shock suggestions for an F-350?

strider3700

Adventurer
I've got a 96/97 F-350 cc lb. The shocks are done and need replacing soonish. the truck is stock sitting on the original springs. I'm looking for suggestions on a good but not insanely expensive set of shocks for it.

I do about 90% pavement 10% gravel and right now the gravel roads are pretty rough feeling. I semi regularly put 1000+ lbs in the bed and hope to soon be occasionally towing a 20ish foot RV behind me with a bunch of gear in the bed over those gravel roads.

I've heard a lot of recommendations for Bilstein's on here but never hear which model they suggest. A quick search came up with a heavy duty series (B46-...) for my truck but they also had a 5100 series which gave lift height measurements.

Any other shock suggestions?

Fish

Adventurer
Define "insanely expensive".

I'm putting 5100's on my Dodge 2500 sometime in the next couple of weeks. But I intend to upgrade to the remote reservoir 7100's or maybe even 9100's at some point in the future. The advantage to the bigger shocks is that they can be custom valved to your application and taste. And the reservoir helps to dissipate heat. The 7100's would likely be a good upgrade from the 5100's if those don't do the trick for you. Figure around $200 each plus tuning costs.

bat

Explorer
Just go for the 5100 great out of the box, to me all that other stuff is a waste of money for your application.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I agree with the other guys. Get the Bilstein 5100's. Great shocks. I ran the 5150's on my prerunner a few years back and they held up great to the beating. For your application the 5100's are solid. Bilstein is a great brand.
Good Luck

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Agreed, 5100's, but a shackle reversal will really make a huge difference on how the truck handles/rides.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
eleventeen the Bilstein recommendations - highly endorse that suggestion, but are those in the price range that you were thinking of?

If they're too much then you might try a set of Gas Magnum Monroes. That is assuming that they are the same product that they were 18 years ago. I put a set on a Ford Econoline tow/camp van that I had and was very happy with their on and off road behavior. They aren't a Bilstein, they aren't a something for nothing purchase, but for what they cost I was very, very happy with them.

strider3700

Adventurer
The 5100's are about the top of my price range so given the recommendations here I'll keep an eye out for them on for a good price. I'm assuming given enough penetrating lube and swearing I can do the change in the drive way relatively easy.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
So far loving my Monroes. Cheaper then the others, work just as well plus got a life time replacement on them. Best deal in town! And yes they do work well off road too. Best bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned.

jagular7

Adventurer
Well, I'm also looking for a set of shocks for stock vehicle, 2005 F350, 6lTD, crew cab, cab and chassis, single rear wheel (11,500GVW). Bilsteins has some heavy duty's for the front (F4-BE5-C295-H0) but nothing for the single rear wheel. They list for dual rear wheels. This is not a pickup. The rear shocks are mounted in front of the rear axle. I've got a call into the west coast for support but no return yet.

Are the HDs any different than the 5100s? I'm looking for stock replacement. This is only my commuter and toter.

strider3700

Adventurer
ok I was getting ready to buy some 5100's but now I can't figure out how to pick the right ones.

the bilstein catalog lists them as being for lifted trucks and for my 96 it says for a 4" front lift a 2" rear lift the fronts are in development and the rears are available.

My truck is stock height. any idea if these are actually available for a stock F350? or should I be looking for something else?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Go to 4wheel parts wholesale on the web and get the phone number for the Portland Oregon store. Call them and ask them which ones you need. They sell them for a good price and will ship. (No taxes in Oregon). I bought tires and shocks from these guys before we left Squamish for our fall/winter adventure last year. They are easy to deal with!

strider3700

Adventurer
Thanks I gave them a call and after listening to my uses and looking they said a 5100 in stock length is effectively a 4600 (HD) painted a different color and that it may be a tidge softer but I'll never notice considering how far gone my current shocks are. Looking around online I've found a few threads where people have contacted bilstein and been told by their engineers the 4600 and 5100 are effectively identical except for a minor difference in valving, the lengths, and the paint. And they state that at non race speeds/conditions someone is very unlikely to notice a difference.

So I've got 4 new 4600's coming. currently the truck is on what I believe is the original factory shocks with 150,000 km and 14 years of age on them... should be better ;)

While I was on the phone with them I added a steering stabilizer kit since the truck used to have one but it is missing the damper. All told shipped from california taking exchange rates into account This complete order cost less then I was quoted on some monroes no steering damper from a couple of local shops. The locals really need to get their pricing sorted out if they want to get me back as a customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles