Military Water Can sources

4x4mike

Adventurer
Thanks for the lead Mike. I just got back from the store with all the bits to make the spout. I've tapped the first water jug and it looks like I didn't mess it up to badly. Easy peasy.

Cool and glad to hear. Technically the hole should be reamed or drilled a bit as the tap requires some force. I didn't have anything large enough so I went for it. The small sprinkler pipe section is a tight fit (not too bad actually) but this is good because it seals really well and mine doesn't drip at all. On my second lid I used vasoline to lube the tap and it left the threads a little cleaner than the lid I used nothing on.

ThomD

Explorer
Cool and glad to hear. Technically the hole should be reamed or drilled a bit as the tap requires some force. I didn't have anything large enough so I went for it. The small sprinkler pipe section is a tight fit (not too bad actually) but this is good because it seals really well and mine doesn't drip at all. On my second lid I used vasoline to lube the tap and it left the threads a little cleaner than the lid I used nothing on.

Good point on the vasoline; my first set of threads are ugly, but the soft plastic of the lid is forgiving.

One more thing, Mike, I'd like an adapter that allows me to connect my Coleman hot water on demand unit directly to a water jug. Please build me a prototype. :sombrero:

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Water cans

Anyone in the Sacramento, Ca. area want to buy one or two cans, I would like one or two but not three although I would like the free shipping.

desertrover

Adventurer
My experiences with the Sceptor cans has been generally negative, but that may be due to the poor condition of the cans I've used. Then water can has a coarser cap thread and a breather vent, which is absent on the fuel can. The water can is commonly used for water as well as everything else. I've seen them containing diesel, HDO15-45, 80-90 gear oil, ATF, and who knows what else. I've seen people go to the hospital due to petroleum contaminated cans. Leak are also fairly common with both the fuel and water cans, at least in hot desert environments. I think it is due to a softening of the plastic combined with increased internal pressure. Old German style steel cans are in common use overseas on many foreign military vehicles, as well as by whoever can get their hands on them. They don't have rust issues in the desert and seem to be more reliable imo.
-CJ

teotwaki

Excelsior!
My experiences with the Sceptor cans has been generally negative, but that may be due to the poor condition of the cans I've used. Then water can has a coarser cap thread and a breather vent, which is absent on the fuel can. The water can is commonly used for water as well as everything else. I've seen them containing diesel, HDO15-45, 80-90 gear oil, ATF, and who knows what else. I've seen people go to the hospital due to petroleum contaminated cans. Leak are also fairly common with both the fuel and water cans, at least in hot desert environments. I think it is due to a softening of the plastic combined with increased internal pressure. Old German style steel cans are in common use overseas on many foreign military vehicles, as well as by whoever can get their hands on them. They don't have rust issues in the desert and seem to be more reliable imo.
-CJ

With the fuel cans the leaks are generally due to misuse. For instance, gasoline in diesel cans causes the rubber gasket to swell, breaking the retention ring and the gasket drops out. Here is a pix of four old 5 gallon Scepter cans on their sides in the hot Death Valley sun and no leaks at all. Having the proper Viton gasket is important.

The water cans should never be used for anything but water. Putting petroleum products in them is just plain dumb.

SC-Surfer

Observer
Other than marked for water, how do they differ from the tan fuel (diesel) CANS? Looks the same to me.

Thanks for the tip on buying 3 for the shipping deal!

LOUIE

Unfortunately they won't work for fuel. They have no rubber seal in the lid or on the two smaller openings. They have a tendency to leak. Just a little. No biggie for water, but not good for fuel! I wish....I tried it. Ruined a water can in the process...

Toolman

Explorer
I found this link a little too late... I bought 3 of them for $60 and 3 2.5 gallon for $50 plus shipping.. from OFF ROAD TRAIL TOOLS... I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER... and I feel very taken advantage of... I will never buy anything from them again.

I should have came here first.... :oops:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I found this link a little too late... I bought 3 of them for $60 and 3 2.5 gallon for $50 plus shipping.. from OFF ROAD TRAIL TOOLS... I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER... and I feel very taken advantage of... I will never buy anything from them again.

I should have came here first.... :oops:

Are yours Scepter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior