How Much Do You Weigh?

davidv

Observer
I put full fuel, full water, and gear in my F250/Hallmark and headed over to the local CAT scale to see how I weighed in.

Steer Axle 5000lbs
Drive Axle 5920lbs

I'm curious to know what other peoples rigs are weighing in at and what your weight distribution is.

Post up.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Fully loaded for expedition = 5740 lbs.

Heavier in the rear.... not sure by how much.

That weight pushed me over the edge to get the trailer. Better to spread it out.

davidv

Observer
My thought exactly. I'm guessing with all the tanks, bumpers and gear we put on our rigs that a lot of us will be surprised at the scale

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Unladen,wet camper. Rear: 4000#, front: 4400#. Full tank of fuel,suspension upgrades. Combined weight: 8600# with all wheels on the ground. Truck was 6381# when I weighed it for smogging. That was running on fumes. I screwed up and didn't remove the spare tire and tailgate. Ca bases their "weight fee" on this figure.

S

Street Wolf

Might stop in and get weighed towards the end of next week when loaded down.

zidaro

Explorer
I put full fuel, full water, and gear in my F250/Hallmark and headed over to the local CAT scale to see how I weighed in.

Steer Axle 5000lbs
Drive Axle 5920lbs

I'm curious to know what other peoples rigs are weighing in at and what your weight distribution is.

Post up.

What hallmark model? and what is the gross camper weight dry?

milo12

Adventurer
Weight was the reason I got rid of my 1 year old Outfitter Apex 9.5. Ready to travel it weighed 3500 lbs. Basically it ruined the truck for other than driving on dirt roads. I figured why put up with a cramped camper when I can be in any RV and go to the same places.

davidv

Observer
Dry the K2 is around 1500lbs. I also have 40 gallons of water spare propane bottle and about 200lbs of gear and tools.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I applaud you for weighing your truck. Many like to throw around weights, often what they have heard others 'claim' or wild guesses. Actually weighing a rig on truck scales can't be beat for evaluating your distribution of weight, gross vehicle and gross axle weights, tire loads and PSI, etc. With hard facts we can make proper adjustments.

davidv

Observer
Thanks Redline. I'm a private pilot and have done some off airport camping with an aircraft (maybe a new section for the forum). In these situations knowing every pound and where it is in the aircraft is critical.

Milo12 what do you mean by ruined? Other then the obvious limitation over my other off-road vehicles (Jeep YJ and Type III 4 runner) like size, approach/departure/break over angles, I don’t see the weight of my vehicle as distinct advantage. When I was researching my build I spoke with friend who drove an international 4x4 7400 fire truck for the forestry service. His comment was that at 35,000 lbs you don’t loose traction, you just sink to where the traction is so just make sure the soft stuff isn’t deeper then your frame rails.

milo12

Adventurer
It is a matter of personal preference. I like to go out on very difficult jeep trails. The tougher the better as it keeps others out. My truck has custom suspension etc and is very capable considering its size.

The Outfitter weighed so much it made the truck way too top heavy. The truck was downright ponderous and dangerous on trails I previously easily did with 500 lbs of camping gear. In hindsight I should have bought the much much lighter Four wheel camper.

I did try an anti roll bar and airbags with minimal improvement. I then tried Timbrens and they worked well to stabilize the load. The problem was they ruined my suspension travel. I have 12+ inches of rear travel and the Timbrens cut travel to less than half of that. So now I had a more stable truck but was limited on where I could go with it due to the suspension limits.

So I found I was limited to the trails that any stock 4x4 truck could do and that just wasn't my desire. Others could be happy with that but not me.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Outfitters use the basement tank setup which raises the cog a lot. I rode in Sean Lorenz's '03 qc shortbed with the 8' Outfitter and even with his 2.5 system,it was all over the road. My Northstar w/Carli and Thuren components is pretty much invisible on dirt roads,but when you get into the rough stuff it adversely affects the handling. For trailworthyness,there's no beating the FWC. I do think they could widen it up a bit and retain 90% of the handling while greatly enhancing the comfort. I choked and didn't see the product when it was here at the Fred Hall Show in Del Mar. Wanted to climb inside. Didn't matter though as an $18,000 price tag would be prohibitive on retirement pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles