1999 Dodge Ram 2500 build

LJ_24

Adventurer
I recently purchased a dodge ram to build up. I am not sure about what I'm going to do with the dodge ram, but I do know that I'm looking for many ideas on this forum. Hopefully I can build the truck to suit all the expectations that I have of it. So here's a list of the things that I did to the truck since I got it 2 days ago. I know that the only real upgrade was the terra grapplers but I think it's good progress:smiley_drive:pls give me some feedback and ideas for upgrades, my intent is to build this truck to be an expedition rig:) the second picture only shows the spoiler partially taken off lol Does anybody know where I can get a light bar that allows me to retain the stock front bumper?

Mods:
Full detail and wax
Took off the lip on the front bumper
305-70-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Tinted Windows

DSC05840.jpg

DSC05842.jpg

1speed

Explorer
I say, pull the chrome nerf bars off before you rip them off, load it up with camping gear, and go get it dirty! Mine's been a ten year evolution, see what you like and dislike about it first. One thing to remember is that thing is wide! It will get lots of "pinstriping" so if that bothers you take something else to the boonies. Enjoy!

I also noticed the running boards on the picture of your Landcruiser in my truck thread. Unless you need them for someone with ingress, egress problems I would take them off. And the tinted headlight covers have to go! :elkgrin:

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
Great trucks. Agreed load it up and hit the dirt! :coffeedrink:

I'd keep an eye on front ball joints, rod ends and wheel bearings. On my old 01 they all seemed to go bad at once and it was e-x-p-e-nsive! :Wow1:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Hmmm....I just bought an almost identical truck (also a '99). I was wondering if the gray paint on mine (bottom edge) was factory or not, as it is fading pretty bad. I guess it is. I've got that same tweaked bumper too.

Yours looks to be in a little better shape than mine, but I've got some bling-tastic, mall-certified wheels on it (click here if you wanna barf).

I say you put a FWC on it, and go have fun.

:smiley_drive:

oltmann

Nice looking truck.

The front bumpers are easy to re-align. Just did mine last weekend, after way to long of ignoring it. 3 bolts per side hold the bumper on, and one on each end for the stays. Loosen them all, align and tighten.:smiley_drive:

LJ_24

Adventurer
Hmmm....I just bought an almost identical truck (also a '99). I was wondering if the gray paint on mine (bottom edge) was factory or not, as it is fading pretty bad. I guess it is. I've got that same tweaked bumper too.

Yours looks to be in a little better shape than mine, but I've got some bling-tastic, mall-certified wheels on it (click here if you wanna barf).

I say you put a FWC on it, and go have fun.

:smiley_drive:

I say that you get it xlined:sombrero:

D

DEEZLPWR

nevermind im tarded

Last edited by a moderator:

1speed

Explorer
if im not mistaken, your year has the ISB24 valve. with the bosch VP44 injection pump.

If this is the case, your first task is to replace the lift pump ASAP. It WILL fail, not a matter of if, but when.

I got a raptor 250 lift pump that pulls its power from the battery instead of off the ECU and it keep things running nicely. I also highly recommend doing the vent tube modification, gauges (pyro, boost, oil etc).

I had to replace the entire fuel system as the lift pump got weak and dropped below the critical 8psi to keep the vp44 running and $3000 later i have not had a problem since (purchased a edge juice with attitude monitor along with it).

These things need to be FIRST on your list if you plan to keep the truck running. If you have questions i can answer them :)

By the pictures it looks like his is a gasser.

LJ_24

Adventurer
does anybody know where I can get an aftermarket light bar for the front that retains the stock bumper?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I wish it was a diesel, I'd have more options for upgrades:drool:

Yea -- I thought it was a diesel too.

It's kind of funny -- every time I see a 2nd generation Dodge on this forum, I assume it is a diesel. Every time I see *any* other vehicle, I assume it isn't a diesel.

:snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior