Rough road toy hauler build, My rally support trailer.

DesertJK

Adventurer
New walk on diamond plate roof build.

Sorry for the phone pictures. I don't usually stop when doing a project to take pictures unless they are required for inspection purposes.

Last year the snow did a little warping on my roof. It was slight, but just enough to allow water to puddle around the A/C unit when level in a heavy storm on the coast, and when the ice and snow was melting. I could have prevented it by keeping the roof clear of snow, and I probably will this season, but I also like having the piece of mind that I don't have to. Walking around up there is a plus too. I will be great at motorcycle races or track days to be able to see the track from my pits. I am going to make a ladder this winter. I have not decided where to put it, proably on the front.

2011-10-1712-02-46153-M.jpg

Hard to see, but I pulled the over lapping trim off the front, and left side.

2011-10-1712-01-59554-M.jpg

A/C control unit took 5 minutes to remove.

2011-10-1816-39-44242-M.jpg

The A/C with the outer cover removed. It weighs about 50 pounds and is fragile and awkward. I pulled the trailer up next to the carport so I could set it on the roof. This worked out well. Trying to lift it down a ladder would have broke something.

2011-10-1816-40-17473-M.jpg

1/16 aluminum diamond plate layed out and lined up. I was able to tuck the edges under the trim I left on. I will use a marine sealant between the plates and around the edges. I don't want water getting between the old roof and the diamond plate. If it does it wont be much, and it wont leak since the old roof in still water tight. (it only leaked around the AC)
I went with 1/16 because it was $375.00 for 3 4X6 sheets as opposed to $670.00 for 1/8". I also choose it because it was thin enough to squeeze under the trim, and it weighed less. So far it feels plenty strong. Even though it is not tacked down yet, I don't feel it buckling under my 200 pound body, with boots on.

2011-10-1816-40-37655-M.jpg

The Jeep that tows this trailer. 2008 Rubicon Unlimited 6 speed. 33" HanKook MTR's, Rock Krawler 2.5 mid arm kit, Bilstein Remote reservoir shocks, American Racing Mojave Wheels in Teflon coat.
I had airbags in the stock springs but blew them up because they were a bad design. I am going to order some up that fit exactly in the new springs, unlike the firestone ones I bought that fit weird.
Of course a Ripp supercharger is on the list. I was ready to buy one, but bought an entire, almost useable airplane for slightly less than a supercharger. I need to make some money for a while, and then maybe I will put a Ripp on the top of the list again. Even so, the little 3.8 is not THAT bad. At least thats what I tell myself. I got 15 MPG driving 70 MPH on a 2 lane highway with 2 bikes in it. I run Non-ethanol super if I can, makes a huge difference and around here in less than .10 more per gallon.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I like your trailer but like the toys better. I ride a KTM 200 and a Montessa 315r Trials bike. If camping next to each other we would be twinkies.

wittrrider

Love those Montesa's nice bikes, the Sherco is new to me, I am really loving the trials riding, it has made me a better enduro rider, its like rockcrawling for dirtbikes. I love the KTM is it awesome! I probably would have bought the 200 also but the 250 popped up for a good deal.
Roll on up to the north woods and we will go for a ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles