SUV Tent?

SpeedAgent

Adventurer
Anyone have one of these? What are your thoughts? Is it a good setup for kids in the SUV and parents down on the ground in the actual tent?

thanks,

Chris

*I have an 80 series Land Cruiser with extended tailgate shocks so any feedback on the fit of these on larger SUV's would be great.

Last edited:

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I haven't really used that kind of setup, but I've got a side tent for a van (this one) which I've hooked up to both our old Range Rover and our Discovery on occasion. We used to put our oldest in the back seat, and we slept on cots in the tent. It worked out OK. It's important to make a barrier under the vehicle, otherwise it's very drafty.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I got a Nissan "Hatch tenT" for my Xterra and it was priceless

We could sleep in the X and dress and play cards/eat in the tent

I've modified it for my jeep, but haven't used it camping yet

IMGP0651-Copy.jpg

With a guick disco, you have a free standing tent, you can go expolring-

They are great for security, if intruders show up, either shotem or jump in the vehicle and close the door !!

:wings::costumed-smiley-007 JIMBO

Scoutman

Explorer
I have one similar to Jimbo but it was made by Jeep for our XJ. I like it but haven't used it with kids. We used it mainly as a place to leave our stuff and have outlets for power and lights. I have lights in the hatch of the XJ that made it nice working/setting up in the tent. When you got ready to drive off, just unhook a couple of straps, pull back the tunnel, zip up that side wall and you're free to explore. :victory:

18seeds

Explorer
I just used one for a trip to Moab. The back of my truck was my bedroom and the tent was my living room/changing room/ kitchen. Mine is huge and has a ton of room. It's nice to keep your stuff off the dirt as well as keeping your sleeping area much cleaner than if you were sleeping on the ground.

IMG00036-20100508-1515.jpg

I got to camp and first set up the tent. Backup the truck and unloaded everything into the tent. One side of the tent I put all my dirtbike gear, mtn bike gear and clothes. The other side was a cooler and supplies. It was great to be have a nice big enclosed area to change and do some lite cooking with my jetboil inside the tent.

When I left just loaded up everything back into the truck. Pulled away and packed up the tent. All my stuff was clean :)

What is also nice is the ability to unhook the tent from the truck and drive away with little work.

Sloan

Explorer
I just used one for a trip to Moab. The back of my truck was my bedroom and the tent was my living room/changing room/ kitchen. Mine is huge and has a ton of room. It's nice to keep your stuff off the dirt as well as keeping your sleeping area much cleaner than if you were sleeping on the ground.

IMG00036-20100508-1515.jpg

I got to camp and first set up the tent. Backup the truck and unloaded everything into the tent. One side of the tent I put all my dirtbike gear, mtn bike gear and clothes. The other side was a cooler and supplies. It was great to be have a nice big enclosed area to change and do some lite cooking with my jetboil inside the tent.

When I left just loaded up everything back into the truck. Pulled away and packed up the tent. All my stuff was clean :)

What is also nice is the ability to unhook the tent from the truck and drive away with little work.

What brand is that tent?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Not that it supplies any extra room for kids, but it's perhaps worth mentioning that I had this thing (search for "Explorer II SUV tent" to find them; about $120):

SUVtent.jpg

on my Grand Cherokee and later on the AdventureDuo Series 80 Land Cruiser.

I thought it was an outstanding addition for the money. Went on easily with some built-in bungees. Added ventilation, view and made the back seem much less claustraphobic. It was especially great on the Cruiser with it's dropdown tailgate, as it enclosed that extra 18 inches or so and gave considerable extra floorspace.

These are one-size fits many and thus cannot be made to fit snugly all the way around. Not so much a problem for leakage, because the gaps show up at the bottom around the bumper and bottom sides, but it'd be just good luck if it fit any given vehicle tightly enough to keep the bugs out, especially with a light inside. But in relatively bug-free locations, I thought it was great.

zjrog

Observer
We like ours, its a cheap knock off but sets up easily, plenty of room inside and I can stand up in it just fine. I'm 6'3". Downside is, the opening isn't quite tall enough for my ZJ hatch. Just wish I had better pics of it...

BlackrockSept09001.jpg

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
We like ours, its a cheap knock off but sets up easily, plenty of room inside and I can stand up in it just fine. I'm 6'3". Downside is, the opening isn't quite tall enough for my ZJ hatch. Just wish I had better pics of it...

BlackrockSept09001.jpg

Same issue when I was shopping for one. Not a lot of tents are made for lifted discos with big tires.

Apparently not many garages are made for them either. I'm about A FOOT ton tall for my garage.

-Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles