Question about BFG BAJA T/A

Bella PSD

Explorer
0711_4wd_28_z+1997_jeep_cherokee_sport+bfg_baja_tire.jpg

Anyone run the BFG Baja like the one in the picture? I am looking at a set of 37x12.5x16.5 from a HMMWV. I am hoping the wear OK like the older Goodyear MT military 16.5.

Thanks
Louie

Last edited:

wjeeper

My friend runs them on his desert racing truck. The rubber is a rather hard compound. Rainy roads are pretty sketchy with these tires. They have super stiff sidewalls and are super expensive tires if you buy them new too! If memory serves me right buying a set of four 37's will cost you $550 A TIRE!!!!

The hard rubber resists the chunking that happens in high speed desert racing. Great tire if your looking to go fast in the dirt:costumed-smiley-007......not so sure they are DOT approved either (not sure either way)

Bella PSD

Explorer
I went ahead and got 5 of the 37" BFG BAJA. They are the military ones. They might not be the T/A, but look almost the same. 4 are used but only down 3-4/32 from 18/32. One is brand new with a bonus 24 bolt bead lock wheel.

I have a truck driver friend out in California just by chance and his is picking them up for me and getting them back east.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
They are extremely heavy too. Most buggy racers don't use them. Not because they wouldn't be an excellent tire choice, but because they don't have the HP to spin them.

From what I've experienced with an old set of 33-12.50's their pavement wear is less than great even thought rubber seems fairly hard. They also tended to behave a bit like bias-plys when cold. Subtle, but definite flat-spotting there until warmed up.

Based on my experience; not recommended as a long term or mileage tire.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I won't get hurt much if they do wear fast because I did ok on the purchase price:)

I think the military version must be more like the Goodyear MT the BFG BAJA replaced but better in every way. Did some digging and found this...

BFGoodrich Tires are renowned for their nearly indestructible construction, supreme performance and confidence-inspiring reliability and the Baja T/A® tire is the perfect fit for the Humvee application.

"Being able to carry more weight and perform evasive maneuvers, such as double lane changes, are things that this tire does that the previous Humvee tire couldn't do," added Fred Wheeler, product engineer for BFGoodrich Tires military products. "We started with the commercial Baja T/A tires, which are well-known for performance and durability in desert racing and the end result was the BFGoodrich Baja T/A tire developed specifically for military applications, which now meets or exceeds the military's expectations. This contract also proves Fort Wayne's flexibility to produce this unique tire and begin production on an accelerated timeline."

Independent testing confirmed that the Military BFGoodrich Baja T/A tire:

* Carries an E rating load capacity of 4,540 pounds per tire at 65 PSI
* Has a 22.5 percent increase in projected tread life when compared to the previous fitment
* Has more wet pavement maneuverability (11 percent) and dry pavement maneuverability (8 percent) during evasive maneuvers when compared to the previous fitment
* Has better mud traction (20 percent) when compared to the previous fitment (Goodyear MT)

If that info holds up the BAJA military is going to be a really good tire for me!

And the 5 BFG's and one 24 bolt bead lock are loaded up on my friends semi and heading back to Ohio.

Bella PSD

Explorer
That picture in the first post is NOT the tire I am getting. I think that is the civilian BAJA version. The military version look like the photo below. I might call BFG and see what the differences are?

civilian baja
BFG%20BAJA%20civilian%20.jpg

military baja
BFGoodrich%20BAJA%20Military.JPG

And a few military baja with recentered rims
attachment.php

attachment.php

TurboChris

Adventurer
I used to run the non military Baja TA's on my 89 Bronco....they were great tires...I traded a guy a bunch of work for 9 new ones.....he had some kind of sponsored desert racing truck. So I ran them for years. Loved them. No problems with flat spotting (and my Bronco would sit regularly for a month at a time) or with wear.

Roudy

Observer
Military MT/R vs Baja TA mud terrain

I went ahead and got 5 of the 37" BFG BAJA. They are the military ones. They might not be the T/A, but look almost the same. 4 are used but only down 3-4/32 from 18/32. One is brand new with a bonus 24 bolt bead lock wheel.

I have a truck driver friend out in California just by chance and his is picking them up for me and getting them back east.

Hey Bella PSD,

How are these tires performing for you? I'm looking at either a set of these or the Military Goodyear MT/R for my Ford Excursion. I'll be running stock 12 bolt H1 wheels with spacers. How is the 3.5 backspacing on yours? Do they fit well? I'm looking at 4.5", 4" or 3.5" backspacing. Figured I would get the tires/wheels first, mock it up and then order the correct spacer.

The set up looks amazing in you pictures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles