OM617 into ???

CaptSlower

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a while, but time to post.

My DD is a 1981 Mercedes 300D. Apparently an unusual naturally aspirated version of an 81. It has 150,000 miles on it. In my 6 years of ownership, it has been well taken care of mechanically, but road salt has been tough on the body. I'd like to build a rig to explore some backroads in the upper midwest's hard wood uplands and national forests. I have been puzzling on how to just use a 4 door sedan, but I would like to have more room. I am tall and what used to be described as rangy. My traveling companion is Moe, a 2 year old lab/cattledog cross...so a 40 lb. clown.:) Ideally I would like to find a Benz w123 wagon. I am looking into compatibility of a 4 speed Mercedes transmission and rear springs to replace the self-leveling units that are stock. Everyone else is looking for these wagons too and they are increasingly more difficult to find.

I don't think I need 4x4, but if I know me, I'll take it places I shouldn't.

My question is: is there something out there I can put my om617 in that will work? I considered an Astro van, but it is 800 lbs heavier than my sedan. To get to my destinations I will travel 300 highway miles one way so mileage is important. I'd also like something I can flop in the back of to avoid setting up tent in the middle of the night after a 6 hour drive.

Oh, and I am on a rather frayed and knotted shoestring budget, but am not afraid to do the work myself.

Thank you!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm an OM617 MB guy. All 123 sedans were naturally aspirated until 1982. SD's got the turbo in 79 and wagons got it in 80 or 81. Once you drive a turbo version, it will be hard to resist not having one, particularly at altitude. Whatever you do, if you get a TD (wagon) don't remove the SLS. The self-leveling suspension is one of the greatest feature of the wagon (and the sedans that have it). There is no reliable and equal substitute for it and once you've used it you'd never be without it. I've had my TD for about 6 years and love it. Search on Jurgen and his TD here and you'll see what can be done in one. This is the best source for Mercedes diesel discussion:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=15
MB vans with the 616 or 617 are great although none were turbo'd from the factory. I've owned a couple myself. They're old enough to be imported into the US now. www.mobile.de under motorhomes will give you lots of van conversion options.
There's a link in the expedition camper for sale section here right now to a Jeep FC with a camper on the back converted to an om617 that is quite cool.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
Find an Arizona FJ60 and put the OM617 into it. There are kits available. Use a 5spd like a Toyota H55F.

Charlie

What kind of power is a NA OM putting out? They werent high on hp or tq numbers to begin with. I cant imagine what it would be like from behind the wheel. I think that an FJ60 might be too big and heavy for that motor.

What kind of power is a NA OM putting out? They werent high on hp or tq numbers to begin with. I cant imagine what it would be like from behind the wheel. I think that an FJ60 might be too big and heavy for that motor.

I believe the NA 3.0L 5cyl is ~180 ft-lb and ~110-120hp.
Compare with the 3B in the BJ60, 91hp/159 ft-lb. It's closer to the 2H in the HJ60, 102 hp/~180 ft-lb.
I could be wrong.
Proper gearing and a 5spd would be a must.

Charlie

kerry

Expedition Leader

G-Wagon's used the engine as did MB vans. Most MB vans had the even smaller om616. They were geared for a top speed of about 68mph.

CaptSlower

Curb weight of my sedan is 3500 lbs. It has enough power for me. Fj60 is 4200. As you can tell by my screen name I am rarely in a hurry. A 60 might work if I was judicious with cargo. Thanks for the thoughts. I'd really like a small van. Any MB vans already in US that would work?

kerry

Expedition Leader
The vans with the 616 or 617's in them were numbered 207d, 307d, 407d or 209d, 409d. There were some grey market imports. I owned a 409d in the US for a while. Not very common but persistent nationwide searches on Craiglist or Ebay should show one or two a year at least I think.

CaptSlower

So after reading about the couple who crossed the Darien Gap in a CJ5, I added the Wrangler to my list of possibles. If a 6'4" guy and his wife can sleep in a CJ, then Moe and I should be ok in a TJ. I found a local bare bones '97 TJ 4 cyl. 5 spd. with high mileage and no rust(unusual here) for $2500. Going to look at it tomorrow. It seems this swap has been done before, but I can't find any long-term reports on its success. Anyone?

[Mods: can I post this question in the Jeep area as well? I don't want to violate forum rules and have multiple threads going.]

This vehicle is on the small end of my useful scale, but would work.

Thanks again for all the help.

spamman450

There is a 409D on inland empire craigslist.

I have a 1979 240D that i use for light expo trips. I raised it with spring shims, built a roof rack, and have a Benz skid plate on the way from Germany. The car handles rough dirt roads quite well. I put a turbo motor in, mated to a 4 speed manual tranny, and that makes the car move so much nicer. I vote you keep it:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94