Fresh Water Storage

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, I think KC was referring to "velcroed'", not nipple. And, though I am not the linguist you are, I do think "eyeing" is also a verb.:rolleyes:

Scott Brady

Founder
The bags Slee has are very HD with anchoring gromets, a fill cap and a pre-fitted supply line with valve. Basically turn key. It would work very will in the footwell of an SUV.

paulj

Expedition Leader
How about this pickup water storage tank? It is baffled.

200412854505.jpg

http://www.sei-ind.com/cfm/index.cfm?It=900&Id=44&Se=8,14

I came across this while trying to figure what a Bambi bucket is (a forest fire fighting tool).

paulj

smbisig

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
for smaller, transportable water volumes, I am using the MSR 6L Dromedary bags. Easy to store, protable and can be rolled up when empty.
dromedary_bags.jpg

i have a friend who works for cascade designs (a.k.a. msr) i have been meaning to ask him a few questions about the bladders. mainly, if they are thinking of building anything larger than what they currently have available. they do a lot of military equipment, so its possible somethings already out there.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I have a 100oz. MSR dromedary bag that I have had for years, and I actually used it for quite some time as a bladder for my hydro-pack since my old one busted. (which, by the way, I do not recommend the MSR drinking tube and adapter for the MSR bags - the two that I tried both leaked and I had to use a hose clamp with them). Anyway, I always experienced a bit of plastic/rubber taste with that bag, esp. when in hot summer temps. Not overly offensive, subtle, but there nonetheless. Very well built bags though, and I will continue to use it for back-up water. I have abused mine on lot of backpacking and paddling trips. Scott, did you notice some taste to the water on the Prescott Overland trip? My memory fails me at the moment, but I thought I had gotten some of that taste from the MSR bag you had in your truck too.

Scott Brady

Founder
Henry, I have the 10L bag too. I really like them.

I have it in the wheelwell behind the drivers seat. Just incase something happens with the 30 gallon unit in the bed (leak, contamination, etc.).

I always keep it full.

Having a portable watersource is critical for safety. If the vehicle breaks down, or becomes stuck and you need to walk out, do you have enough water to carry with you?

Another reason for the survival sack to be a Camelback or similar.

YJ Dave

Observer
It's a short term water suply, but I always have a Camelback on my seat to drink from. The nice thing is it never spills and if I want to go for a hike I always have water that is easy to hike with.

GeoRoss

Adventurer
I also love the MSR dromedary bag. They are very rugged and I have never had one leak. I also use 7 gal polyethylene "cube containers" w/ the spigot. I just love having the spigot. One thing I like about the cubes is that they pack very efficiently and I have never had one fail. I can also carry them to and from a water source that I cannot drive to. I have seen people break the spigots through over tightening. I have yet to find a way to always have the spigot pointing down though. Sometimes it is perfect, other it is way off.

On big group geology field trips, we often have a cargo van with a 250 gallon water 'pig'. Driving that van with a fully loaded water tank was a bit weird.

I have been trying to come to a better water 'solution'. I do like the idea of not relying on a single container. You guys raised a very good point. I may just leave things as is for the near term.

Ross

Dave

Explorer
For the past five years or so, we've used a Reliance "Jumbo-Tainer" seven gallon container. It has a spigot that works pretty good and you can even buy filters that screw into the cap. I like the size and shape of the container, the foot print is relatively small and is fairly easy to manage. We usually store/pack it standing up while on the go. We did have one finally fail on our trip to North Carolina a few months ago. One of the corners cracked, I was able to limp it along for the rest of the trip with duct tape. I've never had to buy any replacement parts, but the gasket, spigot, and screw on caps seem to be readily available. While we were in NC, I was looking for an exact replacement and couldn't find a whole new container, but most places had replacement parts. Reliance uses the same spigot and cap on a few of their containers.

We'll likely be carrying two of these containers on our upcoming trip to Utah, but we'll also be camping at developed campgrounds with a water source so we can refill as needed. I don't think these would be a good solution for trips that will not have access to fresh water for a week or more, but they may be a good solution for a backup or secondary source if you already have an on-board tank.

B000C8BUZY.01-AJK3N5IUBWKZM._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55961640_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles