Question: Cooking with cast iron

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Would these methods work on a rusty cast iron kettle i just got off ebay for £0.99 p?.

Put a wire wheel on your drill and get all the thick rust and goop off it, then use oven cleaner and soak it to clean the rest off. You may need to use the oven cleaner two or three times to get everything, rinsing and drying the pan between each application. You're goal is to have shiny bare metal to start seasoning.

Joanne

Adventurer
Put a wire wheel on your drill and get all the thick rust and goop off it, then use oven cleaner and soak it to clean the rest off. You may need to use the oven cleaner two or three times to get everything, rinsing and drying the pan between each application. You're goal is to have shiny bare metal to start seasoning.

Once clean, apply a LIGHT coating of oil, crisco, bacon grease, or other favorite fat. I like the high heat method of seasoning so I usually get my gas grill up to about 500f and let it rip. You need to keep an eye on the iron because if you leave it too long you can start to burn the seasoning back off. You are looking for a nice black color. If it's brown, it hasn't gotten hot enough.

Joanne

SmokeEater2

My wife and I are big cast iron fans. We have several pieces that belonged to our grand parents and a few that we've picked up at thrift stores cheap. Any rusty or crusty pieces were covered with oven cleaner and tied up in a plastic bag for a few days, washed in soapy water and then rinsed well and seasoned. Rust comes off easily if they're soaked in citric acid and HOT water.

I've got a square Wagner skillet that fits perfectly on a Coleman stove, A small Griswold skillet and a new Lodge 10 inch skillet (In the oven right now baking on more seasoning) and a Lodge Dutch camp oven that get taken camping on a regular basis. Once they are seasoned well nothing sticks to 'em. :chef:

Besides, I can bludgeon a Sasquatch with one if needed.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I know this is a bit off topic but I noticed railroad spikes mentioned. did you all know rr spikes are illegal to possess. they are all considered property of the rr and if you have them you stole them. they are on the bulletin board at our local recycler as not allowed. amazing isn't it. highdesertranger

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Once clean, apply a LIGHT coating of oil, crisco, bacon grease, or other favorite fat. I like the high heat method of seasoning so I usually get my gas grill up to about 500f and let it rip. You need to keep an eye on the iron because if you leave it too long you can start to burn the seasoning back off. You are looking for a nice black color. If it's brown, it hasn't gotten hot enough.

Joanne
I use flax oil (I work in a chemical analysis equipment training lab).
Instead of a chemist's reason, read this lady's: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
I use flax oil

I do too - great results. The key is to treat cooking and seasoning as distinctly different activities.

A warning though: flax stinks when seasoning, so do this before windows are closed for the winter. In an oven is best, so outside can be tricky. Earplugs to block out the complaints from anyone in your house are also an option.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I do too - great results. The key is to treat cooking and seasoning as distinctly different activities.

A warning though: flax stinks when seasoning, so do this before windows are closed for the winter. In an oven is best, so outside can be tricky. Earplugs to block out the complaints from anyone in your house are also an option.
When you heat flax oil, you get a smell that even old fish complain about. Yes, a fish will say, "dang, what's that smell????"

stephaneD

I use 108 years old griswold and only cook with those all the time. When you learn to use them, they are the best and will last forever. Teflon is very bad for the health
Also there is Carbon steel from De buyer I use in my boat since years and to be honest they are better for pure cooking easier to season and lighter but they dont look as good http://www.debuyer.com

Last edited:

DaveNay

Adventurer

When you heat flax oil, you get a smell that even old fish complain about. Yes, a fish will say, "dang, what's that smell????"

I think you guys let your flax oil go rancid. I keep mine in the refrigerator and I have never had a bad smell when seasoning my pans. Also make sure it's 100% pure flax oil with no additives.

I use this one from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OUK6Q/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_SC_dp_1

81sm1EFL22L._SL1500_.jpg

PirateB

I pretty much only cook with cast iron at home, I have pieces over 50 years old--I can fry an egg in most of them, the more you use them the better they get.

Le Cruset IMO is the best,but pricy. Behind that is Lodge--made in the USA!

I generally clean with a ragand water, mild soap if really bad, just always wipe em down with crisco or oil and they'll serve you well. I recently got some of pieces at a yard sell that were so caked in grease and carbon they weren't useable. Left them in my pizza oven at work @ 500* for 12 hours--good as new. When firing them (shouldn't be necessary unless not properly maintained) just heat and cool them slowly/evenly and you shouldn't have an issue with cracking. Hope this helps, cheers

Joanne

Adventurer
Before buying new pans, you might want to check out antique stores. The Griswold and Wagner pans made long ago have a bit more steel in them and the surface is very smooth, easier clean up. Their also lighter than the new pans.

I used the oven cleaning setting on mine, then the seasoning on the barbecue.

Don't know what it's like where you live, but here in Vegas the "antique" shops are stupid on their cast iron prices. I've seen modern Lodge pieces priced higher than I could buy new at Sportman's Warehouse. We do pretty well hitting the thrift stores around here. No so often Griswold, but Wagners are pretty common. The swap meets are another decent source.

Just my .02 worth.
Joanne

gotmud

Observer
I had pieces my ex destroyed by using them incorrectly and washing in the dishwasher. A couple minutes in the blasting cabinet and they looked like new again, just needed to be re-seasoned.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Don't know what it's like where you live, but here in Vegas the "antique" shops are stupid on their cast iron prices. I've seen modern Lodge pieces priced higher than I could buy new at Sportman's Warehouse. We do pretty well hitting the thrift stores around here. No so often Griswold, but Wagners are pretty common. The swap meets are another decent source.

Just my .02 worth.
Joanne

I found three real nice little 8 inch pans that I think are Wagners at a garage sale for a buck a piece, all got restored and all are in use.

Joanne

Adventurer
I had pieces my ex destroyed by using them incorrectly and washing in the dishwasher. A couple minutes in the blasting cabinet and they looked like new again, just needed to be re-seasoned.

That is one of the benefits of cast iron. Even when misused, they can be stripped down and reseasoned. I've heard of husbands and wives getting into knock-down drag-out fights over the iron. I love my ovens and skillets, but ultimately they are just cast iron that can take a ton of abuse and turn out just fine.

I'll be heading out next week for a week of camping up around Tonopah, NV. My friend bought a 12 and 10 GSI aluminum DO set at a yard sale. I may take them with me to try out and see how they cook. I've never used an AL oven so it will be interesting to see how they perform.

Joanne

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles