Custom plastic tank question.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
We are thinking of purchasing a plastic welder to repair an over priced fuel tank on a john deere. I have the big Idea to build my own custom water tanks to fit in my Off-road trailer (unstarted project) and a custom well insulated ice chest. My question is do any of you have any knowledge or experience in the fabrcation of plastic tanksand also the durability of the products I would be using. Wich is better? High Density Polyethylene or black UV resistant and white UL 94-VO Polypropylene sheet or Polypropylene Stress Relieved Sheeting. Can I put bedliner on the plastic to keep th UVs off?

Fresno

Adventurer
I have no idea which plastic to use, but I am very interested in building my own fuel and water tanks. I thought they would have to be rotomolded which is not cost effective for one or two tanks.

I did not know you could weld sheet stock into fuel/water tanks. Any links on how to do this?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We make our water tanks out of a drinking water quality plastic that does not contain Bisphenol A (BPA).

Our 20 gallon tank is expensive at around $400.00, but this reflects the cost of the higher grade plastic that is needed to store water for human consumption.

If you do manage to get it worked out I'd advise making the tank out of a dark plastic to reduce algae growth and welding in a clean out large enough to get your hand through.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Martyn, What kind of plastic welder do you guys have? I have never welded plastic before or even seen it done, but I have melted plenty of it. Is there any advice before we take the plunge on a plastic welding kit?

If the water tanks work out good I might try a fuel tank of some sorts, For now I am a fan of steel fuel tanks as far as auxilary tanks are concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles