Backup/reverse lights: thoughts?

articulate

Expedition Leader
I've seen some dudes mount a single spot - or maybe a fog or driving - light to the back of their vehicle. Wired to operate when in reverse. Clever mod.

Do you have one? If so, why? Does it help? Do you like it? etc.

I just want to gather information here, get the scoop. "Shed some light" on the situation.
:26_13_1:
thanks.

slooowr6

Explorer
I have bought a set of fog http://www.rallylights.com/Optilux/optilux_1200.asp. It's cheap and come with everything you need, maybe you need a longer wire to run to the back. I plan to mount in under my rear bumper.
Every time I backup in the dark, especially in place that does not have any light, I can't see anything in the back, the contrast between headlight and the darkness of the back is too big. I don't want to spend too much on the back up light, I'm not planning backup a 60mph so the $30 light is perfect for me.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
let it be light...

I have 2 hella dual bulbs work lights on top of my fj62 yakima cross bars-I love
the set up-I used to have 2 hella fog lights there but found out that the narrow beam did not do as good of a job, and that when in use, such as setting up camp at midnight or loading up my kayaks after a night of paddling, that fog pattern was blinding.
the work light lens pattern diffuses the beam into a very wide angel -much more "workable" ..

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark.........

I'm interested in the same thing.

I would like it to be able to operate two ways.

On while shifting in reverse.

And........

By way of separate switch on the dash.

Has anyone done this and/or is it possible?

By including a switch on the dash, it would be easier to use while parked and camping.

Hey Mark!......how would a light look on your snorkel>?!!!! ....hehe:wings:

(not trying to highjack your thread Mark....just trying to help make it better!) :beer:

slooowr6

Explorer
yes, you can have it on both switch and reverse. Put a relay on the stock back up light and a seperate relay to the switch.

For me I want to keep simple so I plan to only use switch. I don't want the back up light to be on when I'm backing up in Safeway or places in the city. To do that I have to put another switch to turn the back up light off. Too mcuh work for my lazy bone.
:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
I use a pair of $15 Hella driving lamps tucked under my stock bumper, mounted on the rear-facing surface of my class 3 hitch. They make a terrific difference, especially since I have a cap on my truck, and need all the help I can get. They are shaded by the bumper, so they are invisible when standing near the truck, and do not blind drivers of other vehicles.

They currently come on with the backup lights via a relay.

I plan to use a SPDT switch to choose between the "signal" from the stock reverse lamps and an ignition switched 12V source to trigger the relay. This is so I can "defeat" the present arrangement, and either have them switched on, always off, or switched by the stock lamps. I will do this with only one switch, probably in a stock location under the power points in my dash. The existing (Hella) relay will work with this arrangement.

The "always on" switch position will be wired to the acc position, instead of ign, since I intend to use with the truck not running, in park, for setting up camp, hooking up trailers, and stuff of that nature.

First pic is of the pass side bracket, second is of driver side installed lamp.

Last edited:
I had Steve Hinken (previously Stout) build mounts for 2 PIAA rectangular back-up lights in my bumper. They're well protected and cast plenty of light. I have a rocker switch in the console...it's not connected to the regular backup lights so I can use them independently--great for setting up camp, repelling tailgaters, and (accidentally) annoying drivers on the I-10 in LA during rush hour..oops. I'm very happy with this set-up. I can email pictures if you want (I haven't learned how to post pictures yet).

asteffes

Explorer
Get one of these. They rock.

DSC04057.jpg

Available from EE and elsewhere.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I just tapped the stock back-up light wiring near the harness connector on the rear of the driverside frame rail. The stock wiring is plenty heavy enough for the light that I added. (I know that scotch lock taps are a "no-no" heat shrink and solder are a much better solution. Do as I preach, not as I do.)

butap.jpg

The hole I had left over after raising my hitch and adding recovery hooks worked pretty good for mounting the light. It is just a small implement light, but works great.

bult2.jpg
bult.jpg

If you are adding more than the small light that I added , a relay would be a good idea. It can be activated by the same wire that I used. I would mount a relay inside the rear frame rail near the tail light wiring.

Tractor supply rubber housing lights with a integrated bulb reflector work really well. You choose flood or spot.

NAPA Online page

256061.jpg

Item#: BK 7355799

Price: $15.99

Attributes:
Manufacturer:pilot Automotive
Style Name:Rubber Housing Utility Light
Material:Rubber
Dimensions:4"
Color:Black
Installation Type:to Bracket to Vehicle
Package Contents:Light Brackets Installation Hardware & Instructions

Those are sealed beam bulbs. They just pop out of that rubber housing.
That is what I have on my old S-10. If those flood lamp bulbs do not offer enough light, there is an aircraft landing light bulb that fits right in that rubber housing. They really are durable. They one I have on my old S-10 has been in service for over a decade.
It is switch operated, so that may have something to do with the hours of operation. I prefer the way my current truck is wired though. Several times I forgot that I had flipped the switch and drove around with the back-up light on. Having it come on with the back-up lights is a better idea. Heck the parking lots are where you need it most.

My one light plus the 50w halogen back up light replacement bulbs are ok. Not daylight , and not as much as I had on my old truck, but pretty good. If I need some serious light I attach my winch and the remote controlled lights to the rear.

I only added one light. Keep in mind that the drivers side is all you really need most of the time. If your window tint is really dark, the passenger side mirror doesn't do much for you when it is dark outside.

If you are down to one lamp and the wattage is low enough, tapping the wiring for that light and not using a relay may work. If the draw is too much you pop the fuse. Mine have been working fine for quite a long time now.

I have a similar setup planned, a pair of recon PIAA ion fogs I snagged on Ebay. The rectangular profile should make it easier to protect them, originally they were going in the bumper (and still might). Something important to keep in mind when installing anything under your truck is make sure that when (not if) you bonk something, the light won't be touched--all it takes is make sure something else sturdy hangs lower and near the light.

86cj

Explorer
I have backup lights added to all my vehicles and I use one driving and one flood. Most brands you can add another light will no ill effects, some like my Jeep a relay was needed. The Hella dual light is a great choice, the upgrade 55w replacement lamp for stock reverse bulbs helps somewhat also...

My Jeep used the PIAA 1500 backup kit with a dash switch for (OFF, ON, ON in REV) and the ease of installation was brainless the switch, relay and wire lengths for rear install were all plug and play, a nice kit for sure. It is also one of the cheapest Piaa kits available.

I have had great long term reliability with my high dollar PIAA kits in the past.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Great stuff, guys. Thanks for posting. To sum it up, it's pretty inexpensive and pretty useful; a no-brainer. I'm impressed that so many have done this mod and I really like that light under the bumper style. There are so many replies to comment on, but I read them all. Everyone seems to have the same opinion.

Thanks for the input.

:beer:
Mark

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Hey Mark.........

oops....am I too late?

I just found this kinda Kewl light tonight.

It's by Optilux and it's under their "work lamp" listings.

I thought I would share it. I have no idea where to buy it or how much it cost's.

Built-In Projector Style Work Lamp..........

BuiltIn_b.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Hey Mark.........

oops....am I too late?

Built-In Projector Style Work Lamp..........

BuiltIn_b.jpg
Yes too late, I'm not accepting any more posts. ;)
Okay, just kidding. Those look like nice lights. Very nice. They'd probably do the trick, too. I like the idea of a smaller light, but I like the idea of a $15-$30 light even better. A nice little guy tucked on the rear frame for a bargain would be ideal. These look like they'd be a great size for that application.

:beer:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
One thing that has come up is moisture intrusion in the high abuse environment of this mounting position. Sealed beam bulbs seem to work the best. Those reflectors that use replaceable bulbs (H1, H3, etc.) allow for points prone to leakage.

I know more than a few that have installed driving lights on the rear only to be disappointed when the housing was damaged, or it filled with moisture and dirt.

The rubber housing and a cheap sealed beam bulb are a good solution. If you go searching , look for something very water resistant. This mounting position has more than twice the potential for problems that would be found in a light mounted on the front of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior