RRC and Disco parts?

CruiseControl

Hello all,

Been a lurker on this and other sites for a while now, which has provided me with some invaluable information.

I have finally decided to get an RRC (more specifically a LWB)

I have found a good RRC for sale, but it has a damaged axle and differential. Not sure how this happened or which axle it is, i'm waiting to hear back from the guy.

Normally this would instantly remove my interest from the truck, because I need to be able to use this as a DD right off.

However, I have access to an axle and diff set off a 96 Disco. I don't know the spline count these have, waiting to hear back.

My question is would it be possible to mate the axles from the Disco to the RRC? I know that this is not a lot of information to go on, but I appreciate any info you can give me. I will add information as I receive it, or it is requested to the best of my ability.

Thanks

muskyman

Explorer
yes the whole housing can go right under it or you can remove the third member and shafts and swap them right in...take your pick.

third member and shafts is maybe an hours work tops.

sven

Adventurer
The only thing, some early 93 RRCs are 10 spline. Hopefully, yours is 24 like the D1.

CruiseControl

Thanks for the info.

The one I was looking at is a 93, but I don't have all the details yet.
Hopefully it is a 24, cause it would be a great deal.

sven

Adventurer
Yeah I know rr.net says that, but Ive heard of some oddities out there. With 93's you never know.

muskyman

Explorer
all US LWB's are 24 spline.

this is really not the case I have removed the 10 spline set up from the rear of 3 different LWB's

the funny thing is all three were 24 spline in the front and 10 spline rears from the factory without a doubt because I know the original owner of each truck.

starting in late 93 build dates they all became 24 spline like the disco.

There is also a difference in the early 10 spline rear shafts and the late ones. The early ones have a big crowned cap that you can see tell they are 10 spline without even pulling the shafts the latter ones in the early 93 trucks look just like a 24 spline shaft from the outside flange. All these truck need to upgrade is to pulle the rear shafts, swap the third to a disco 24 spline third and slide in the disco shafts.

SeaRubi

Explorer
this is really not the case I have removed the 10 spline set up from the rear of 3 different LWB's

the funny thing is all three were 24 spline in the front and 10 spline rears from the factory without a doubt because I know the original owner of each truck.

starting in late 93 build dates they all became 24 spline like the disco.

There is also a difference in the early 10 spline rear shafts and the late ones. The early ones have a big crowned cap that you can see tell they are 10 spline without even pulling the shafts the latter ones in the early 93 trucks look just like a 24 spline shaft from the outside flange. All these truck need to upgrade is to pulle the rear shafts, swap the third to a disco 24 spline third and slide in the disco shafts.

seriously? damn. i had read somewhere that the US bound LWB's had all been upgraded due to the 4.2 and additional weight. i stand corrected! maybe i'm thinking of traction-control equipped rangies ... there must not be any ETC trucks out there with 10 splines, eh?

cheers
-ike

evilfij

Explorer
All 1993 LWBs had ETC, some had 10 splines.

If it is a FRONT axle, you need to do something about the shocks as on a LWB they do not mount with a turret so the axle housing has an extra bracket. Anyway, you will have enough to make what you need out of what is in there and the 96 disco axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles