Egg Crate as padding?

M

modelbuilder

Was thinking of buying an egg crate to sleep on in the tent...I'd like something really thick.

Anyone use these as padding? What thickness do you recommend. I figure they are cheap and can be rolled up and stored in a tight space with the cargo.

Joe

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I use a Z-Rest, does that count? I guess it's more sized for quail eggs though.
tar_zlite_angle.jpg

The Z-Rest I have is over 13 years old now. Many nights and many miles (backcountry by foot and by vehicle).

Desert Dan

Explorer
Good for comfort but you still need some insulation (closed cell foam) between you and the ground. look at backpacking pads

Take a look at an extra large (LxW) Thermarest pad. They roll up pretty small and self inflate (sort of).

labbe66

Observer
My wife and I use an egg crate foam pad for sleeping in the tent. As a single layer they are too thin. You can feel the ground more than in a properly inflated Thermarest. So we put Thermarests on top of the egg crate. This gets pretty comfy and plush. When traveling alone I have used the egg crate folded in half to get two thicknesses and that is quite nice. When family camping we take those pads, two pads for the kids, two kids sleeping bags, two adult mummy bags that zip together, and a down comforter that helps keep the wife warm. That all adds up to a LOT of space when packed down and a lot of crap to pack and unpack when setting up camp! I am currently looking for a simplified solution but I haven't found the right one yet...

crusader

Adventurer
I am currently looking for a simplified solution but I haven't found the right one yet...

{HIJACK}: You might check into some sort of vacuum bag setup. Everything you have is mostly airspace. If you have onboard air you can use a vacuum generator to evacuate the bags in the field. {/HIJACK}

As for the original thread, this place sells all sorts of foam pretty cheaply:

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Dale

Adventurer
labbe66. try it the other way with the Thermarest on the bottom and eggcreate on top you'll love it.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I've used a 3" eggcrate pad.
Works great.
But now I moved up to a 3" memory foam pad in my Maggiolina Airland RTT.
Even better!

safari%20copy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior