Collective thoughts on CUCV m 1008 as daily driver?

DT75FLH

Adventurer
are those 6.2s reliable motors ? when i say reliable i mean can it actually be driven 200.000 miles?

make sure the crank dampner is in good shape....or just replace it as a maint item. they produce some harmonics that can break the cast crank over time if the rubber in the dampner goes out....course the one that went it my 86 sub had 280k miles on it :)

when tearing the motor down , the cyl walls had NO visible wear or ridge built up....i was impressed.

I also drove these when they were brand new while in the service....to say we were hard on them is an understatement....on the highway we drove them at redline for MILES...usually about 55 mph screaming with them fully loaded....

I also remember driving them out of a field when it rained for 3 days straight. we had to mud bog them over 3 small range hills and we had them loaded over the roof. the only way to get out without getting stuck was 2 floor it in 4 hi to get to the road for about 400'....we almost rolled 2 of them ....but it was fun.....

NapaBavarian

are those 6.2s reliable motors ? when i say reliable i mean can it actually be driven 200.000 miles?

The simple answer is yes, but take care of it, change the oil, keep the coolant full, don't run some crazy turbo, it's a great engine, but if you ever have the head off you'll see it could use one more head bolt. It will take light boost, and if I were to replace the heads I'd go to head studs that won't stretch like bolts, same with a turboed engine or any engine that is expected to take you 200 miles from civilisation and get you home again.

It isn't as robust as a Cummins, Isuzu, or even an international 6.9/7.2, but probably the least expensive and best fuel economy, perfect for a half ton.

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
PM me if you have any questions, or post them up here. My DD is a M1028. Fully solar, inverter, LED's, a ridiculous camper sound system, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm running skinny 36's and cruise around 65.

202604d1285105042-post-your-cucv-pics-here-cb2.jpg

attachment.php

index.php

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/ is your friend when dealing with these trucks. All the military service manuals are available online for free too.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have been the Army/Army national guard since 1996 and we beat on them daily... rarely do they break. By rarely, I mean its almost unheard of. Its been my experience that when they do break its something simple, and almost always related to a faulty repair being done prior.

ARlZONA

Observer
Picked this up for $2K and repainted it, added a 4" lift and 35's, a new injection pump and it was a great truck for a few years. ODO only showed 36K miles and although detented a bit the truck felt every bit as solid.

122772439_img027.jpg

122772452_img028.jpg

Outback

Explorer
If by daily driver with NO MODS and meant to be driven on the highway for long periods of time then get a M1009. The M1009 can run all day long at highway speeds. I have a M1028 (truck CUCV) and drive it everywhere including highways but dont like running it over 65 mph (34" tall tires) for any amount of time. Well there was that 10 hours road trip...... If I had the stock 235/85R16 on then it would be a 55MPH only rig. Mods you would have to do if you have the M1028, M1008, M1010 or M1031 and want to run it as an expedition rig would include swapping out the HD Turbo 400 to a built up (by Monster Transmissions) 700R4 OD transmission. This gives you a 30% Over Drive and a really nice low 1st gear. The NP208 is a good transfercase but should be swapped out to a NP205/203 Doubler. A NP205 LoMax would also be nice but good luck finding one. An Atlas 2 speed wouldnt be to shabby either. The dream engine would be a Peninsular built 6.5 that produces 220 hp and 420ft lbs trq. But are pricey to say the least. They also make a 300 HP and a 320 hp version but not needed for what we do. At the very least a Banks Sidewinder would be nice (plus all mods to beef up engine strength internally). I run mine stock for now and you get use to Granny/Handicap stickered vehicles passing you going up any grades even when unloaded. Load it down with all the kit we take and you will be the slowest one out there. Not that its a bad thing (unless there is traffic). On 55 mph roads you will have a blast. Off road you will be just fine and will welcome the Stout Dana 60 King pin front axle and the Beefy Corporate 14 bolt out the back. The Detroit locker is real handy as well! Throw in an ARB up front and you will be next to unstopable off road. With the tire sizes we generally run you will never need to worry about breaking anything in the drive train. The NP208 is fine but needs to be treated well. Change the fluid once a year and I doubt she will go South on you unless it was abused before hand. That, you just wont know. If you throw in a NP205 with a Doubler then you will have a low range, Mid range and high range gear for any situation! Not to mention it would match the rest of your gear train in strength IE bullet proof. BUT THEY ARE NOT FOR MOST PEOPLE! Its stricly back to basics with these trucks. NO AC, No POWER anything and they are noisey. Just the way I happen to like my trucks. Oh sure I have an 2011 3/4 4x4 Dodge with the fancy Cummins and every option under the sun but man, I sure like my Military truck. In fact I almost never drive my new truck when im home. The wife uses it for work and to pick up the kids but I still prefer to ride in my Mil Spec Rig. I hope this answers a few questions for you and anyone else has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior