Foxwing awning on a trailer?

go4aryd

Adventurer
Has anyone installed a Foxwing on their Chaser, Horizon or other trailer? Would love to see your setup!

go4aryd

Adventurer
Thanks, Scott. If you have any pix you can share that would be great.

I am thinking they are a nice option with a few extra panels to close in away from the weather a bit if needed. Could you add a panel for each segment or only a couple?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As I just wrote to Dave, after you open up your 270 degrees of fabric coverage, there is a cinch strap that has to be connected from the end forward. This means that you need something sturdy and approximately Foxwing-height to tie off the strap on and pull the awning tight. On a vehicle, you could use, say, a roof rack tube on the opposite side of the awning. But based on having had Dave's Horizon for a while, I couldn't think what there was that was tall enough, far enough forward and sturdy enough to connect to this strap on a Horizon/Chaser-type trailer.

My rig's not here or I'd take a picture. If someone has a picture of a deployed Foxwing . . . well, worth a thousand words, I suspect. ;)

go4aryd

Adventurer
Wondering how much leverage it needs - it would be easy to add a third awning bracket to a corner of the Horizon, perhaps on the opposite rear of the main box if it cleared the tent.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Wondering how much leverage it needs - it would be easy to add a third awning bracket to a corner of the Horizon, perhaps on the opposite rear of the main box if it cleared the tent.
It needs a pretty sturdy connection. The tension you put on that strap is what determines how floppy the fabric is in the wind. I've no idea how to measure such a thing, but think in terms of the kind of pull you use tying down a motorcycle to a trailer.

The last panel of awning fabric will end up parallel to the rear of the trailer, so the strap will run toward the front. You need attach it several feet forward (or the angle will be too steep).

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
I have one on my base camp trailer which has also been changed over to have a globetrotter tent. I made the mount adjustable so that it is lower for travel and then high enough for me to stand under when deployed. I think that the extensions or side would be a nice finishing touch but they are nearly $200 per section.

I have been too slack to take pictures yet. Maybe I can get some this weekend after I finish the hotwater heater.

go4aryd

Adventurer
I have one on my base camp trailer which has also been changed over to have a globetrotter tent. I made the mount adjustable so that it is lower for travel and then high enough for me to stand under when deployed. I think that the extensions or side would be a nice finishing touch but they are nearly $200 per section.

hmmm, perhaps in Australia. Foxwing extensions are only abt $80. Example: but this seems to be a common price.
http://www.racksforall.com/rhino-rackfoxwingawningextensionpiece.aspx?CAWELAID=484813192

go4aryd

Adventurer
Anyone know how many extension panels can be used on the foxwing at the same time? Just two, or can you have several for more of a base camp set up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online