Bumper Sag

mitssan

Observer
I've been checking out everyone's build threads. They all look great. Lots of greeat ideas!

Last month I did my OME suspension with the heavy Springs up front and the medium springs in the rear.

The OME lift is supposed to be a 1.5" lift. When I first installed the lift the front was sitting about three inches higher than stock (with a stock bumper). After driving it for a month the front of the truck settled down to around a inch leaving it 2" from stock height. Now I have the winch and bumper on the truck and it is sitting about 1" above stock. I still don't have cable on the winch.

I'm considering mumping up the height by about an 1" to an 1.5". That would put me around 2-2.5" which is where I'd like it.

Any ideas on how best to do this? I was thinking spring spacers form a parts store or buying a simple leveling kit.

Ideas?

Maurie
09 Frontier Pro-4x

RonapRhys

Adventurer
When you added the winch bumper and winch you put a bunch of weight out there - potentially even the equivalent of a smaller person hanging on the front of the truck. This issue comes up with Xterra's with some frequency when people put on the Shrock, KMA, Calmini, or ARB bumpers. Stiffer springs made for the weight tend to solve the issue.

mitssan

Observer
The OME springs are the upgraded springs designed to take the weight of their bumper and a small winch. The are set for an added weight of 90-175 lbs. I'm a little disapointed with how low it is, and it hasn't even finished settling yet. Are people having better results with other springs?

mcm4090

Explorer
Probably your best option would be to get a set of adjustable coilovers. You can get them with a heavier coil like a 650lbs and adjust them up to compensate for the weight.

prerunner parts has the best price on them.

Strizzo

Explorer
i've been emailing back and forth with a guy at aluminess about possibly making a bumper for the xterra. they quoted me $1200 for a bumper in the same style as their FJ bumper, which weighs 43lbs. he estimated that one for the xterra would weigh around 55lbs.

probably not an option for you, but if/when i do a front bumper, i'll probably go with aluminess since i don't want the extra weight and suspension sag.

Rev

Adventurer
i've been emailing back and forth with a guy at aluminess about possibly making a bumper for the xterra. they quoted me $1200 for a bumper in the same style as their FJ bumper, which weighs 43lbs. he estimated that one for the xterra would weigh around 55lbs.

probably not an option for you, but if/when i do a front bumper, i'll probably go with aluminess since i don't want the extra weight and suspension sag.

Can you link to a pic of this bumper? thanks

Strizzo

Explorer
Can you link to a pic of this bumper? thanks
it hasn't been designed yet. they actually thought that all the years of 2nd gen xterras were the same up front, and they originally said they'd build the bumper, as they have an employee with an 06 xterra. they said they wouldn't be able to find a 2009-2010 xterra locally to fab up the bumper for, so they would pass on making me a bumper. if there is someone local to them that wants an all aluminum winch bumper they should give them a call and see if they'll design a bumper off your truck. similarly, if anyone with an earlier 2nd gen wants an all aluminum front winch bumper, i think they'd be willing to build one for you.

www.aluminess.com

emu

i had the same problem with my OME.
i went with spacers and had it made the height i wanted.
as far as i can remember. 1,75" spacer height gives 3" lift
so you would need a spacer with 1,17 for 2" lift

Last edited:

Nesnaitsirhc

Observer
Probably your best option would be to get a set of adjustable coilovers. You can get them with a heavier coil like a 650lbs and adjust them up to compensate for the weight.

He is right. This is why we put the bumper on the wife's frontier before we put the lift on. I wanted to see just how much sag we would encounter and make a lift choice based on the results. We decided to go with adjustable coilovers from PRG. I'll let you know how it works out. I should have everythink installed in 2-3 weeks.

mcm4090

Explorer
He is right. This is why we put the bumper on the wife's frontier before we put the lift on. I wanted to see just how much sag we would encounter and make a lift choice based on the results. We decided to go with adjustable coilovers from PRG. I'll let you know how it works out. I should have everythink installed in 2-3 weeks.

I hope you did not get Radflo coilovers. People are getting new Radflo coilovers with low charged, leaking, and making noise right out of the box.

bigdog

Adventurer

I've had this setup with the Shrockworks bumper installed for over a year now, no sag.

mitssan

Observer
Since I already have a heavier spring rated for the weight I have a feeling that it is just a matter of the OME lift only being 1.5 inches. Without the bumper it looked like a 2" to 3" lift. I don't hate the idea of only having a 1.5" lift, the bumper still gives me good approach angles. I'm a little worried about breakover as I'm use to a pajero with a 93" wheel base and now I have a 120" wheel base.

I have a buddy that is good with fab work who is going to skid the truck. I think I'm going to get him to build me some 1"strut spacers, similar to emu's setup. That'll level the truck out for gone moab (total 2.5" lift). If I don't like how it rides or looks or functions it's easy enough to pull out. It's hard to justify coil overs when I just did the ome lift.

Thought?

Maurie

mcm4090

Explorer
I would think if you add a spacer on top you would start getting coil bucket contact.
Can you post picture with the front end jacked up to show how much spacer there is between the upper control arm and the coil bucket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles