Backup/reverse lights: thoughts?

soonenough

Explorer
Bumping this thread up for a new product release. Looks like DDM tuning just came out with a line of LED lamps for a VERY reasonable price. They come in square or round, spot or flood. Seems a DIY camp light setup will be in the works.

110mm-Square-5x3W-HP-Flood-LED-W_fs.gif
116mm-Round-6x3W-HP-Flood-LED-W_fs.gif

That seems like a really good price for those lights. Does anyone know how many amps they draw? I'm wondering if you could wire directly from the battery to the light (with a switch) rather than having to use a relay.

The site says (6) 3W LEDs for the round light, for a total of 18W, which means a current draw of ~ 1.5A @ 12V, right? Or is it not that simple?

mr_gs-r

Bumping this thread up for a new product release. Looks like DDM tuning just came out with a line of LED lamps for a VERY reasonable price. They come in square or round, spot or flood. Seems a DIY camp light setup will be in the works.

110mm-Square-5x3W-HP-Flood-LED-W_fs.gif
116mm-Round-6x3W-HP-Flood-LED-W_fs.gif

I have ran the DDM hid kits on my bikes for about a year now. Great bang for the buck lights, i have had no issues with them.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have two, round, rubber housed, impliment lights on the back of my Scout on the bumper. Switched to either be on all the time, off all the time or on only in reverse. They have been there for probably 20 years. LOVE them. Stock reverse lights are basically worthless.
Darrell

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have used a simple tractor back up light switched from the dash - works realy well and total cost is under $20.

On my Landcruiser, there are two 2" holes fitted with undercounter type 12V Xenon bulbs hooked to operate from the reverse switch. These provide plenty of light and take up very little space in the Kaymar bumper. They are, of course, recessed to reduce the possibility of damage when reversing.

z3r0

Observer
i have hid's in my taillights for reverse

brighter than getting a pair of work lights and adding them

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I've recycled driving lights for years. My current backup light is an old chromed Warn driving light bolted to the upright next to the taillight housing. I use a 30A Bosch driving light relay and a underdash switch wired through my aux fuse panel and #2 battery to power it.

I'll probably replace it with a flood light soon, since the driving beam is far from optimal for backing; it's better than nothing, though, and the price was right.

macguyvermedic

I upgraded my stock reverse lights with LED's from V LED and boy are they bright. I have considered adding the Hella's in addition just haven't been able to justify them. There is also the Rigid Industries LED Floods that are amazingly bright but a bit pricey.
a6898dd4-d847-b8f9.jpg

Updated via the Death Star control module.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior