UAV for video?

Bighead

Adventurer
I was wondering though. One problem we had that we couldn't overcome cheaply was recording location/elevation/time and HEADING information along with the captured video. There were methods to capture location, but not heading and we really needed to know what direction the camera was pointed.

Has this problem been solved? I could see using similar capture technology being used in (say) dash-cam video.

Are you asking about a RC-type aircraft with a camera or a true Small Unmanned Air Vehicle like the military is currently using?

GreenToys

Observer
About 10-12 years ago I was part of a group looking into this sort of technology for SAR....specifically flying a small UAV into areas that big aircraft couldn't go, or would be too dangerous to try. Nothing came of it, but the technology is WAY more advanced these days so who knows?

I was wondering though. One problem we had that we couldn't overcome cheaply was recording location/elevation/time and HEADING information along with the captured video. There were methods to capture location, but not heading and we really needed to know what direction the camera was pointed.

Has this problem been solved? I could see using similar capture technology being used in (say) dash-cam video.

I've seen it in a military armament research facility... yes that technology was there years ago...developed and perfected... but like you said, to overcome it cheaply for own use is a problem and if it's even available to civilian consumers.

spacer

Observer
For simple elevated camera platforms, I think the kite or tethered balloon are great ideas.
I'm wanting to set up a mildly offroadable trailer to haul an STOL airplane with me, and I'd use it to fly from fields of opportunity. Photography is definitely in my plans for that.

If I'm flying solo, I'll probably set up a pan/tilt head with a panel mount display, as it does take some concentration to take good photos. I do fine in the Cessna or the Cherokee at a thousand or so feet AGL, but in an ultralight-type plane at lower altitudes, gotta be careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles