7.3 idi vs 7.3 Powerstroke

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Okay, so I have been searching for a clean Dodge Cummins truck of the 92-96 vintage. Lots around, but most seem rough. I am expanding my parameters to include 94-96 F350s as well. I currently drive a 92 F350 with a 460. I have owned a 96 F350 with the powerstroke before. The main question is, is the 7.3 idi (94) engine any more reliable than the powerstroke? I know there were block cavitation issues, but there is no hpop etc to worry about. The power difference is only about 20 hp from 94 idi to 94.5-96 ps. What to do?
Thanks for the help guys. I know I could go to powerstrokes.com etc, but want input from expo type people, not tractor pull folk!:sombrero:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
I am unsure as to the engine difference but one thing i do have experience with is the front suspension weight handling capabilities. My dad had to 95 and spent a lot of money having the suspension fixed because the engine weight. once it was fixed it was golden though. I drove that thing more than my dad did. I should add that his was a F250. My old Ag teacher has a 94 idi and it is still on the road. unsure of any problems he may have had and IMO as long as it was not the 6.9 garbage all is good

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I have a 6.9 and take offense to the GARBAGE comment...she's a beast..just needed a little turbo love to get there...:sombrero:

the IDI is easier to work on...more durable in the long run and easier to run alternative fuels in...

the powerstroke will make power FASTER and has many upgrades that make it superior to the IDI.. and the hpop isnt a big deal if you know how to take care of it...

given the choice...I would get the powerstroke...I have the IDI..love her..but the stroke is more fuel efficent and a better platform in my opinion...

if you want something thats equivelant to an old tractor as far as reliablity and ease to work on...but is also like an old tractor with out-dated tech and antiquated feel...get the IDI...

you want something more modern and reilabe/buildable...get the powerstroke...

both will give you 300K no problems!

but like I said...I LOVE my IDI...and when if the engine goes...I would more than likey replace it with an IDI...but I HAVE looked at many newer trucks in the last year..and its always been the powerstroke 7.3 that gets me excited...the 6.0 and the 6.4 are bastard turds that killed fords diesel repuatation...

for INFO on the ford...goto www.oilburners.net they are the BEST site on the net for the ford IDI and powerstrokes..

Darwin

Explorer
What to do is really very simple. Keep the truck you have, sell the motor, and do the Cummins conversion.

I own an IDI and while I do not believe it to be any more or less reliable than a powerstroke, it is atleast much cheaper and easier to repair.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
While I don't have any input on the IDI, I own a 7.3 PSD. I have nearly 200k on it with no problems, and love it. I agree with Wander that the PSD is a better "build" platform as there is an extensive amount of aftermarket part for that motor. FYI, I get about 19mpgs on the Freeway cruising at 67mph, about 14-15 around town.
Good luck on the decision, and keep us posted! :victory:

chasespeed

Explorer
You could really go either way, as noted. I've had 2 7.3PSDs(one OBS, and one S/D), and a 90 IDI.

Reliability... well, other than the lift pump issues I had on the IDI, and sometimes is a miserable bugger to start in cool to cold weather. But, probably needed Glow plugs... anyway, they were all good motors. Once I have this damn injection pump rebuilt(1200+), I will have more money in repair parts into this 12v Cummins, than any of those trucks combined....

Take it with a grain of salt.....

The advantage with a PSD, is the ability to add more fuel, and keep the EGTs down..... The IDI doesnt have a turbo typically(I konw the 94 had it as an option, and ATS offered it aftermarket), so, adding fuel, requires constant monitoring of your Pyro.....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What to do is really very simple. Keep the truck you have, sell the motor, and do the Cummins conversion. .

This was the original plan, however, the fact that I can get $8000 for my gasser and buy a PSD or IDI 7.3 for $4000-$4500 in same shape... ( Where I live a rust free crewcab is like gold... And I know where and how to get a steal on trucks). Anyhow, I am going to be further ahead to sell, and then buy a new one. I also no longer need a crewcab which helps the bargain buying power. I found a 96 that is identical other than color to the one I bought new in 96. I have always regretted selling mine. This might be my second chance!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
While I don't have any input on the IDI, I own a 7.3 PSD. I have nearly 200k on it with no problems, and love it. I agree with Wander that the PSD is a better "build" platform as there is an extensive amount of aftermarket part for that motor. FYI, I get about 19mpgs on the Freeway cruising at 67mph, about 14-15 around town.
Good luck on the decision, and keep us posted! :victory:

I look forward to the 19+ mpg highway! My wife and I spend as much time as we can in SLO and Pismo! Gotta love Giuseppe's wood oven pizza!!!! We drive 3 days for that pizza whenever possible!:sombrero:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
sometimes is a miserable bugger to start in cool to cold weather. But, probably needed Glow plugs... anyway, they were all good motors.

I have a 6.9 IDI in my rig, and it will start without the block heater and without any issues in 10 degree F weather. It might start colder, but I've never tried. If the engine is in good shape and has all of the standard wearable items addressed, the IDI motors are extremely reliable. I take great comfort in the fact that I literally have three wires going to the engine. 1 for glow plugs, 1 for fuel cut-off solenoid, and 1 for the coolant temperature sensor. That is it! Everything else is mechanical, and if you have a knowledge of diesels, all issues can be quite easily diagnosed and sometimes repaired with limited tools in the field. I have no experience with PSD's and can't comment on that aspect of your question.

Spence

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
This was the original plan, however, the fact that I can get $8000 for my gasser and buy a PSD or IDI 7.3 for $4000-$4500 in same shape... ( Where I live a rust free crewcab is like gold... And I know where and how to get a steal on trucks). Anyhow, I am going to be further ahead to sell, and then buy a new one. I also no longer need a crewcab which helps the bargain buying power. I found a 96 that is identical other than color to the one I bought new in 96. I have always regretted selling mine. This might be my second chance!

DO IT!!!!!:smiley_drive:

I have a 6.9 IDI in my rig, and it will start without the block heater and without any issues in 10 degree F weather. It might start colder, but I've never tried. If the engine is in good shape and has all of the standard wearable items addressed, the IDI motors are extremely reliable. I take great comfort in the fact that I literally have three wires going to the engine. 1 for glow plugs, 1 for fuel cut-off solenoid, and 1 for the coolant temperature sensor. That is it! Everything else is mechanical, and if you have a knowledge of diesels, all issues can be quite easily diagnosed and sometimes repaired with limited tools in the field. I have no experience with PSD's and can't comment on that aspect of your question.

Spence

gotta love an engine that you can keep running with a shoelace on the fuel valve!! (dunno if the IDI's are like that..but the industrial equipment motors Ive seen will run with just the valve tied open!)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am seriously put off by the cost of injectors for the PSD. I realize that I may never need to replace them, but I also may have to do them all. At an average of $250 per, it would be a $2000 dollar bill for parts alone. Man, what a drag that would be! At that price, a cummins swap is on the books! I am still looking for the right truck. I have a 96 F350 ZF5, a 94 idi F350 ZF5 and a 94 Dodge 12v with FASS pump, fresh tranny etc all in my sights. The Fords have better bodies, but I like the Cummins more than the T444s. What to do?
I guess I gotta go drive all 3 and meet the owners and see which has the best drive and "pedigree"! :smiley_drive:

Rot Box

Explorer
IDI's are great imo. I have really grown fond of them over the years. I was in a similar situation and I settled on the IDI over the OBS PSD. For one Parts are everywhere and very cheap. You can find running IDI motors for well under $1k where a used Power Stroke will cost you much much more. Mechanical injection--enough said! One hot wire and a simple as dirt injector pump/injectors are easy to service and don't cost much money to replace when they eventually do go bad. Trouble shooting problems and having a better chance of fixing them on the road was another major seller for me. These motors will start in very cold weather too as long as you keep your glowplug system maintained.

The PSD will make more power, but with the right engine timing and a good turbo (which are also very cheap to find used) the IDI can put out plenty of power and provide decent fuel mileage. Even without an intercooler (OBS PSD's don't have one either) my EGT's never get scary with my loaded down camper. I bought mine planning to do a Cummins swap, but now that the IDI is running smooth I really don't see how I can justify the cost of the conversion. Having owned many diesel trucks I will say that the IDI's are just as hard of a worker as the PSD and Cummins they just take a little more time to do it and that's fine by me :coffeedrink:

unsure of any problems he may have had and IMO as long as it was not the 6.9 garbage all is good

....:Wow1:.......

psychohawk

Observer
This was the original plan, however, the fact that I can get $8000 for my gasser...

$8,000 seems very optimistic for a 16+ year old gasoline pick up, particularly in this rough economy.

My neighbor has a 94 extended cab, 4x4 with 35k miles, original owner, well documented life, not a scratch, immaculant so cal truck that he hasn't been able to sell in over a year. Why? 460 engine, 10 MPG. Oh, and he wants quite a bit less than $8k.

I passed it up in my search, bought a 91 IDI, more miles and more wear, but had the diesel.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
$8,000 seems very optimistic for a 16+ year old gasoline pick up, particularly in this rough economy.

My neighbor has a 94 extended cab, 4x4 with 35k miles, original owner, well documented life, not a scratch, immaculant so cal truck that he hasn't been able to sell in over a year. Why? 460 engine, 10 MPG. Oh, and he wants quite a bit less than $8k.

I passed it up in my search, bought a 91 IDI, more miles and more wear, but had the diesel.

Would you like to see the bank draft for $7,800??? I guess optimism and knowing your local market are the key to getting what you ask for! In all fairness, my truck was VERY clean.
I am leaving in an hour to drive about 12 hours to buy a PSD for around $4500. Also a spotlessly clean truck! Regular cab though... I no longer need a crewcab.:sombrero:

tlbrewer

Observer
I've had 3 IDI's over the last almost 10 years. Still have 2 of them. Great trucks! My hot rod is a Duramax. No need for a Powerstroke. I will say the 92-97 crewcab Fords are the biggest crewcabs. Had a 92 and it was a bit roomier than my 06 Duramax crewcab. Course if you're not looking for a crewcab...

Another thing to consider in the pre-Superduty Fords. Standard cab F250's came with the IFS(TTB) D44 in front, Supercab and crewcab(96 & 97) F250's came with the IFS D50, and all F350's came with the solid axle D60. Food to ponder if that's important to you.
And yes, the diesel was hard on the IFS springs. Put in an add-a-leaf for less than $150 and ride height is back to normal and ride is fine.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hulk4runner