Toyota Prado/Lexus GX470

haven

Expedition Leader
In the Philippines I had a chance to drive a new Prado with 4 liter V6 diesel engine. This was a revelation -- powerful, high revving, clean running, fuel efficient, and really fast considering the weight of the Prado. The engine runs so quietly that it's hard to hear it at idle from inside the vehicle. The 5 speed auto with paddle shifters was fun, too. Plenty of luxury appointments as well.

If this sort of engine finds its way into USA vehicles in the next few years, I'm going car shopping!

Chip Haven

Brian894x4

Explorer
Toyota's coming out with a V-8 diesel for the overseas Land Cruiser.

I would hope to see that in the U.S. market Land Cruiser and maybe the Tundra, since I would have to imagine a brand new diesel like that should end up meeting all the new U.S. diesel standards.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Again, as has been posted around alot, it looks like after EPA standards on diesel's go up, Euro5 will be coming along (and being a higher standard)and making all these Euro/Non-us market diesel's importable... just wait till 2008+

:safari-rig:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'll add my vote to those who would LOVE to see a Toyota diesel /Prado, Land Cruiser, or ???

I really like the gas V8 in my new 4Runner, but would absolutely love it to be a turbo-diesel.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Haven, you lucky bastard! Im just sayin'!

My GF is from Manila and we are going back.. you're making me jealous!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have seen and ridden in TD powered Prado LCs. They are quiet, eficient, and have good power (for a TLC).

Until low sulphur Diesel fuel is mandated and available across the US, don't hold your breath. Or rather, DO hold your breath...

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Mike S said:
Until low sulphur Diesel fuel is mandated and available across the US, don't hold your breath. Or rather, DO hold your breath...

Why is it not available now in 2007? I believe the vast majority of states have switched diesel fuels???

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
pskhaat said:
Why is it not available now in 2007? I believe the vast majority of states have switched diesel fuels???

I don't know. The US and California in particular is not diesel friendly. I would kill for an TD powered 70 or 80 series that I could legally register, drive, and easily get parts for...

Almost stuffed a 1HD-T into my FJ60, but in the end it was just too expensive and dubious as far as legal registration. Sold the nice little 60, bought an nice little 80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles