeneHacker

A couple pictures of the new family camping rig. We cut off the bottom of the camper and mounted it on the workbed. The inside is pretty basic...that is the next major project.

AsmallTruck2.JPG

AsmallTruck1.JPG

GeneHacker

Right now its bolted though firring strips (wood). I am planning on using polyurethane concrete crack filler...it sicks to anything, handles uv well and never hardens. I have really good luck using it on sailboats for the last few years after it was recommended to me from a boat builder. And its cheap...under $10/tube at lowes or HD.

I am 6ft 3in so the extra 8in in bed height makes a huge difference compared to the camper sitting on a normal truck bed. I don't like the large gap from the cab to the camper but I plan on building a rack from the camper to the front bumper to hold my toys (kayaks, and Mountain bikes).

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Right now its bolted though firring strips (wood). I am planning on using polyurethane concrete crack filler...it sicks to anything, handles uv well and never hardens. I have really good luck using it on sailboats for the last few years after it was recommended to me from a boat builder. And its cheap...under $10/tube at lowes or HD.

I am 6ft 3in so the extra 8in in bed height makes a huge difference compared to the camper sitting on a normal truck bed. I don't like the large gap from the cab to the camper but I plan on building a rack from the camper to the front bumper to hold my toys (kayaks, and Mountain bikes).

I didn't notice the gap until you mentioned it, but yes a rack would make it disappear.
Something like this could also work:
Picture 217.jpg

GeneHacker

That is what I was thinking about at first, but then I found a huge rack with sides that was built for a van. Its 4.5ft wide and 10ft long. It will just fit from the front of the camper to the front bumper. It has 16in sides (the bottom 8in is covered with expanded steel as is the bottom). It will hold a ton of stuff...which is good. We have 3 kids, two big dogs and I am into a lot of different sports so I love having all my toys when I travel. In the past that meant pulling a trailer. My goal it to build this thing so it holds everything I need for a couple week road trip...including all of our toys. I am sure there will be a gas mileage penalty.

I love that front bumper on the truck in the picture you shared. I have a nice winch...the right front bumper is another of the bigger items on my "to do" list.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
That is what I was thinking about at first, but then I found a huge rack with sides that was built for a van. Its 4.5ft wide and 10ft long. It will just fit from the front of the camper to the front bumper. It has 16in sides (the bottom 8in is covered with expanded steel as is the bottom). It will hold a ton of stuff...which is good. We have 3 kids, two big dogs and I am into a lot of different sports so I love having all my toys when I travel. In the past that meant pulling a trailer. My goal it to build this thing so it holds everything I need for a couple week road trip...including all of our toys. I am sure there will be a gas mileage penalty.

I love that front bumper on the truck in the picture you shared. I have a nice winch...the right front bumper is another of the bigger items on my "to do" list.

Post pictures when you get done...Cheers.

revor

Explorer
New Camping rig!

Howdy folks. While I'm not new here (I used to live over on the Rover forum) I used to be a Slide in camper guy years ago due to the simplicity durability and comfort!!! Over the years we did more "expeditioning" Using Roof top tents and a sweet little trailer with a RTT mounted to it. Some of the places I've dragged this stuff is unreal.
Ahh but times change and I'm happy to report that the days of underpowered old Land Rovers and getting dressed in a small dark tent are, for the most part behind me. I've gleaned a lot of good information from "the Portal" and this rig is no exception, thanks for that!
Details. 2004.5 Cummins, Auto, CM flatbed. Dodge Allows (great wheels!!!) Michelin LTX AT2 295-70-17. That's is so for.. A bigger fuel tank is in the plans. Top mounted Tool boxes coming next week.
A new bumper and winch as soon as the dust settles!!!
Now I'll shut up and let the Pics do the talking..

Attachments

• 2014-09-13_16-05-31_111.jpg
    2014-09-13_16-05-31_111.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 2014-09-14_10-46-53_553.jpg
    2014-09-14_10-46-53_553.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 183
  • yampa river by Meeker.JPG
    yampa river by Meeker.JPG
    711.3 KB · Views: 202

silversand

Observer
Last few days of April in southern Quebec; preparing for expe.

apr_28th_storm4.jpg

Calm before the floods: 1st Landing, Norfolk, VA

105.jpg

Ballooning

festc.jpg

Boondocking ~35 feet from the Atlantic, Maine

atcamp.jpg

RD 7950 in the Chaco region of NM

img014.jpg

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s (just changed for Goodyear DuraTrac LR:E meats) | 2005.5 Outfitter Caribou (original owner: just refurbished from tub to rooftop)

Last edited:

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Last few days of April in southern Quebec; preparing for expe.

apr_28th_storm4.jpg

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s (just changed for Goodyear DuraTrac LR:E meats) | 2005.5 Outfitter Caribou (original owner: just refurbished from tub to rooftop)

I could have taken the same snowy picture here last week as "first few days of September"...but I didn't...trying to forget instead.

lndhark

Adventurer
I could have taken the same snowy picture here last week as "first few days of September"...but I didn't...trying to forget instead.

Gotta love southern Alberta weather! My wife is from YYC so I know all about sweating in February (Chinooks) and freezing in August...

colierar

Observer
New to me Jayco

This is my very first camper. Here is a couple driveway crappy cellphone shots. So far so good, my son and I took it to a local county park this last weekend and it was a great time. The only thing not working is the fridge. I will figure that out next summer. But we are anxious to get up in the hills this fall and do some dry camping. I have the truck set up with an isolated second battery and the camper all wired up for it. Love this site, there is so much great information and knowledgeable people on here.

WP_20140902_008.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20140902_003.jpg
    WP_20140902_003.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 85
  • WP_20140902_006.jpg
    WP_20140902_006.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 83
  • WP_20140902_005.jpg
    WP_20140902_005.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 87

Forum statistics