Camp toilet

Scott Brady

Founder
There are times when you either cant, or dont want to dig a hole, so what do you all use?

My plan is to use this (on the way) in my Tepee shower enclosure.

This is the only company I could find where the bags are biodegradeable. So you could dig a hole and bury the waste.

http://www.biogroupusa.com/portable-camping-toilets.html

biotoi4.jpg

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Scott, will that actually decompose if you bury it? I am a bit skeptical of that... seems like you would have to actively composte it to get it to degrade?

I was taught the 'pack in/pack out' method... certainly if this is an acceptable method, it would be a bit less hassle w/ garbage packing.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have the P.E.T. System and the wag bags for those occasions when it is required - I try and travel light so a hand full of wag bags and a nice hole can work too. :archaeolo

If you do it right it can be a no trace deal.. I find it amazing that we humans make such a big deal out of it. It is not to hard to make it work right out in the woods. Cows do it - birds do it - all animals do it -

here is the definitive book on it :)

How to ******t in the woods

Wag bags

a few FAQ's on the wag bags

Q: What is in the powder?
A: It is a specially engineered mix of a non-toxic polymer based absorbent, along with an organic decay catalyst & odor neutralizer (no perfumes).

Q: Tell me more about the bags?
A: The bags are degradable; they are made with a patented blend of polymers and natural starches to break down in landfill conditions after 6-8 months, depending on conditions. There are two bags, one funnel bag w/ powder to contain the waste, and a heavy gauge zip lock bag (12"x10") to secure and transport waste. They are approved for disposal w/ normal trash, as group II non-hazardous waste. The bags will work in any marine, R.V. or household toilet.

Q: Is it ok to use the bags without the PETT®?
A: Yes, the WAG BAG® can be used in any toilet, hollowed out log, bucket or by simply laying it on the ground. It is used by rock climbers and backpackers.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I always thought human waste was not like animal waste b/c of what we eat... but anyway, so do you bury your wag bags Pasquale?

That is what I'm getting- the PETT w/ wag bags. It seems to be the choice-de-rigeur.

On another note, never knew there was so much written about crapping in the outdoors! lol

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have a nice fold up military shovel and have done so in the past - but finding a park dumpster is not hard to do :)

Yeah the vegitarian thing... :Wow1:

fold-shovel.gif

I remember what you said about being king of the mnt at DVDaze05 - I still can laugh at that comment :)

njtacoma

Explorer
Camp Toilet

When I was a raft guide, on longer multiple day trips, we used an ammo can (50 cal I think) and a trash bag, they called them "groovers" because of the indents left behind, anyway later someone added a simple toilet seat with 2X2's on the bottom to keep from sliding off the ammo can.

We had to pack out all solids, so we set it up when we stopped to camp, than tied off the bag the next morning, that evening took a new trash bag, put the previous bag in and started again, no smell from the previous day that way. After the trip we found the first available public dumpster to ditch the bag.

I think packing it out is a good idea if you can, if I remember correctly they closed a section of forest near the beginning of the Rubicon last year due to all the human waste in the area.

Scott Brady

Founder
Life_in_4Lo said:
Scott, will that actually decompose if you bury it? I am a bit skeptical of that... seems like you would have to actively composte it to get it to degrade?

I was taught the 'pack in/pack out' method... certainly if this is an acceptable method, it would be a bit less hassle w/ garbage packing.

They are designed to decompose completely in 40 days. They adhere to leave no trace disposal guidelines.

GeoRoss

Adventurer
I went on a Grand Canyon Field Institute wilderness studies class some years ago. We were going through some of the side canyons in the west end of the GC. We did this excerise where everyone took two bricks outside (9 people) and then placed them in a 1/2 acre plot. We had no clue what we were doing. The instructor then informed us that we had just plotted ~2days of 'catholes'. It was an eye opening experience at the impact a group can have in enclosed area ie a slot canyon, especially in a basecamp type of situation.

Ross

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Ross,
I'm not a very experienced outdoorsman; by plotting catholes do you mean that there was a 1/2 acre of human crap??

I remember some discussion about this a long time ago where someone said that you shouldn't bury waste in the desert but to smear it on rocks ?!

Anyway, it is good to know that burying approved bags is in line w/ responsible wheeling. Anything is better than the disgusting display I saw at the Rubicon... :Wow1: :mad:

GeoRoss

Adventurer
This was simply to show how 'concentrated' a popular area can become. So if you can hold it and maybe do your business a mile or so from the high usage areas you would be doing the area a good turn.

The last best practices with regards to pooping in the desert was to use shallow cat holes, 2-3". Since there is not a well developed soil or soil bacteria the only way to break down/sterilize poop is through solar radiation. On the surface would be better, but gross.

Ross

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
After the trip we found the first available public dumpster to ditch the bag.

I've searched this forum quite a bit... Is the above method legal and/or sanitary? I mean throwing a plastic bag full of ******** in a trash can? Not a Wag bag that has gelled the waste but just a plastic bag of... stuff.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Not sure of legality in parks etc. but disposable baby diapers also go directly into public disposal cans everywhere as well.
Ward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz