Camp toilet

Definitely check out backcountry.com for the PETT system. Good price on a complete package. Although there is no substitute for a friendly sit while looking out on your favorite panorama, the PETT rocks, especially when you're in a less secluded area. Works as advertised. :sombrero:

kb7our

Explorer
Backcountry.com has them fairly cheap. I know Cabelas had them for 44 but Backcountry had them for 29 for a 12 pack. How many times are you guys able to use one bag. Pee to Dump ratio per person?

~2 days w/extra "powder" you can get before replacing bag :D.

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
X2 on that. I don't think my wife will go for that.

Anybody ever go river rafting or paddling as a newbie and get the infamous "bunker buddy" lecture?...

Our first trip, I thought my wife was going to murder me right there on the spot when they started describing how the process worked....!

Honu

lost on the mainland
What is bunker buddy process ?

From working on tourist dive boats have lots of horror stories :)
As they say on a ship/boat you never want to be the HEAD mechanic :)

Anybody ever go river rafting or paddling as a newbie and get the infamous "bunker buddy" lecture?...

Our first trip, I thought my wife was going to murder me right there on the spot when they started describing how the process worked....!

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
What is bunker buddy process ?

From working on tourist dive boats have lots of horror stories :)
As they say on a ship/boat you never want to be the HEAD mechanic :)

We ran into it at a paddling school in Oregon on the Rogue River. Apparently, it's a tradition among kayak outfitters to give the "river sanitation talk" a little something **extra** for the newbies. It starts with them discussing how important it is to pack in/pack out, keep the river banks clean, etc., etc. and then they get into the toilet part of the talk. Two guys haul up a rocket box, pull out a box of large zip-lock bags, and a roll of duct tape. Then with elaborate descriptions and pantomime, they describe how you "do" #2 in the wilderness (astronaut style...). They say it helps immensely to have a "bunker buddy" to give you a hand sticking the open end of a ziplock to your butt with strips of duct tape...it goes rapidly downhill from there.

Around this time, all the newbies are looking around, staring at each other (and especially the women) and you can hear
them thinking "are these guys shi*tting us? This can't be for real!". Eventually somebody can't hold in the howls any longer and then they give the real talk.

So the moral is, be careful in picking your bunker buddy -- it's a really ******tty job!

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Hahhahaha thats funny :)

I can totally relate :) dive guides river guides I think all of us agree a mind is a good thing to mess with :)

On Lanai we dove this one place a lot had a big cave you could drive a car into :)
On top the dive brief was
oK I am going to go into this cave and get some sharks to come out and swim around no worries they are really slow
Just stay on the sides and give them a way out :)
But !
If I dont come out in 2 minutes just all head up and wave your arms the captain will know what to do :)

If you dive you cant see in to a cave but you can see out just fine :)
So I go in watch them start to try to look in and they start packing up in front of the cave so I give the rear sleeping shark a good wack and about 6 sharks come flying out full speed brushing the divers :)
Hahahaaha you never saw so many bubbles
Just white tips so no biggy
But a few might have wished for a strapped on bag by the looks in their mask :)

But everyone comes up saying that was one of the most exciting dive trips they have had :)

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
@Honu --

You guys are just sadistic! The fun-est bit I remember from the paddling school talk/demo was when they got to what to do with the bags AFTER use...they had a great time describing in exquisite detail how to be sure to squeeze all the air out of the ziploc before zipping it closed, and to "press it flat" so the rocket box didn't fill up too fast, because "we've only got the one box and it has to last the whole trip!"

By then people were rolling on the ground laughing hysterically.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I worked on boats 15 years about :)
I think its just stuff ya do to tourists in good spirit :)

Here is a funny one
One of my sayings in the dive brief is dont touch it unless it touches you first :)

Cruising along with my group I notice this huge you know what floating mid water About 20 feet away As I go past I just hope nobody else sees it
Well this one lady sees it grabs it and well underwater your only senses are touch and sight and not sure what she thought it was
But as she grabbed it looked at it then squished it between her fingers she quickly realized what it was :) hahahahahha

Honu

lost on the mainland
Oh, well Honu, that's a different story altogether!!! Actually, not bad, really - 1 per day for 2. Maybe I'm lucky ;)

hahahaha awesome :)
I know I have a easier time going behind a tree if I need to than my wife and daughter and want to keep things neat for the wife :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz