Maggiolina Roof Load Question

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I just wanted to know, what is the maximum roof load you can put on a non-extreme Maggiolina, when opened. Basically, I need to be able to have some sort of awning to stretch over my trailer so that I can use the kitchen when it's raining, or get in and out of the Mag without getting wet. Etc.

Basically, my trailer looks like this right now:

3841749978_cd26ba2c21.jpg

Eventually, I'm planning on building an awning similiar to a Hannial on the kitchen side, and a changing room similar to the Autohome changing room on the other side. But I don't know if I'm going to get that done this year as I'm still working on a few other things on the truck.

So, in the meantime, I was thinking of using a tarp over the trailer, similar to the setup on a Conqueror trailer:

compact_top_header.gif

But I'm wondering how much weight I can have on top of the opened Maggiolina. I don't want a huge tarp, a couple feet all the way around. Maybe 10x15 or something like that. I think the tarp itself might weight something like 20lbs, but then you have to figure for the tension of the guy wires pulling down, and also potential rain load.

How much weight can a Maggiolina take when opened?

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Hi Rob,

I don't think you will find any official weight rating. Only listed rating I know is not to load more than 165 pounds on the roof of your vehicle, but you are in Canada so the rating is 100Kg or 223 pounds. In the real world the tents take serious abuse but the only Maggiolina I've seen broken from weight on the roof was an old Maggiolina Adventure, a special order model with a huge rack. The owner claimed he was trying to lift 350 pounds, I think it was probably more, and he stripped one of the acme lift screws, the fiberglass was fine. Pretty easy repair, just unbolt the old screw system and bolt in the replacement.

The only thing I have notice is that the fiberglass does not like "point" loading. The structural fiberglass is fine, just flexes, while the cosmetic gelcoat can't flex as much and cracks. These are commonly called spyders, cosmetic problem.

If you need to attach something to the roof, best to spread the load. I've made "chocks" for equipment that stays on the tent's roof to avoid point loading. Take a piece of wood, carve it to match the roofline where the load is, finish to match the color of the tent and then fasten it down with epoxy. It is on for life. OK, you can remove by using a very very hot putty knife sliding it between the chock and the fiberglass, the epoxy will melt and you can scrape the rest of it off by heating with a heat gun.

OK, too much information, if you give me specifics maybe I can be more specific. Hope this helps

Rich

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Basically what I'm looking at is simply draping a canvas tarp over the whole trailer. The center of the tarp will be laying on the surface of the Magg, the edges will be supported by tent poles, and tensioned with guy lines. So, no point loading, and obviously won't be installed while moving. I'm just wondering how much the lift mechanism can hold.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Rob,

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were going to attach a special awning system to the roof. You will be fine.

I have a really big parawing awning that I drape over my Columbus. The Columbus is not nearly as stout as a Maggiolina. I have a hook that I attach on the far side and then open the tent which raises the awning. All I have to do is tie one end to the car's bumper, put up a pole and stake it down a couple places and that is it. Can set up a table and have whole area next to the vehicle that is protected.

Have you ever seen a parawing style awning? They can handle higher winds, less flapping about.

Rich

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I have seen them, and understand the concept with the parabolic shaped edges. But I want it on both sides, so I'd need two... and ideally I'd like it all the way around the trailer, which leads to simply using a big tarp. I'll see how my work load pans out and decide if I should just do this for now, or attempt to build the awning instead.

Thanks for the help.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Really? I guess it shouldn't be on Photobucket then, turns up on a Google Images search for "Conqueror Trailer".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior