Fridge/Freezer Question

Bergger

Explorer
Okay so I got some cash and get to do a little shopping! After I go get my new battery and winch tomorrow, I'm seriously thinking of getting a fridge/freezer, Norcold or Engle. I need to be able to move it between my Tacoma Dbl Cab the the Xterra. The Xterra is easy, dedicated factory 12v plug in the back and easy to secure to the floor. My question is how to best mount it in the Tacoma. Taking the back seat out is not an option, my daughter would be a little upset. So my options are to simply level it and secure it to the seat, any issues with this(?), or in the bed of the truck. The bed is probably the best option although not secure, but would I have to worry about all the bouncing around it would do damaging the fridge? I know how much things bounce around back there when offroading and that concerns me. Any input would be appreciated.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I have seen both options in use, for the Tacoma. Securing in the cab on the seat is an option, you could also possibly fab something up on the back of the 60/40 rear seat fold down part. I would recommend a slide-lock, or even two and have one in both vehicles. If you opt for the bed mount it would work well too.

TwoZone has what is called an ezy-move which is wheels that can attach to the fridge, and makes it easier to roll around more like a dolly. Slick little product. TacoDoc has one.

Bergger

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm looking at the Engle MT45 or the Norcold MRFT 40, basically the same product, and both are 20" in height. But never have used one I'm not sure how much room I will have to open the fridge if I mount it on top of the folded seat. That may be my best option, do you think I'll have enough room to get into the fridge? Do they put out much heat?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Bergger said:
Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm looking at the Engle MT45 or the Norcold MRFT 40, basically the same product, and both are 20" in height. But never have used one I'm not sure how much room I will have to open the fridge if I mount it on top of the folded seat. That may be my best option, do you think I'll have enough room to get into the fridge?
I do not know. I have a platform in the rear and my fridge mounts to a slide that slides out my door, I never have to worry about the roof. That might be an issue though.
Bergger said:
Do they put out much heat?
Nope. It is very minimal if any from what I have observed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne